How many spare parts have been ordered?

This is more a question to Fairphone staff but probably to interest of more people. And since some Fairphone staff are members of this forum, I think we might even get an answer :smile:

Fairphone thankfully offers spare parts in their shop. I wonder how many of these parts have been sold?

It would be interesting to see what most people break most often :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m not really sure that this is information that is ‘sharable’. Exact numbers are not likely to be put out in public. However, this also got me interested. My question would be if the repair shop is turning out to be what was expected of it.

2 Likes

I moved this topic from the Repair category to the Cafe category. It doesn’t deal with the reparation of the phone.

Maybe @anon90052001 can shed some light on this?

Yes, you are right. My intention was not to get a look into Fairphone’s books. I’m rather interested in the larger picture.

You mentioned already the repair shop. Maybe one could compare that to numbers of people who have tried to fix Fairphones themselves. Are there parts that never get ordered (maybe because it is too hard to repair by oneself)? In what cases might that be? etc.

2 Likes

I guess it’s not necessarily the sales that’s interesting to (to me at least), but more the general sense of whether people are taking up the opportunity to fix their phones with is part of FP’s appeal?

Of course a lack of current sale of spares could be a sign that the phones aren’t breaking yet!

1 Like

Trying to make an estimate on how many spare parts were ordered I looked at the Cost Breakdown.

About 10% (18.25€) of the actual product costs (185€) were “estimated warranty costs (including spare parts, labor and transport)” so if spare parts were the biggest part of that section it could mean there are maximum 6.000 (10% of 60.000) Fairphones worth of spare parts.
Of course it could be a lot less and a lot more (since some spare parts were bought and not delivered on warranty).
Also maybe it’s more accurate to take the warranty cost’s percentage of the total cost (5.6% of 325) instead of the product cost. Then the fictive number would be 3000.

I’d like to refer you to this post. I think 3000 comes close.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will ask there whether Joe has an answer yet.