Kola Nut 1.8.5 manual update

@DjDas: Thanks for your answer. Can you please direct me to the download of the new launcher. I’m not able to find it.

1 Like

During the beta, for some users, what helped was installing the update again and then install the Google Apps. You could also try to flash the Google Apps using recovery. The Fairphone update downloads a zip file which is then applied after a reboot. You could try to install the zip manually using the the recovery, if you manage to find where the uploader stores the file. I know some users are doing this, but i cannot remember the thread where they describe their procedure.

I think the problem depends on the external partition manager. So i solved the problem by downloading and installing manually (recovery mode):

1. FP Version 1.6
  2. Storage Upgrader
  3. FP Version 1.8.5

I don’t know if it is yet available, I did a quick search on announcements but I don’t see any link, sorry!

Hi all,

I have a similar problem as mgkoeln and Yasien. Unfortunately, the fix proposed by Yasien does not solve mine.

I also manually updated my FP1 from 1.8 (original partition layout) to 1.8.5 (original partition layout), which worked without any issues. In the next step, I updated to the 1.8.5 new/unified partition layout using the 1.8.5 storage upgrade. Then I wanted to re-install the Google Apps and I experienced the same problems as mgkoeln and Yasien. The file is downloaded the phone restarts, but the Google Apps are not installed.

I also tried the proposed solution from Yasien, downgrading to 1.6, storage upgrade and then update to 1.8.5. Here I first tried to downgrade to 1.6 (unified storage) using Fairphone Updater. The file was downloaded and the phone restarted, but the installation appeares to get aborted and the phone reboots into 1.8.5.

Finally, I also tried to downgrade using the recovery mode and adb sideload. Here the file was succesfully send to the phone, but then the installation is aborted again.

To summarize:

• Google Apps cannot be installed
  • Downgrading to 1.6 or reinstalling of 1.8.5 does not work when using the Fairphone Updater or adb sideload
  • Furthermore, in recovery mode my SD card is no longer recognized

Do you have any idea what went wrong and how I can fix the problem?

Did you clear all caches in the recovery? Else I can suggest is only to try a second or third time. These update processes sometimes fail in the first attempt and go well in the second. Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Stefan thanks for your reply.
Yes I cleared all caches in the recovery and I tried several times to install the Google Plays store.
Moreover, I tried several times to re-install 1.8.5 or downgrade to 1.6. using adb sideload. Unfortunately, in all cases the installation is aborted.

Does anyone else experience similar problems?

The launcher introduced in 1.8 won’t come back. We will offer the v2 launcher as a separate download later on for the users who desperately want to use it.

3 Likes

@rick: Thanks for this information. Am I guessing right, that the v2 launcher will be neither maintained nor improved in the future? Will the source code be available?

3 Likes

Hello Tilman,
I have exactly the same problem as you.
In fact, I did the installation steps in the same sequence as you with fp1-zip files and now also have the feeling to be stuck, like in a dead end road. I cannot downgrade to other versions,SDcard is not recognized and appstore doesn’t install correctly.
Maybe our sequence of installing was wrong.(Guess something like that was mentioned above already).Maybe the correct way is: FIRST F1p storage-upgrade and THEN the OS upgrade for the FP1U…right now,I got no idea what to do. Cheers, Chris

• Try to connect your sd-card to your computer. (By taking the sd-card out of your phone and put it in separate usb-connector to your computer).

• Take this file to copy/paste the .zip file (keep it as a .zip file, so do not unzip it!) to your sd-card. You need the file FP1U - Mid-2014 (2nd batch) & FP1 with unified storage because you already preformed the storage update. You only have to apply the storage updater once.

• Put your sd-card back in the phone.

• Restart the phone in Recovery Mode.

• Apply update by going to navigate to the correct folder on your SD card where you put the .zip file.

• After the installation, select “Wipe cache partition”, and wait till you see “Wipe cache complete”.

• Reboot your Fairphone.

Does this v1.8.5 include any security updates which weren’t included in v1.8, or is it just bug fixes?

i think you have to install all the files manually from the internal SD-Card using the recovery mode. For me it did not work with the “FP updater” too and I didnt try to install it from the adb sideload.

I downloaded the files directly with my fairphone (I do not downloaded and copied the files from the PC). If the download folder is not recognized in the recovery mode, you can copy the fils directly to the internal SD card.

Hello Lidwien,

thanks for your detailed instructions.
I did everything like you described it. But as said before, after performing the first update, it’s not possible for me any more to access the internal OR external SD-card from recovery mode.
I stored the zip-file in the main folder of external SD-card (alos via PC) and also of to the internal storage.
-> Recovery mode doesn’t “see” any files.
I also tried other folders of the internal storage(internalsd-card).
-> No luck.
In all attempts, the recovery mode (command: apply update from sdcard) doesn’t show any zip file. The screens looks like this, showing an empty folder:

Android system recovery <3e>
Choose a package to install:
/sdcard

…/

The blue highlight cannot be moved, that means I cannot navigate to other folders.
BEFORE my first update, I could access the EXTERNAL sd-card here.
NOW it seems that the recovery mode does “see” the external card any more (SD card unmounted? how to mount?).

I used the File manager to copy the zip files to other folders on the INTERNAL storage.
Is there any folder, that can be accessed from the recovery mode?
@Yasien: If you say , you have put the files to the internal storage, how did you do this? Did you copy the files to the main folder of the internal storage or is there somewhere a “hidden” folder, which the recovery mode can access?
Summing up, my general problem is, that I can’t navigate nowhere from recovery mode in order to access any zip file.
Thanks a lot for your help!

@Yasien: Where do you exactly store the files on the internal storage? in the main folder? Thanks!

@ChrisCuritibano Can you do a ‘wipe data/factory reset’ in the recovery mode. Reboot, stop, restart the phone and then try the correct update.

Hi Lidwien,
Ok. I just did that.
1.wipedata/factory reset performed
2. reboot of system performed (during start-up process a symbol and text “Preparing SD card” appeared shortly in the upper left corner of the display
3. switched off the phone
4. entered again recovery mode
=> still no access to the external sd-card.

Maybe you should format your SD-card before copying the zip-file there?

Hello Stefan, I also tried that now. I erased the sd card (with the FP function), copied the zip file from the computer to the card. With the FP file manager I can access the sd card w/o problems. But from the recovery mode, I only can see this “empty” folder. no data. no way to navigate.

_____Does this work?

1 Like