šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

They will still have to manufacture 1 charger per 1 phone to meet the potential demand, which means same carbon emissions. If people would really care about the planet there would be a law and that law would be called usb-c for the next 100 years, which as you can imagine is an impossibility as it will hamper our precious technological progressā€¦

In any case this particular case is such a trivial matter.

Well, the key-word would be potential.
They would estimate how many users order a charger and produce the respective amount. As time goes by, they can adjust their estimate to their experience.
In the end ā€˜ticking a boxā€™ is just a slightly different approach than the one practised by Fariphone.

1 Like

Yes, in time, the supply and demand will even out, but thereā€™s too many factors involved for this idea to be considered to be green in reality and not just on paper.
Do you believe this idea is not a show? What exactly weā€™re talking about here? Migrating plastic out of chargers into something else is what will happen.

7 min video of a durability test (e.g. scratching various parts of the phone, bending it, holding a lighter to the screen etc.) where the FP3 does pretty well Iā€™d say

And that guy has 6.6 million subscribers. I hope the shop can cope with all the new fans :laughing:

6 Likes

That guy must be ex cia

I found two old posts of people mentioning this brand while asking a question but as far as I could see they didnā€™t write about the aspects that makes those headphone somewhat familiar to the Fairphone

ā€œDesigned to lastā€

• Sustainable Design
  • Modularity
  • Recycled Materials

Edit: just found a modular, repairable laptop

Framework is a hardware startup, founded by former Oculus engineer Nirav Patel, that is looking to take the Fairphone model and bring it to laptops, even shipping with a screwdriver in the box.

9 Likes

Cool!
I just wonder, how durable the so called ā€œexpansion cardsā€ (i.e. exchangeable expansion ports to be plugged into an USB-C port on the mainboard) of the Framework laptop will be.
Since the bottom module of the FP2 was a kind of weak spot, this might spell trouble, if one is really switching those expansion cards regularly. Though the idea - of course - is striking.

Well itā€™s about time! But judging by specs the laptop will cost premium. My concern is the hinges, will they last a long time, and thunderbolt support which allows for external gpu. 11th gen Intel is decent but already eclipsed by Apple silicon (which I own).

And another Fairphone review on YouTube & an interview with the one and only Bas:

3 Likes

ā€œElectronic anorexiaā€ Iā€™m coining this phrase.

I think I see a problem here very clearly, we want to innovate the products faster than technology can advance, as well the infrastructure to utilize that new technology, for example a slim smartphone with a removable battery is possible if we wait a bit longer until the graphene batteries gain momentum, but we canā€™t because of how competitive the market is, so what is the solution? To glue in the battery, to ā€œhide the fatā€, and when batteries will become even more slimmer we still will be gluing them to achieve an even slimmer phone (which I assume will also require the use of titanium or magnesium due to fragility).

Article from Heise mentioning Fairphone. (Itā€™s in German, sorry!). For non-german-speakers: The topic is the EU and itā€™s (planned) supply chain law.

3 Likes

Interesting study on the influence of lithium-ion batteries on water scarcity.
I found this (really scientific) nature article linked in a German newspaper (Was Handy-Akkus mit Wasserknappheit zu tun haben):

Extended life cycle assessment reveals the spatially-explicit water scarcity footprint of a lithium-ion battery storage

There is also a PDF-Version for download

3 Likes

Article putting the spotlight on the role of SoC manufacturers in upgrading devices:

10 Likes

PocKit, modular Raspberry Pi (think: ā€˜Raspberry Pi Phonebloksā€™).

Website / YouTube demos / Reddit thread / HN thread

2 Likes

Is anyone using AirPods?

Unfortunately this service is just available in the US, but I like the idea behind. I guess it was never foreseen by Apple that one can use AirPods longer than 2 years.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know why fairphone isnā€™t mentioned in this article: Opinion | Your Smartphone Should Be Built to Last - The New York Times

2 Likes

Good question. Maybe because FP is not sold in US. Maybe because D. Beres is not aware of FP. You might try to update him via writing to letters@nytimes.comā€¦
EDIT: Iā€™ve moved your post here as I think that altough Fairphone is not mentioned the topic is still relatedā€¦

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a video of some guy on YouTube with 14 million followers who talks about right to repair and how companies like Apple, John Deere and Tesla are working against it.

6 Likes

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/181634/modulaire-framework-laptop-komt-voor-eind-dit-jaar-naar-europa.html

Framework modular laptop coming to Europe. Article in Dutch, links to sources in English

Yes that has been mentioned before :slight_smile: Iā€™m waiting for it to be available in Europe but the roll out is North America first :frowning:

4 Likes