How to root the Fairphone 3?

You’re expected to download TWRP to your computer (not on the FP3 itself) and the path is the path on your computer where you downloaded it to.

2 Likes

That looks like a path on the phone, but fastboot boot ... needs to be executed from a computer with the phone connected via USB in fastboot mode.

Also, magisk_patched_M54Tq.img doesn’t look like it’s a TWRP image but you quoted a command to be used with TWRP.

Not being too familiar with rooting on the FP3, but I assume you first need to boot TWRP with fastboot and once TWRP is running on the phone you can install the Magisk ZIP.
But then, I don’t know what a Magisk IMG is for and how to deal with it.

3 Likes

[off-topic: that’s why I regard it as annoying that simultaneous typing feature is disabled…]

To answer my own questions, I put together all steps in a word document. Then I wondered “Why not share this?” and created a new wiki: How to root a Fairphone 3?
Feel free to add/change/react!

4 Likes

I just got an FP3+ and thinking I might want to root before I move all my stuff from my FP2, to make sure everything works as intended.

I don’t have a very specific need for root, but I expect that there’s useful functionality that I might need later on, and it will be too much of a hassle to root later, since I will have to backup and restore my data. One such example is enabling F-Droid to update apps automatically unsupervised, like the Play Store does. And so on.

I’m trying to figure out how to do it and I have some questions.

1. People in this thread recommend booting into TWRP and flashing the Magisk .zip. However, in Magisk’s installation instructions, the “Custom Recovery” option is not recommended, it says it’s deprecated. So my question is, what’s the difference between the method recommended by Magisk (patching the boot image) and the custom recovery method? Why do people recommend a different one than Magisk?
  2. Even though it’s been talked about in the thread, I’m still not entirely clear: will I be able to update LineageOS OTA if I root my phone? Is there anything I can do to ensure that?

Thanks!

Clicking on “Install” in Magisk Manager only gives me the option to patch an image file: *.img

The only one of those I have is the twrp one and I don’t have any option to download a zip file.

I think I did it by downloading the Magisk.apk to your SD card and just renaming it to Magisk.zip. I can’t remember 100% sure, so I hope someone can confirm this before you try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can confirm this should be the simplest way indeed. Once it is renamed to Magisk.zip, you can flash it in TWRP.

2 Likes

I took the files from magisk.me and installed the apk and sideloaded the zip-file. It was working good. Most of the time it also survives the updates.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Old thread but I just rooted DivestOS on an FP3 and I basically followed recommended Magisk patch boot image approach, except flashing the patched boot image, you will boot with it ones (like recommended to do for the FP4, an approach, which I and several other also used successfully, e.g. to root CalyxOS).

Steps:
Extract the boot.img from the DivestOS fastboot zip, which I used to install (divested-20.0-20231110-dos-FP3-fastboot.zip)

Transfer the boot.img as well the Magisk-v26.4.apk to the phone
(simply via USB cable and enabled File transfer)`

Install the Magisk App and start it.

Patch the boot.img via Magisk App (Click on “Install” then “Select and Patch a File”)

Transfer/copy the resulting magisk_patched-26400_lXE8u.img back to the PC (via USB again)

Enable USB debugging again (to do so, enable and go to the dev options - as always)

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot boot magisk_patched-26400_lXE8u.img
(imho this is a very safe way to root, as, if this boot with the patched image fails you can simply restart your phone and it will boot as before)

Open the Magisk app (press Cancel when asked to perform Additional Setup)-

Choose “Direct Install (recommended)” and reboot`

Now your DivestOS is rooted. :partying_face:

I think there is no need for TWRP (but of course if you like to use it feel free to stick to the TWRP image way of rooting :wink: )

2 Likes

Should that read back to PC?

I mean I copied the file back to the PC so I thought transfered → changed to transfer/copy. :slight_smile:

Not sure what you mean with

…read back…

Can we keep that topic open, I dont see why it should be closed.

Should that read “transfer back to PC” instead of “back to phone”, because you patch it with the phone and boot from it while its on the PC, so it has to go back from phone to PC after it was patched.
Well its seems thats what was meant

1 Like

You are right didn’t see that. :see_no_evil:

And also sure keep it open. I just thought it is quite old and I don’t wanted prelong it just because of this little add. :man_shrugging:

1 Like