🇬🇧 Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

Well it’s a good job Fairphone have the edge on Fair trade as there are other modular phones.

I emailed that address and I didn’t get a reply.

5 Likes

Fairphone made it to Linus Tech Tips:

11 Likes

They even give credits to the forum:

grafik

8 Likes

Android 12 got released, and AOSP based on it.

It cripples the adb backup command!

LineageOS seedvault should (?) still work but its not the default OS for Fairphone’s devices.

4 Likes

adb backup is sporting a “deprecated” label for a while already and it isn’t exactly a pillar of reliability. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes
5 Likes

Looks like the king of RTR in the United States has finally sunk his teeth into Fairphone. I believe this is one step closer in getting this amazing phone to the United States.

5 Likes

RTR? What does that mean?

Right to repair, I think

7 Likes

Sorry! We Americans love our abbreviations! Lol… RTR = right to repair

6 Likes
2 Likes

Android Mobile OS Snooping By Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei and Realme Handsets (PDF)

Pretty much a Pro version of the current Pinephone just with more horsepower.

I like the DIP switches (being killswitches) on the back. They’re also busy with hardware keyboard for the device. And it runs a lot of OSes.

But it isn’t modular or fair electronics. Not sure if schematics are available.

4 Likes

@ElKrasso seems that you are famous now…

9 Likes

To help people filling this topic, I would like to mention my work on Meta-Press.es (a Firefox addons to search the press) which can fetch 343 results for “fairphone” in 28.3 s from 75 source(s) over 228 selected (from 55 countries and 23 languages).
Meta-Press.es also work from Android by the way.

2 Likes

Please post French links/videos in the French thread instead: 🇫🇷 Articles intéressants / liens vers Fairphone et des produits électroniques plus justes (I didn’t move your post as it contains videos in two languages.)

2 Likes

Study: Recycled Lithium Batteries as Good as Newly Mined Cathodes made with novel direct-recycling beat commercial materials.

I have downloaded the paper, and it even explains that their recycled cathode particles perform better than the original due to being more porous and less prone to fracture. The exact process however is not exactly described, instead the researchers cite some previous papers which are partially also written by them. I haven’t been able to look at those yet.

Note: the paper is about NMC111 cathodes (equal amounts of nickel, manganese and cobalt.) I suspect Fairphone’s batteries use some kind of NMC material but I’m not sure whether this is NMC111 or another mixture.

3 Likes