Is there an offline version of the bootloader unlock code generator?

This started out as a bug I was stuck on, but while typing it out it “fixed itself”. “Help” still seems like the most appropriate category.

The FP3 bootloader unlock form (Bootloader Unlocking Code for Fairphone 3 - Fairphone) was being quite buggy for me. I got some errors:

Access to XMLHttpRequest at 'https://factory.fairphone.com/api/unlock-codes/<My IMEI>/<My Serial>' from origin 'https://www.fairphone.com' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.
Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FAILED

The api url had my actual serial and imei, which is all that’s required for generating the unlock code (as far as I can see). So i tried visiting that url, to see if it was a simple get request that would show the code in my browser, but it timed out instead.

Does the API do anything sophisticated? Is it possible to run the same program without the API?

Yes, unfortunately, one of our services is currently experiencing problems. This affects the unlock procedure. Requests come through every now and then (this seemed to have resolved your immediate problem) but most requests for unlock codes are failing.

We are working on a solution. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for your patience.

Edit: To answer your explicit question: There is no offline version for this version of the unlock code. The Settings app needs to contact our backend service to verify the code.

9 Likes

It actually is possible to unlock the bootloader offline. See:

2 Likes

Is it always the same code ? Because if it’s the same, i will keep it in my keepass for future needs.

We were able to stabilize the service. All requests should be served successfully again. We will keep monitoring the situation to immediately catch any regressions.

Thanks again for your patience.

5 Likes

Actually not anymore. It was so in the past, but nowadays the settings app really verifies the code via a web request.

That might be true if you mean the offline community unlock code generator of the past, but that isn’t what the topic @paulakreuzer linked to is about :wink: .
Or did you confirm that this other way doesn’t work anymore now, too?

2 Likes

Ah thanks no, I was indeed referring to using/generating the unlock codes, sorry, did not read the thread there. That seems hacky, but may work… if one wants to risk that. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.