Lineage 17.1 - FP2

It was hinted (really) earlier in that (long) thread: modem firmware files are causing the bug. They’re old, yes, but firmware files are supposed to be as old as the hardware itself, so the bug probably isn’t in the hardware/firmware part but probably more in the firmware/software part (which changes with new Android versions).

The bad news is that this firmware is part of the “binary blob” stuff which in not open-sourced by the modem manufacturer. And given that the Fairphone 2 really is a kind of niche, there is no hope for that to change…

2 Likes

I recognized that I cant select anymore where to save my pictures in the stock camera app.
I have a working micro SD card but since a few weeks the pictures are saved in the internal storage.
I looked at the LOS update changelogs but couldn’t find something.
Does anybody know something about it?

2 Likes

I noticed the same.
But did you ever manage to save the photos to the SD card before? It had never worked for me, when selcting the SD card as storage path, the photos wouldn’t get saved. Maybe the option was removed because of this?

1 Like

While I never practiced this (saving photos directly to the SDXC) myself, I agree with Alex’ observation that it was always somewhat tricky to actually realize this. Recently I have actually come to advise people to a different behaviour: Let the camera app keep saving to the internal storage and move larger batches of photos to the SDXC manually (i.e. file manager) every now and then.

My assumption behind this is that it’s better to let the camera app work with the quickest, most instantly available and most reliable storage – the internal storage – so there’s no risk to have the camera app stalled from a backlog of photos. You can still make room later.

1 Like

Hi, it was dropped from lineage indeed.
17.1: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_packages_apps_Snap/+/291025
18.1: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_packages_apps_Snap/+/294911

Chris

6 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation!

Actually, it had become a bug with the LOS camera with the introduction of scoped storage as I see in the links given above.
Myself I use OpenCamera and have no problem with saving on the SD card.

But thanks for the advice, I may use it if I decide to switch back to the stock camera.

1 Like

Yes, i did.
On the SD card and then: Android/data/org.lineage.snap/files
But with Chris comment we have the answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

The mobile data issue doesn’t seem to be one on my phone currently but I found something else: On FPOS when the screen turned off automatically I could turn it on again by pressing the power button but without having to unlock the phone if all that happens within a few seconds. I found the setting in LOS, too. It’s under security->screen lock settings->lock after automatically turning off screen (or similar, my phone speaks German). The value that I set there is ignored, I have to also disable “On/Off locks phone immediately” to use this feature. Does that work for anyone else?

Thanks,
Martin

1 Like

It was mentioned in may already:

I myself can confirm what you experience.

1 Like

I had a dream for Christmas … and have it for 2021… :wink:

2 Likes

Juste wondering now. Did you have an SD-card formatted as internal or external storage? Mine is external, and perhaps that’s why I had bugs saving photos on it.

As external, if i’m right.

1 Like

Hi
In my case the random reboot happens after charging the phone. About 5-10 reboots, then everything is fine until the next charging. It can not be the battery since it happens even if the phone lays still on the table. And no problem when moving around with it. I have my FP2 since about 5 years. Switched to Lineage OS about about two years ago because of Android10. Currently installed version 17.1 with update from 18th December. I have the problem since about the beginning of 2020, it must have come with some of the Lineage updates.
Happy New Year,
Markus

1 Like

As LOS 17.1 for FP2 became official in March 2020, that would mean since you installed it. And it also means you can’t have installed LOS 17.1 2 years ago.

As for me, I noticed these reboots in september-october, but I probably had a few before.
And they’re not as often for me (once a week) and not necessarily while charging. It may be another problem for you.
Did you nevertheless try another battery, it may help (you could contact a fairphoneangel perhaps)?

I continued to use LOS 16.1, have spared me the installation of 17.1, because I expect me more no improvement in stability
But I can give you one suggestion:
If you have root access you can try
Battery Charge Limit

the program will stop charging before reaching 100%.
I have set it to 92%, and I believe at least that my reboots are less.
2 Likes

I had a reboot this morning just after disabling flight mode, and I’m wondering whether my reboots don’t happen when there is a reconnection to the network. I’ll look more carefully next time.

Switched to 17.1 in April 2020
Update nightlies roughly every 2-3 weeks

#) Reboots
Never had any random reboots during normal operation.
Maybe this is because I regularly (almost daily) shut down the phone completely.
But - I do experience occasional, unintended reboots when shutting down. Roughly every 10th shut down.

#) Mobile issue
Over the time it changed behavior
. at the beginning only first connect successful, no reconnect possible - had to reboot completely
. in between (summer/autumn) better situation - repeated reconnects without reboot more frequently possible. But never fully predictable.
. presently back to ‘works only once’. The trick with switching to flight mode doesn’t work for me (never has, as far as I can recall)

1 Like

Yes indeed! I hadn’t said it in my post.

Same for me.

Yes, and then for me flight mode would sometimes work, and then sometimes wouldn’t.

Same for me, though even switching flight mode for 5 minutes doesn’t work (really five minutes, shorter may not work) for you?

1 Like

I never checked out the flight mode option really systematically.
But right now flight mode 1-2 min didn’t work.
Previously (some months ago) longer flight mode (10 - 30 min) didn’t work either.

2 Likes

@chrmhoffmann any hope for LOS 18.1 on FP2?

2 Likes