Latest news [11-07-2017] and FAQ - Fairphone 1 KitKat 4.4.4 update

Thank you @YtvwlD for those explanations. You helped me decide that next bootable update, be it alpha, beta, or final (one can always hope), should make it to the FP1 at home :slight_smile:
The unofficial version, however, won’t ever do it for me.
Cheers,

2 Likes

I overread that you where talking about pre3. Still, Fairphone isn’t too perfectionist. At the moment @jftr is simply working on making 4.4.4 bootable. So there is no fancy new feature involved.

Also, pre3 is released to all customers, it is just not available through the FP updater.

2 Likes

Hello, in the opening of this thread I read about the two issues with 4.4.4. (Bluetooth does not work reliably with all the devices, and the battery level also keeps dropping unexpectedly.)

That’s really funny, I don’t need Android 4.4.4 Kit Kat for these issues. They´re accompanying me since 3 years. In the meantime, I’ve got the impression that’s quite normal.
My second impression also is a bit strange. I received a mail from Fairphone that says my Fairphone is almost at the end of its life cycle. After three years - that’s extremely fair! It contradicts the company philosophy. On the other hand the update for the FP1 lasts and lasts. It seems as if the first customers (the useful idiots) are forced to buy the FP2.

FYI, referring to your second impression:

2 Likes

Yes, and behind Mediatek Android code, there’s modem baseband firmware, which nobody has access to and probably contains security holes.

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/replicant-developers-find-and-close-samsung-galaxy-backdoor

If you want to be safe, use :telephone_receiver: :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: FP1 crashes all the time

2 posts were split to a new topic: Why is this post flagged?

So what is the last working KitKat Version for FP1 and where can I download it?

pre3 is the last release.

2 Likes

Is it possible for Fairphone to add FP1 to LineageOS for LOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2)? I’m referring to that other phones with proprietary blobs from pretty much every manufacturers are made available without any support from neither the manufacturer nor proprietary hardware manufacturers like MediaTek or Qualcomm. I’m guessing there is a group of handy programmers owning FP1 who’d like to see a newer version of Android than KitKat 4.4.4?

The chipset vendor alone is not relevant. What is much more relevant in this regard is thee specific chipset, in FP1’s case MT6589. As far as I know there is no other phone with that chipset that has received LineageOS.

Apart from that the FP1 developer community is practically non-existent.

Edit: You could of course try this xda porting guide for cm 11: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-port-cyanogenmod-10-2-11-mt6589-t2814498

3 Likes

Thank you. Do you by the way know, if theres a Fairphone updater apk available somewere for thes build. I lost mine somehow.

Hi douwe,

Where could I see it? I would like to help.

Thanks

2 Likes

They are not allowed to make FP1 software open source… :unamused:

2 Likes

Thank you Stefan,

I don’t get it. Why?

All the best

1 Like

Please do some reading on the blog:

3 Likes

Any news?
I begin to fear, that the FP1 is abandoned.
-No batteries sold anymore
-No displays sold anymore
-This strange newsletter about the FP1
-Really not a lot of progress in developing KitKat für FP1. In two years we will not need the update anymore…
-No changes here: https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-fairphone-1-kitkat/issues

My big problem is, that the FP2 is much to big for me.
So I will buy an used Iphone SE if my FP1 noes not work anymore… :frowning:

Anyway, thanks a lot to Fairphone! I think it changed already a lot.
And the FP2 is a great phone! Some friends are really happy with it! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s been 10 months. Still… waiting… and… obsessively… checking… this… topic… :sleeping:

10 Likes

Hey @emma and others,

The latest news about Fairphone 1 has been posted here:

If you have questions, comments or want to share your ideas, please continue there.

Best,
Douwe

2 Likes