Install the forum as an app on your phone/computer

Thanks for testing!
You mean you have this option in Vivaldi for the fairphone forum?

Btw: my version is also Vivaldi Browser 6.1.3035.258, on Android 13 (but on FP4).

@Volker

OK. It is a shortcut that opens the forum page. I think it is due to the translation into German (in Vivaldi). Formerly “APP” now “Add to home screen” which I think is the more correct name because before no independent APP was created, but also only a shortcut to the web page.

OK. Es ist ein Shortcut, der die Forumseite öffnet. Ich denke es liegt an der Übersetzung ins deutsche (bei Vivaldi). FrĂŒher “APP” jetzt “Zum Startbildschirm hinzufĂŒgen” was meiner Meinung die korrektere Bezeichnung ist da frĂŒher ja keine eigenstĂ€ndige APP kreirt wurde, sondern auch nur ein Shortcut auf die Webseite.

1 Like

Are you sure there’s no difference between the two apart from the naming? I don’t use Vivaldi on the phone, but in Firefox (or Fennec, which I use) there’s a difference between adding a website shortcut to the home screen and installing a website as an App, old topic here, but this hasn’t changed for me since 
 Firefox 82: Force page shortcut onto home screen instead of installing a PWA.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly, there is a difference.
“Zum Startbildschirm hinzufĂŒgen” is also there for me but it’s only a shortcut to open the page in the browser (,e.g. Vivaldi).
“App installieren” would install it as PWA independently. And it’s there for other pages e.g. when I open the Discourse or Murena forum etc.
And when I switch Vivaldi to English language it shows “Install app” on pages where it works and “Add to Home screen” where it doesn’t.

@Volker
Da ich diese Option nicht nutze habe ich die PWA erstellung nicht recht auf dem Schirm.
Das Vivaldi Forum hat sich darĂŒber jedoch schon unterhalten :

2 Likes

As it turns out: yes.

A few weeks ago I added this Mastodon verification link:

Strictly speaking an <a> tag is not allowed in the head section. As confirmed in various topics on meta.discourse.org this breaks the ability to save the site as PWA.

I’ve tested this on our sandbox instance and can confirm that adding the Mastodon link disables the PWA feature.

EDIT: it was suggested on meta.discourse.org to move the Mastodon verification link to the site’s footer. @paulakreuzer After making this change I would like to hear from you if the verification is still valid on your end. Let me know when that’s convenient for you.

4 Likes

Thanks for caring for this so quickly!
Sounds convincing what you write. Unfortunately my browser still doesn’t allow me to install the forum as an app (even if I understand that with the change it should work now).
Btw: I’m very sure the “feature” also disappeared from the company homepage (fairphone.com) during the last 8 days, too. About 1-2 weeks ago I still could add it as PWA but trying again today I no longer could.

Tested with Ecosia and while I can add Facebook as App I cant do so with the forum

1 Like

I haven’t changed it yet because I don’t want to break anything on the Mastodon side. I’ll make the change once @paulakreuzer is available. Or maybe @urs_lesse can assist?

You folks are all so impatient
 :wink:

www and shop are undergoing major restructuring so it could very well be that PWA functionality is broken.

4 Likes

I guess if it breaks anything, I’d only notice it just like everyone from the publicly visible first link in our profile at https://social.fairphone.community/@WeAreFairphone. Marking @Ingo here as well who took care of the links.

1 Like

I just wanted to test if its Vivaldi or general to help as to me it also read as if it was changed already

2 Likes

Indeed, that sentence can be interpreted in two ways. Apologies for the confusion.

3 Likes

UPDATE

I have now made the change. This means that the site can now be saved as PWA. :smiley:

I did notice that the Mastodon verification link is still somewhat visible in the HTML code but I’m not sure if that’s good enough for Mastodon. I’m sure one of you will let me know if verification is now broken. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I have actually followed this topic silently (until today), yet I did try if the “Install App” option was provided to me in the /e/OS default browser yesterday – it didn’t appear then. I have now tried again and it’s there! :+1:

Now when I launch the new app, the forum view I get is nearly identical to the browser app view (the latter just adds the address bar). So perhaps someone can briefly explain to me what the added value of the app is – is it that I’ll get (more) visible or audible notifications on my FP3 when someone replies to me here in the forum etc. 
 or is there something else I might have missed?

1 Like

Try moving it to the “header” section instead of “head”. My Mastodon is verified and I can still install it as a PWA.

1 Like

I can’t really say when/how often the Mastodon link verification is checked. Maybe wait a couple of days and check if it’s still there (it was a minute ago).

Initially I moved it from head to footer but that caused the URL to appear in an unexpected section of the HTML code and it was encoded in such a manner that Mastodon wouldn’t be able to read it.

Now I moved it from footer to header and all looks good. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some first experience: For testing’s sake, I kept the forum tab in my (desktop computer) browser closed for the last hour or so and kept the newly installed Fairphone Community Forum app (as well as Wi-Fi) running on my FP3. However, a recently reply to an ongoing private forum message that I am tracking did not translate into a notification in the notification bar of my FP3.

Maybe it helps to use a “link” element instead of an “a” element? For the verification it doesn’t make a difference.

<link rel="me" href="https://social.fairphone.community/@WeAreFairphone" />
5 Likes

Perfect! :+1:

I moved the verification URL from header to head and replaced a with link. Works as expected! :smiley:

6 Likes