Kola Nut 1.8.5 manual update

The links are correct. If you have a FP1 with unified storage you have the same layout as a FP1U device, therefore the FP1-Fairphone_OS_v1_8_5_OTA_2015-05-07.zip is the one you need.

We edited the article slightly to make it more clear.

4 Likes

Do the GravityBox settings get lost during the update? In other words, do I have to setup GravityBox again after the update?

Nothing changed for me in GravityBox. But it never did with any update.

1 Like

OK, so the GravityBox settings must be in some user directory! :sunny:

1 Like

Hat alles prima geklappt. Leider funktioniert die Installation von Google Apps nicht. Nachdem ich Google APP heruntergeladen und die Aufforderung zum Neustart ausgeführt habe, ist alles unverändert.Ich werde erneut darum gebeten, Google Apps zu installieren.
PS. Gerne auf englisch antworten. Ich kann nicht so gut auf englisch schreiben.

[quote=“Yasien, post:121, topic:3474”]
Hat alles prima geklappt. Leider funktioniert die Installation von Google Apps nicht. Nachdem ich Google APP heruntergeladen und die Aufforderung zum Neustart ausgeführt habe, ist alles unverändert.Ich werde erneut darum gebeten, Google Apps zu installieren.
[/quote]=
Everything went fine. Sadly, the installation of Google Apps does not work. After I’ve downloaded Google Apps and executed the request to restart, everything is still unchanged. I’m still asked to install Google Apps.

1 Like

And when I try to reinstall an old version (1.6 or another), I cant install and get the message that there is no cache space (after installing 1.8.5 I wiped the cache)

Now i restored my FP to factory settings and still have the same problem: i cant install the Google apps. Im using fp1 and upgraded the storage

I manualy updated my fp1 to 1.8.5 and it works very good. Even the google installer works perfectly from the fairphone updater app. Bluetooth and gps seems to work fine. The looks and use is like 1.6. Good job Fairphone

3 Likes

Which version do you have now? Are you on 1.8.5?

This worries me a bit. I don’t have google apps installed and I don’t intend to change that.
Now if the updates causes the keyboard to crash regularly (and maybe some other problems), is there a solution that doesn’t require a google account?

My keyboard does not crash at all. So far I didn’t found any problem with the update. But I’m not actively looking for them :wink:

Yes, im on 1.8.5 and everything went fine, except the described problems. Btw: i have used this description for upgrading my storage: Fairphone-Freunde. Maybe here’s the problem?

No need to be worried, the keyboard crash is a well know bug which only occurs if you had Google Apps installed before the update. It’s actually cause by the Google Apps replacing the Android Keyboard and then crashing if it does not find some Google libs after the update. It therefore is fixed by reinstalling Google Apps.

This problem has not be seen (regulary) with user not using Google Apps, so you should be unaffected.

2 Likes

Well, that is quite possible. If you did not use the official storage updater but repartioned the system yourself, this could actually be an issue, because the partition table could be different then expected. My best guess would be to undo your manual partitioning and sure you use the official partitioning – however if have no idea how to do that. Maybe somebody else here in the Forum or at XDA can be of help.

I solved the problem by downloading and installing manually (recovery mode):

1. FP Version 1.6
  2. Storage Upgrader
  3. FP Version 1.8.5
3 Likes

All worked for me with a couple of minor wrinkles. I put the file on sdcard0 but recovery only seemed to look at sdcard1, also curiously some of my folders on sdcard1 were not displayed in recovery including the ‘Download’ folder. I moved the update file into the root of sdcard1 and it worked fine. Gravitybox was not enabled so I had to re-enable that. One widget had to be deleted and re-added. I use Go Launcher so my desktop layout was not affected.

The bluetooth issue where it turns off but doesn’t turn back on again still happens though. All in all installing the update was a bit of a non event.

I updated manually from 1.8 and everything seems to work fine. I was, however, surprised that the launcher was downgraded to the old one from 1.6. Not that I was totally happy with the new launcher, but I appreciated some of its improvements. So what’s the situation here?

Cheers,
Christoph

The new Launcher is available as a separate app to download because upgrading from the first version to the new version ended by users being confused because they missed icons, widget and didn’t like the different icon sizes.
So after long discussions on the beta testing section Fairphone decided to switch back to the v1 launcher leaving the v2 available for download.
In this way users who upgrade from 1.6 to 1.8.5 should have minor problems with their desktop setup :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got the same problem. I updated from 1.8 to 1.8.5 and now the Google update doesn’t work. I did re-partition the phone to a 7GB/7GB-layout way back and would like to keep it that way. Any idea how i get Google to run.

During the Google installation process, I’m not asked to grant super user rights, by the way. I don’t know, if that isn’t necessary anymore, or if this might point to my problem?

The update then seems to run smoothly with the green robot and all. But once the FP is restarted, the Google stuff is still missing.