Investing in long-lasting design: Android 7 for the Fairphone 2

Yippie! I rebooted, then Updater told me a new FP Open OS is available, downloaded, restarted and bingo everything seems good so far.
I noticed that I now seem to have Firefox Klar installed. What’s that for? Does it replace the old default ‘Browser’?

6 Likes

Hello all,
Thank you for this new release.
Yet another smooth update. Well done.

5 Likes

Fairphone Open, smooth update, just for some layouts I have to get used to.
Thanks to the Fairphone team and the testers for your efforts.

Edit: I forgot to mention that during the installation there were 2 lines saying

E: Unknown Command

3 Likes

I’m so glad I can finally come out with these :smile:

12 Likes

Hi there!

Update went smoothly on FP Open OS for me too :smiley: .
Everything seem to work fine. Good job!

3 Likes

To flashlight, or not to flashlight … that is the question :mage:

Everyone who reports a successful install, please let us know if you are able to shut down the device successfully without turning the flashlight/torch on right before shutting down.

Update 17 Nov 2018: Thanks for all your responses, I think it is clear by now that the shutdown bug persists with all FP2s running Android 7 (or the latest LineageOS) with the 12MP camera module. By now, please only report if the shutdown problem does not happen to you although the aforementioned conditions are given.

3 Likes

Kind of “Chinese Democracy” moment for all… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

nope… the phone just reboot… but shutdown with flashlight on…

5 Likes

Sorry to hear, but thanks for the quick clarification :+1:

2 Likes

On FP Open (old camera module) it was shutting down.

3 Likes

Firefox Klar is a privacy oriented browser by Mozilla. More important, it also brings its own browser engine. Google has started to update the browser via Google play a few years ago. That also means the old browser in Android 7.1.2 is outdated (roughly 2years old). Therefore Klar (or Focus) improves your browsing experience and security.

6 Likes

You’re wellcome. As long as I don’t need to do stranger things there’s no need to be sorry :wink:

1 Like

FPOOS: I cannot start in TWRP to install open gapps again. play services therefore constantly crashing…

The update for Open OS isn’t even supposed to be out yet. Where did you get it?

nice. I saw the announcement, checked the updater. it said new OS available, now updated:

2 Likes

What doesn’t work? Starting TWRP or starting to install Open GApps?

To boot into TWRP, keep Volume Up pressed while starting or rebooting the phone until you see TWRP.

The updater offered it after rebooting my phone sometime today.

Oh oh … Fairphone support staff and the community forum better brace for torches and pitchforks :fire::man_farmer::woman_farmer::man_farmer::woman_farmer::fire: :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, I am in TWRP again now. Has that changed or am I oblivious?

However, the opengapps pack appears not to work right now. ZIP signature failed. Anything I need to do differently than before?

You need to disable signature verification. :wink:

1 Like