Installing fastboot driver for FP3

Hi,
I’m trying to install the fastboot driver on Window 11.
Before I started I noticed that FP3 was listed under Portable Devices in the Device Manager.
I followed the instruction on the e-OS website for FP3. Meaning I installed the optional update. The only difference is that my optional update was called ‘Google Inc. - Other hardware - Kedacom KDB Composite interface’ and not ’ Google, Inc. - Other hardware - Android Bootloader Interface’.
I tried the e-OS easy installer to install e-OS but it hangs on ‘Looking for your device’. I guess this has something to do with the fastboot driver.
I went back to the Device Manager and saw no listing under ‘Portable Devices’. Yet a new listing is present: Kedacom USB Device > oem3.inf (android_winusb.inf).
I tried returning to the previous state in windows (FP3 under Portable Devices - see my first sentence) and deleted Kedacom USB Device. I now have wpdmtp.inf and wpdfs.inf under Portable Devices. Under optional updates, ‘Google Inc. - Other hardware - Kedacom KDB Composite interface’ is shown again.

PS: throughout this process the FP3 is connected to my windows laptop.

My first question: how to check if the fastboot driver is properly installed for FP3?
My second question: if the fastboot driver is not properly installed in my case. How do I get it installed?

Thanks.

The vendor name is not important. My Windows 10 Pro automatically installed “LeMobile Android device” drivers for my Fairphone 3 back in the day (and Windows 11 Pro kept them aboard) … works fine nonetheless.

Anything with an exclamation mark visible in Windows Device Manager?

If you followed https://doc.e.foundation/pages/install_easy_installer/win_fp3, this is indeed the way.

Technically not, if this message is presented right after the Easy Installer got you through enabling USB Debugging and possibly installing the driver … at this point the Easy Installer tries to connect to the phone via ADB (Android Debug Bridge, for which you needed to enable USB Debugging). On Windows, this is a different driver, not the fastboot/bootloader driver.

“Kedacom KDB Composite interface” might be the ADB driver, my LeMobile one is simply called “Android ADB Composite Interface”.

Once it seems the driver situation is in order, you could still try a different USB port.

1 Like

HI, thanks.

I am still confused.

1/ Per the Install fastboot drivers instructions ‘Google, Inc. - Other hardware - Android Bootloader Interface’ is the fastboot driver.
2/ In the start of your reply you said that the difference between “Android Bootloader Interface” and “Kedacom KDB Composite interface” is not important. I tend to conclude from this that both are fastboot drivers (as there is no real difference).
3/ But then you go on to say that Kedacom KDB Composite interface is the ADB driver not the fastboot driver. This seems to contradict 2.

I got everything to work.
When the phone is in normal mode the Device manager shows Portable Devices > FP3.
When the phone is in fastboot mode the Device manager no longer shows Portable Devices but now shows 'Kedacom USB Device > Android Bootloader Interface.

I think the procedure should be (at least that is how I got it to work) to install ‘Kedacom KDB Composite interface’ when the FP is in fastboot mode and connected to the PC.

As there is also an ADB driver apart from the fastboot driver maybe:
1/ “Portable Devices > FP3” in the Device manager with the phone in normal mode indicates that the fastboot driver is installed.
2/ “Kedacom USB Device > Android Bootloader Interface” n the Device manager with the phone in fastboot mode indicates that the ADB driver is installed.
Is this correct? If so, I will make a suggestion to e.foundation to change the documentation on this.

1 Like

Oh sorry, my fault leaving ambiguity.
Google or Kedacom or whatever vendor name is not important, ADB or bootloader is important.
Edited.

Bootloader is just a different name for fastboot mode, so Bootloader Interface is the fastboot driver handling the phone in fastboot mode (aka bootloader).

ADB Composite Interface or similar should be the ADB driver handling the ADB connection to the phone while Android is running.

(I actually see a third one installed on my computer which seems to handle ADB with the phone in recovery mode.)

1 Like

Thanks again.
If installing “Kedacom KDB Composite interface” has as a result that “Kedacom USB Device > Android Bootloader Interface” is added to the Device Manager. And (as you say) “Bootloader Interface is the fastboot driver”. I have to conclude “Kedacom KDB Composite interface” at least contains the fastboot driver.

Maybe the instruction on Install fastboot drivers didn’t want to cause confusion and the plural in the heading “Install fastboot drivers” includes ADB?
Or: ADB is not necessary to install e-OS.
In any case I start to think that for the installation instructions the distinction doesn’t matter.

As easy-installer no longer halted when I (re)installed ‘Kedacom KDB Composite interface’ while the phone was in fastboot mode, I assumed that was the problem. But maybe it was some other issue, that got fixed along the way.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.