LED backcover on the Fairphone 2

Dirk, please wear appropriate protective goggles, we don’t want you to blind yourself, man!

Sorry for long time no updates :frowning:

Been away for two months and now funds are a bit low (and thus free time also) to work on not-directly-paying jobs.

BUT!!: I am getting some new parts tuesday/wednesday, then you guys will get a big-ish update probably/hopefully :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, so.

Ehm.

Good news:
I got some working parts where I can use the FP2 to -directly over usb- control the LEDs and pwm them & all that

Bad news:
There are some restrictions that will make it practically impossible to use the FT311D with this phone as a standalone application using the back connector and no external power supply.

Conclusion:
Project suspended untill further notice.

1 Like

As per my knowledge the LED is a 4 chip one (so actually 4 LEDs in one package) that is rated for 350ma per cell. This means that you could turn one on full brightness and there is still some power to spare. However, when going for white it is best to turn them all on as the efficiency of the LED goes down when the power per cell goes up.

hdi pcbs

Do you have more info on the restriction there are?

I don’t know if I am allowed to share. But it was enough to piss me off :stuck_out_tongue:

All true. Also, pwm can be used for mixing colours, and strobing can be done on crazy brightness as long as the average power is not over ~500ma.

One more attempt with the 32U4, this microcontroller is already tested to work with the FP2 by keesj, should be good.

1 Like

Ok so, it works and it is pretty bright.

6 Likes

Can it be configured using the buttons? E.g. volume up/down is brightness, multifunctional button is different modes/colours/etc.

not yet

20characters

Just to have some kind of record about this for people that want to know more. Is it a ATmega32U4?

yes

i will keep record here and on my github, but no halfway info, so will update all when i have something ~90% working

1 Like

My eyes are bleeding.

8 Likes

uploaded first sketch from the phone onto the board, big happy.

1 Like

Ahahahha I love the part where u show the room with flash and then switch on the other …

Q: Does the LED draw insane amounts of power?
A: Yeah, obviously

Q: Will it get (as an inevitable concequence) crazy hot?

Q: Will it need a heatsink not to melt the phone?
A: Yeah, that sounds like a good plan

Q: But will it look AWESOME?!?!?

Q: SHOW ME THE AWESOME
A: That is not a question, but sure:

8 Likes

Have you ever considered using those crazy bright Cree LEDs? Most pocket flashlights use them and they seem to produce a ton less heat while still giving off a ton of brightness.

well, yeah i have :slight_smile:

(surprise: i am using them!)

2 Likes

Ah, my mistake. Ignore me :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you planning to sell the RGBofthedead case ? I would love to buy you one !

No sorry, I quit this project due to hardware restrictions on the phone side and lack of documentation to implement anything else.

2 Likes