Is there a waterproof case for the FP4?

What is the difference in everyday battery life between a Fairphone with 6 GB RAM compared to a Fairphone with 8 GB RAM?
I understand that the one with 8 GB RAM always has 256 GB storage.

Is there a waterproof case for the Fairphone 4?
I cannot seem to find one.
Never mind, while searching I found this comment on this Fairphone forum:

So, when using a Fairphone I’m at higher risking having to repair my phone? That sounds not right. I have never had to repair my phones, because of the cases Lifeproof supplies / sells.

Edit2:
No this case

doesn’t meet my demands for a smartphone case.
I want a case that really protects my phone and since the fairphone isn’t waterproof itself it should be waterproof.
Or at least be a hard case that’s proven dropproof.

Smartphones are way too expensive to repair for me for not using a dropproof case.

There’s no ‘designer’ case for any of the Fairphones, the best you could hope for is a generic waterproof housing, for the beach etc. or heavy rain when attched to a bike’s handle bars.

The soft case however is effective in protecting against drops, it is flexible and takes more impact than a solid case.

By the way this about users ideas on what they want out of the FP5 there are topics that deal with cases and the FP4, so I have asked your query to be moved.

Until then search for such and I will also look and provide links

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=waterproof%20cases

If a soft case also gives protection against drops, then why are all those expensive cases hard cases?
Are there soft rugged cases?

I feel like I’m missing something.

Anyhow, there are people I know that are reluctant to buy a Fairphone, because it’s not waterproof so a case that helps with that would be very useful for selling the Fairphone.

1 Like

I haven’t seen many or any hard or expensive cases and the word ‘all’ may only include two or three. :slight_smile:

Which expensive and hard cases are you reffering to?

They all provide for different user tastes

A post was merged into an existing topic: FP4 Battery life

I like Lifeproof as a brand and the cases they provide have never failed my devices.

I have used their Fre cases in the past, those were waterproof.
As other have done, I also asked them if they were developing a Lifeproof case for the Fairhpone, their response was:

, so we shouldn’t expect them to make a case for a Fairphone case anytime soon.

I am also really sad about not having a reliable case. Used iPhone with lifeproof case for decades and never had any issues after falls, water exposition or disinfection. Fairphone after a bit more than a year has 2 small breaks in the display corners and USB-C connection issues. Despite use of softcase and display protection.

As the USB issue is still under warranty, it would have been cheaper for the fairphone makers to subsidize a proper case.

Maybe the company can initiate a cooperation with a producer of waterproof cases?

1 Like

I would not buy a Fairphone 4 because it in my view the IP54 rating is not adequate and no waterproof case is available. For less money I can buy a phone the performs better and has an IP68 rating and buy a case to protect against accidental drops. I had a phone that was ruined because I used it in the rain. I venture into semi-wilderness areas and want a phone that I can use for emergency purposes.

Hi Doug and welcome to the forum.

Whereas that is true the Fairphone wasn’t designed with those goals, it was to improve the pay and conditions of miners and factory workers, whilst also providing the end user with some degree of modularity so they can swap modules as a repair option.

1 Like

Hello. I am new here and in fact more waiting for the FP5 than considering FP4 but I am really interested in securing the proper case for it. And when I say proper, I mean waterproof, shockproof, 360 protection. Seeing it less likely for fairphone to produce such, I would like to ask whether you have any experience with using the ones destined for other phones, like samsung or iphone?

The link describes the kind of product I have in mind, MX-UN1_SS | Universal Waterproof Phone Case for Samsung – ARMOR-X

Thank you for any input

Compared to other brands like Samsung, Fairphone is still a niche product. I don’t think, that such a case will ever be designed and sold for any Fairphone model if not the company itself builds it.

The point of getting a Fairphone 4 is not about having a waterproof device with high performance but something which is sustainable and produced under fair conditions.

Phones with IP68 rating are usually not produced fair and they also often can not be repaired easily. At least you need to heat them up to loosen the glue which seals the device and use tools like a spudger, suction handle and so on - and if you are lucky, you don’t break the back while trying to remove it.

2 Likes

Thank you, this is what I thought. My question was - is it possible to use a case designated for a different phone? I know fp4 was a bit thicker than the other phones with similar screen display.

Has anyone got some experience?

I bought a generic waterproof casing that’s working for me under rain. It comes as a simple transparent casing that closes with a pincer and 2 blockers on the top, with just the height of a FP4. Touch screen works, photo could work as long as the special part front of the phone’s sensors stays unscratched. Come with an armlet and a necklace.
I can bike with the phone fixed eg to my arm via the armband no problem, but with the necklace it’s a bit heavy. Paid 10 EUR on an online phone accessories shop.

Thanks so much for sharing. I have a bike waterproof bag attached to my handle bars for my previous phone. However, when the phone blocks I find it hard to unblock it in the bag, as all is wet and it is not that easy to write a pattern.

I know fp4 and fp5 are side mounted fingerprint scanners - is there any way to use them while in casing? Any kind of stickers would do? forgive me these newbie questions

You’re welcome @Meaghan And right about the unlocking process: I unlock my FP by pressing the fingerprint button on the right side. Doing it with the generic waterproof casing needs more pressure than without. Rain doesn’t help even tho the plastic of mine allows some grip, but I tend to just forget about (ie protect) my electronic stuff when it rains. Will find and stop under an area covered from the rain if really mandatory.

1 Like

There no way that future FairPhone are waterproof?

Well, the Fairphone 5 is IP55 rated. So there is some degree of water and dust resistance, and you should be fine if its raining or if you drop it in a wet environment, but I wouldn’t deliberately take it swimming or diving. Of course a phone that can be easily opened up will always have a harder time ensuring that everyshing is selaed shut in a waterproof way, but it’s not impossible.

For more information what IP55 means, see the wikipedia article on IP (ingress protection code) ratings for water- and dust resistance:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.