Investing in long-lasting design: Android 7 for the Fairphone 2

Yesterday, still on Android/Googles Fairphone OS 2018.04.x (or whatever that latest Android6 based was called and numbered) showed google app store update for Fairphone Updater app. Updated that one. Immediately after the new Fairphone Updater app came in, it showed that Fairphone OS 2018.09.2 were available. Triggered the updated. Downloaded via WiFi, took quite a while to install it. Eventually rebooted back nicely into 2018.09.2, became quite hot whilst updating upgrading ;).

Now sits nicely on 2018.09.2, dont see much differences to previous Android6 based functionality. Wondering if cpu/power consumption became optimised. The screen timeout after 30seconds is still there, no matter what I set as a delay for screensaving locking screen. This is madness :(((((

1 Like

I just did attach a simple USB-OTG adapter to the Fairphone2 running Fairphone OS 2018.09.2 and some simple cord usb mouse, logitech or something. Mouse cursor appears on the middle of the display screen and works as intended and compared to other Android 5 and 6 and 7 devices with USB-OTG mice attached. See no difference. Can confirm that this Fairphone OS 2018.09.2 release of Android 7.1.2 stack works nicely with USB-OTG mouse.

7 Likes

Disabling a SIM was the workaround to an issue introduced in a previous update:

Dual SIM after Marshmallow update

Does this update restore the ability to force an affected SIM into 2G mode, in order to get 3G/4G on the other? If not, then I guess that means I now have to shut down and physically remove the offending SIM (like people with single-SIM phones do).

I don’t know. I neither run Dual-SIM nor one of Fairphone’s OSes currently.

Thanks for the tipp.
Upgrade went smooth.
Didn’t check all functions yet.
Just tested calling with my headset. Microphone did not stop Working as prior to the upgrade. GREAT!

1 Like

Thank you so much for testing, abittner! :+1:

And thank you to the FP development team for integrating this feature.

1 Like

Tried using an Apple Magic Trackpad 2. Works on Android 8.1 (pointer appears, can be moved, etc). Tested OTG and Bluetooth.

1 Like

Updated to Fairphone Open 18.10.0, smooth as usual.
I have the new FP2 with new version of camera module but mine isn’t affected by the bug of shutdown.

1 Like

Thanks for Android 7 !
Now Fairphone has sort of overfullfilled the promise given for Android 6. I’m amazed.
I’m also amazed, how much longer a battery charge lasts.
(Downside: Got hit by the “new Camera and no shutdown”-bug (#7), but the trick with the torchlight works.)
Martin

1 Like

Uhm, is the update still limited to some phones? My updater tells we are on 18.04.1 and it thinks that this is the latest version. The Play Store doesn’t report any update of the FP updater. With the missing HD video hardware acceleration I’m not yet very keen on updating anyway but I’d like to know if it’s my phone or the update policy that prevents me from getting Android 7. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Martin

1 Like

Nobody says otherwise. For now.

2 Likes

Don’t know if I should like that. It’s about two weeks since the press release and if Fairphone wants to continue with monthly updates as they did before Android 7 it’s only about two weeks until the next version. Okay, in that way it’s of course possible to balance the server load…

Have you tried this? …

Else … Experiences with automatic upgrading seem to be mixed until now anyway, from a flawless upgrade to the need to install from scratch manually. Conceptually, installing a new Android version from scratch should be the more clean approach.

So, if you don’t mind setting up the phone again (which with some bad luck you could be in for anyway) …

• Backup or sync all your important data, contacts, pictures, etc. to somewhere safe.
  • Do a manual installation of Fairphone Open OS 18.10.0
  • If you want to use Fairphone OS instead, install the manual switcher to Fairphone OS 18.09.2 afterwards … theoretically, I don’t know if anybody has done this so far.
    Edit: This works.
  • Restore or sync back your data and set up all your Apps again.

But it’s easy for me to talk, running LineageOS and all, I can’t test all this myself currently.

2 Likes

Convinced. Did the OTA update after tapping several times in the updater, backuped my data before of course but the update went without any issues. So far no obvious issues - good work!

4 Likes

I spoke too early… in the last 2/3 days I cannot shutdown correctly my Fp2, the workaround with the torch on doesn’t work too.
My system have xposed (gravitybox and xprivacylua) which they could probably generate instability…

Smooth update to 18.09.2
Shutdown in partylight mode - but that’s mo fun than a problem.

Former switch on SIM cards is missing => not able to switch second sim on/off like I could before. Just switching data mode off as workaround. Would prefer to be able to completely turn second sim on/off…

2 Likes

6 Likes

dank je well…
(it’s weird but not a ff issue…)

1 Like

What exactly does that mean? I use the stock OS, but disabled the app store and google services. Am I considered a Google user or not?

2 Likes

In this context, you are not. The update requires a newer version of the updater app, which is provided via Google’s play store.

4 Likes