iodéOS is completely Open Source!

was no critism, just to clarify more deeply :wink:

1 Like

iodéOS 3.3 stable is out now and can be downloaded!

FP3(+) und FP4

5 Likes

It seems that since the update, my banking app is NOT able to detect that I use a custom ROM. Finally, I don’t have to use my old smartphone anymore.
Some weeks ago, I was that close to replace iodéOS with LOS and just waited for the official version to be released. Didn’t want to have something as crucial as the software controlling all traffic being closed-source.
Now I can’t say anything but “I love this ROM!”.

4 Likes

I’m not entirely convinced about this OS: Iodé Review: Privacy Has a Price - Invidious

Could you please list the criticisms that bother you and/or are mentioned in the video? I (and maybe others > international forum) can unfortunately hardly understand spoken English. In addition, hardly anyone will watch almost 1.5 hours of video to be able to participate in this discussion. :wink:

From the comments you can see at least one point of criticism. Not everything is open source. The video is already a bit older. At that time it was true. But as you have seen in this thread, this has changed now.

4 Likes

Not much of a discussion when people don’t do their due diligence to inform themselves about the topic their are discussing :wink:

The topic is: iodéOS is completely Open Source!
I don’t know what a lengthy video would change about the fact.

If you want to draw people in to something broader, it’s not the task of the people to be intrigued by the mere mention :wink: .

2 Likes

I agree: I’m not asking anyone to watch that video. I’m merely sharing it in the hopes it serves its purpose for those who are curious about it. It’s a great review and I wish more content creators would be half as methodical as the video I shared.

What I disagree with is that the topic is just the news about iode becoming open source. Conversations tend to evolve and touch multiple topics or change subjects. Case in point: hardly any post in this very thread talk about the actual news of it being open source at all.

1 Like

Well, that is a matter of opinion. I already lost interest when the reviewer after about 1 minute told that the installed map app didn’t seem to be good enough and he at once installed google maps… What’s the greater sense in using iodéOS when you switch back to Google apps (without trying out any alternatives) on the first hurdle…?

4 Likes

That instantly sounds much more promising than “due diligence” :wink: .

1 Like

Personally I feel that the Google Maps app is the one app that doesn’t have an amazing alternative. The alternatives are all VERY dependent on where you live. And where I live the alternatives are all terrible. Which is unfortunate.

You may disagree with the conclusions, but there is some objective criteria that I’m sure we can agree on to decide how good this review is. To review is “to examine or study critically”. This man did exactly that, talking at length about the core aspects of any smartphone such as the camera and navigation apps. Things were put to the test, several topics discussed, issues demonstrated on camera to backup points of view, etc.

What’s the greater sense in using iodéOS when you switch back to Google apps (without trying out any alternatives) on the first hurdle…?

The author is not using iodeOS with any greater sense other than testing the product it was given to review. Magic Earth was tested, and didn’t live up to the expectations, simple as that. It’s not unreasonable to reach out for a known working app when the default solution provided did not cut it. Especially when you need to get stuff done, and even more so when we’re talking about navigation apps as @AvidAlbatross said, which I fully agree with.

For me this doesn’t give sense as a test should in my eyes always keep in mind what the product was designed for.

Well, it may depend on the region, as @AvidAlbatross mentioned. But for me other apps have always been better for cycling and hiking. Google maps is imo just perfect for realtime car traffic, but if you don’t go by car…

Anyway, it’s going quite off-topic… :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I agree with that. This is about iodéOS and therefore a custom ROM, which was created with the primary goal of maintaining the greatest possible privacy.

Who wants to have the greatest possible privacy, must decide for themselves whether they want to go this very uncomfortable and elaborate way and can live with some restrictions. This is truly not always an easy path. Especially depending on how hard you take this path. The disadvantages due to good privacy usually have nothing to do with the chosen custom ROM per se, but occur equally with all custom ROM’s. Those who opt for privacy will certainly choose iodéOS, CalyxOS, /e/, DivestOS or LineageOS. Depending on own priorities. If you can’t live with restrictions, a privacy-friendly custom ROM doesn’t make sense and you are probably best suited with the stock ROM.

All apps are only suggestions and can be uninstalled with just one tap. Only the apps microG and iodé-blocker are important to mention. The fact that iodéOS comes with microG has the advantage that you can decide for yourself whether you need a “Google Play fake” (IP address goes to Google!) or uninstall it. Thus, both interests are helped. Those who need it because they can’t do without every Google app and those who would rather not even have microG on the device. And the iodé-blocker is the heart of iodéOS. It is both a firewall and an adblocker. To test or evaluate iodéOS for itself, there is no sense in looking at any exchangeable apps that have not been developed by iodé. The operating system itself, which you as a user can’t or can’t easily change, is the important and interesting thing. One example: Does iodéOS still use supl.google.com for A-GPS? No, but supl.vodafone.com.

Thoughts on what disadvantages privacy generally brings are indeed better placed in a NEW topic and are surely interesting to discuss as well. Like, for example, that there is unfortunately no privacy-friendly solution for navigating with good live traffic. In THIS topic it is more suitable to talk about the core aspects of iodéOS, how iodéOS has implemented privacy or what other features it has specially.

4 Likes

Does iodéOS still use supl.google.com for A-GPS? No, but supl.vodafone.com.

$ host supl.vodafone.com
supl.vodafone.com is an alias for supl.google.com.

It must also be noted that SUPL is overridden by the carrier and when placing an emergency call.

2 Likes

The recommendation in the Kuketz blog under point 2.4 on this topic is to completely disable A-GPS with SUPL_HOST=localhost. As info it says there:

supl.vodafone.com: Location Germany, selfhosting.

That didn’t sound to me like Google had anything to do with it. Do you think Vodafone exchanges information with Google? Would it be possible to create a possibility in the Android settings that you as a user can define SUPL_HOST yourself? I myself would then want to enter localhost. I would prefer that than Vodafone. How do Graphene, Calyx, Divest and /e/ solve this problem?

https://www.simplemobiletools.com/blog/how-de-googled-is-simpleos

SimpleOS writes about it:

Not only does the latest version of SUPL go beyond the initial purposes of A-GPS (geofencing, billing applications), the above data is being logged by Google without permission, potentially before you even put a SIM card in your phone. For that reason, we wanted to avoid using Google servers for SUPL data when using GPS. To solve this, we replaced GPS SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com with supl.vodafone.com (Vodafone) in the following files:

device/common/gps/gps.conf_US_SUPL
device/common/gps/gps.conf_AS_SUPL
device/common/gps/gps.conf_EU_SUPL
hardware/qcom/gps/msm8084/etc/gps.conf
hardware/qcom/gps/msm8960/etc/gps.conf
hardware/qcom/sdm845/gps/msm8084/etc/gps.conf

Is this just window dressing and Google still gets just as much data as if supl.google.com was still set?

What do you mean by that? Is it about “Advanced Mobile Location” (AML), which is implemented by Android with Emergency Location Service (ELS)? This would not work anyway, since Google Play Services are mandatory for this.

???

http://142.251.163.192 not https :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the DNS overview. This is sad and disappointing! You just can’t escape Google! :sob:
Unless you disable A-GPS completely (SUPL_HOST=localhost)???

1 Like

The discussion about A-GPS and supl.vodafone.com now continues in a new topic, since this obviously is more of a general problem for all privacy-friendly custom ROMs:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.