Lawnchair — different versions

On this forum most people recommend Lawnchair as an alternative launcher. I am using Lawnchair 2 from Play Store but it seems that consensus is that one should use the version from IzzyOnDroid F-Droid repository instead. But why? I tried it and it is missing many features from the old app. What advantages am I missing?

1 Like

These are the alpha Versions of the new comming Lawnchair-2 launcher.
(When it comes as stable? Who knows…)

The one in Playstore and f-droid are version 1. Development ended in 2019.

If you need all the features implemented in v1 but not yet in v2-alpha, you have to use v1
I’m really happy that not all features are implemented in v2 and is as small and tiny as it is.
For me v2 is perfect and really stable.

Old:

New:

1 Like

A good alternative might be the Lawnchair fork: “Omega launcher”. Full of features and FOSS. Same look and feel…

2 Likes

As long you use Google+Play Store you can also try Nova Launcher (I have seen this being recommended many times the past years). My feeling so far was, Lawnchair was proposed by those not using Play Store.
Even when you don’t want to use Google+Playstore, you can use the Aurora Store to download all apps from Play Store (just paid are a bit tricky).

2 Likes

I have been using the F-Droid Lawnchair app (default repository) for more than a year now in my FP3 and I’m happy with it. Once I configured it, it works like a charm and remains very stable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use Nova launcher. It works similarly to Lawnchair, but is not open source.

If you’re not using the F-droid open source store, might as well go with Nova.
I don’t see a difference between Playstore Nova launcher and Playstore Lawnchair, except that Nova got updated much more recently, which is a big plus in my book, given security considerations and how important the security of a launcher is, because it deals with a large part of your phone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.