How to root the Fairphone 3?

Old thread but I just rooted DivestOS on an FP3 and I basically followed recommended Magisk patch boot image approach, except flashing the patched boot image, you will boot with it ones (like recommended to do for the FP4, an approach, which I and several other also used successfully, e.g. to root CalyxOS).

Steps:
Extract the boot.img from the DivestOS fastboot zip, which I used to install (divested-20.0-20231110-dos-FP3-fastboot.zip)

Transfer the boot.img as well the Magisk-v26.4.apk to the phone
(simply via USB cable and enabled File transfer)`

Install the Magisk App and start it.

Patch the boot.img via Magisk App (Click on “Install” then “Select and Patch a File”)

Transfer/copy the resulting magisk_patched-26400_lXE8u.img back to the PC (via USB again)

Enable USB debugging again (to do so, enable and go to the dev options - as always)

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot boot magisk_patched-26400_lXE8u.img
(imho this is a very safe way to root, as, if this boot with the patched image fails you can simply restart your phone and it will boot as before)

Open the Magisk app (press Cancel when asked to perform Additional Setup)-

Choose “Direct Install (recommended)” and reboot`

Now your DivestOS is rooted. :partying_face:

I think there is no need for TWRP (but of course if you like to use it feel free to stick to the TWRP image way of rooting :wink: )

2 Likes

Should that read back to PC?

I mean I copied the file back to the PC so I thought transfered → changed to transfer/copy. :slight_smile:

Not sure what you mean with

…read back…

Can we keep that topic open, I dont see why it should be closed.

Should that read “transfer back to PC” instead of “back to phone”, because you patch it with the phone and boot from it while its on the PC, so it has to go back from phone to PC after it was patched.
Well its seems thats what was meant

1 Like

You are right didn’t see that. :see_no_evil:

And also sure keep it open. I just thought it is quite old and I don’t wanted prelong it just because of this little add. :man_shrugging:

1 Like