How to disable the 'Login to WiFi network' notification sound?

When I login to a new Wifi network that requires some sort of browser login, an annoying loud notification sounds. This notification pops up:

Android System
Sign in to network “SSID”

How can I disable the sound? It happens to me (and the people around me!) too often because I travel on public transport where the access point changes with each bus.
The point is, I do not know which app generates these notifications… (seems like the OS does).

The default tone for this was ‘Pixie Dust’, I have now changed it to ‘Zirconium’ which is a lot less intrusive (loud), but still, I’d like this disabled completely.

• Note that this is not the notification that a network is available (for which several FP1 posts exist). It’s only after connecting to the access point and getting an IP.
  • My default Browser is FireFox; all its notification settings are off
  • Advanced WiFi has no sound/notification settings
  • I later found out that this is also the notification sound for other events like ‘You have voice mail’.

I never realized loud wifi connection established sound, actually for me I believe no sound at all. So I assume you have a 3rd party app producing this sound?!?

2 Likes

3rd party app? Very unlikely. FP2 with FireFox and unrelated apps.

Network & Internet -> Wi-Fi -> WiFi preferences -> Open network notification -> (Off)

I suggest you disable WLAN whilst on the go, and only enable the radio’s you really need (such as LTE on the go). Public WLAN like these is tricky because it is very easy to MITM.

1 Like

Where do I find start point ‘Network and internet’ or ‘Wifi preferences’ on FP2? I’ve gone through a lot of settings but can’t find these. BTW Did you read in my original question that this is not the notification that a network is available?

Well, I don’t have this sound, so I proposed it must be some other app. If we can have a look together on your phone, we can see further, otherwise it’s just an idea.

2 Likes

Not sure where it is location your your OS version.

I did read that. Are you sure it isn’t a sound due to the public transport/bus landing page?

1 Like

No because I’m not there yet. “It’s only after connecting to the access point” and before starting the browser.

Right, I guess it is the notification that there is indeed a landing page?

1 Like

I just caught another one; it says:

Android System
Sign in to network “SSID”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.