Inconsistency in the calculation of battery consumption. 100%-17% consumption= 14 remaining?

Good day, I am attaching this screenshot showing an inconsistency in the calculation of battery consumption. 100%-17% consumption= 14 remaining. It should be 83 remaining, right? regards

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the community.

You can now also click on the three dots at the top right for more usage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But even with that, I hardly ever come to a 100% sum…

True it is never that accurate. I can count 20% out of 27% :slight_smile:

Measuring how much power is used by each app when there are multiple apps running.

Power is a function of amps used per hour times the voltage.

Every time an app is very active the voltage drops a bit and then recovers, so the voltage may be out by some percent. The each app would have to be monitored for the current draw and I doubt each app does that so the OS may try to estimate to current drae by seeing how long it takes for the battery voltage to drop a specific amount.

All a bit variable and estimated again and again etc.

I would doubt the end result is within 10%

1 Like

I’ve noticed something similar but I’ve always just assumed it’s the Android system eating the rest. That makes no sense in your case though.

Is that response to the OP ?

I’ll try that ! thanks

Oh and you may want to scroll the screen to see if there are any other App or OS uses hidden from the immediate view :slight_smile:

I use AccuBattery from the Play Store to monitor and give me info about my battery behaviour.
I admit I paid for the Pro version but it’s really helpful for keeping track of app consumption, charge/discharge rate.

It has a Health tab which you can use to monitor the general state of the battery over time.
The main feature I use it for is to give me an alarm when charging hits 80%. The app makes a big point about how charging from 20% to 80% only uses 0.2 of a charge, while charging from 80% to 100% uses 0.8 of a charge. A lithium battery has about 1000 charges (give or take) before significant degradation, but the degradation is also progressive. This app helps keep track of it.

5 Likes

By the way for those wanting to read some detail views see the following, not that there’s any evidence to support the ideas.

The problem with 40-80 rule is that there is nothing like 100% charge a 0% state. It’s all about voltage, resistance and current drawn from the battery. So the 40-80 rule could be valid if the manufacturers set the 0% and 100% limits to the physically extreme limits (like 2.7 V for liion). However, if the manufacturers are at least a bit clever, they’d set the 0% level to something less physically extreme like 3.0 V. This would slightly decrease the announced capacity, but greatly extend the lifetime of the battery even if charged 0-100 every time.

Or is there any writeup about how Android calibrates for batteries?

The power chips that charge are on the core module and are made by Qualcomm . Similar re: your other note Fairphone and others exploit the inbuilt battery low safety switch to stop the phone discharging but it will disconnect the phone to do so. And equally 100% is not 100% of the battery it’s 100% of what the charging algorithm ‘allows’.

So the 40/80 is just a more cautious way of not stressing the battery and in that sense can prolong it’s viability.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.