Is Fairphone 3 rootable?

My question is very simple, I just did not find this information on the website. I have a FP2 and I really like how it can be easily rooted even without strong IT competences. Is it the same for FP3?

3 Likes

Currently it is unknown how easy it is going to be so you will have to wait for the time being. The bootloader can be easily unlocked, that is for sure.

3 Likes

For reference … how to unlock the bootloader was mentioned here …

… now we just need to get our hands on the phone :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

I am trying to unlock the phone, and indeed, you first have to go to Developer’s options to enable OEM unlocking.

After booting on it (power + volume down), you can use fastboot to really unlock the bootloader, but this will completely wipe all data.

Edit: see here if you want to do it

3 Likes

It is easy to get an adb / fastboot connection. First I forgot to change one of the two settings you have to make on the phone (then “adb devices” does not show anything), but then it worked.

However, it just went to a white screen. Turned it off and on again, tried again -> white, flickering screen. At least no damage / loss of data (but I still had my backup / data on the old phone anyway).

You can see the standard bootloader with Power + Volume down while restarting, but it also does not show a line “DEVICE STATE - LOCKED”.

If rooting was possible, I would try it with Magisk and hope that the “hide root from certain apps” function works.

1 Like

Hey, I’m having exactly this problem of adb devices not showing anything. What are the two settings you are talking about?

Welcome to the community forum.

• If not done already, make the Developer options visible by tapping on the Build number in Settings - About phone a few times until you are being declared a developer.

• If not done already, enable Settings - System - Advanced - Developer options - Android debugging or USB debugging (depending on Android flavour and version, I’m not running the stock OS currently).

2 Likes

Ah, thanks, I hadn’t done that. Now it gets recognized by adb devices.

Btw, that important step is not mentioned in the guide Manage the bootloader of your FP3/FP3+, it should be added there.

3 Likes

as other comments explain: bootloader is easy unlockable. And as rooting is not legal (in teory), I think FP hasn’t any interest to provide a guide for, but you can surf the net for more information about rooting a FP3.

:slight_smile:

Well, they do provide a guide for unlocking the bootloader, which just happens to forget to mention USB debugging…

… and just gives you an alternative way to enter Fastboot Mode, so you wouldn’t even need ADB and USB debugging (point 3.4.2).

3 Likes

Yes, for sure! But rooting is a deeper step.

:slight_smile:

Yeah, in theory that’s true. But in practice I wanted to make sure everything works before going into fastboot. And I learned something along the way.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.