Intimidated by weight - experiences/thoughts?

Together with the protective case, the FP3 weights 217g. Can’t compare with the bumper because it is at home, I found it quite ugly and useless. As I bought my FP3 second hand, it might have suffered a little already.

I did consider that, it’s just not something I felt was a good solution. I don’t normally wear a bag like that, I wear a small backpack, and adding a shoulder bag to that just seems like such an annoying restriction just to having my phone with me within reach. I also enjoy being able to move about without a bag, like when I go for a walk to a nearby cherry tree to climb for berries, don’t want to wear any straps about my neck for that, then I want to have the phone in a pants pocket.

Thankfully, Fairphone has agreed to refund the phone, since I never started it or anything, they’ve been so kind!

I used a FP3 with just the bumper, no protective case, and would have used a protective case for the FP4, that might be why the weight seemed so drastically different for me. FP3 was at the heavy end for me, but bearable, and FP4 just seems to have crossed over a line, sadly.
I’ve been given my father’s old phone for now, but when I need to get another phone, I might look into seeing if someone is selling a used FP3, that’s a good idea!

Haha, thanks for the perspective! Thanksfully for me Fairphone has helped me with a refund, so for now I’ll keep following the company, and hoping they’ll eventually release a smaller model.

Oh, I do miss the weight and dimensions of my old FP2, those were the days! Someone else mentioned finding older FPs secondhand, and I’ll definitely keep that in mind!
For now, Fairphone has helped me with a refund, and I’ve adopted my father’s old phone, but if I need to replace that anytime soon, I should look into a secondhand FP2 or FP3.

I’ll definitely follow the company, and hope that either the next phone is smaller, or they eventually get big enough as a company to create a “mini” version of a FP4 or FP5.
If not, it’s second-hand phones for me, but I’ll still look to Fairphone for headphones etc., because I do want to keep supporting them.

I realy disliked the FP2 first, when I got it, because I loved the smaller sized FP1. So the habits are changing over the time :wink: .

Did you see the market place here already:

1 Like

A late contribution to the discussion:

The difference between a FP3 and FP4 is small in terms of grams, but the feeling is indeed sometimes intimidating. As far as I understand the weight increase mainly (if not completely) comes from the battery of FP4. If you take out the battery, the phone becomes a very light-weight and -maybe even more important- a very balanced device. The battery makes it also a little bit unbalanced and thus not so easy to hold it smoothly.

If the company (or the supplier of the battery) can develop a light-weight update, then the problem can be solved once and for all. In all other cases, we need to find our own way through the options which are very concisely proposed above.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.