How long do you plan on keeping your Fairphone?

I have yet to encounter a single app that has broken due to an Android upgrade. So I don’t see how it is obvious. Can you name me an example?

As for knowing what works and what doesn’t, I bought a phone with the promise of timely Android updates and the ability to run other OSes on the phone, something FairPhone failed to realize. So claiming I knew what I was buying is incorrect. Now, for me, the issue isn’t so large I’d get rid of the phone over it, but it was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

And oh yes, you used the words “young consumers” rather than “young people”. Point is, to me it looked like you were saying OS upgrades were just a consumerist fashion thing people wanted only to stay hip and cool. It’s that insinuation I have a bit of a problem with, because it reads like a negative judgment about me.

2 Likes

“One software feature I miss from my previous phone is folders on the home screens.”

recommend checking out the Apex Launcher,

1 Like

@jerry @Herve5 @ben
You’re gonna be stuck in this impasse forever.

Yes it is true, old tested software is in general far more dependable than newer bleeding-edge development.
It is also true though that old tested software should always be accompanied by security updates, because if new features in general can be (and not inherently are) problematic when untested, stable but vulnerable systems may be extremely susceptible to far worse risks than crashes and other “developmental” issues.

Also, even though it is true that there is a non-fringe chunk of any userbase concerned about software upgrades for purely stylistic reasons, it is not fair, nor elegant to make the next broad generalization: not all those who want the latest and greatest are hipsters seeking upgrade for a questionable and childish fashion sense.
Similarly, to imply that those who are not interested in the latest development are old farts who “can’t get” technological enhancement is a stretch, a big stretch.

Finally, let’s all focus on the fact that one thing (stable software with security updates) is not incompatible, but rather complementary, to the other (upgrades to bleeding edge developmental versions), therefore working to get the one, means working to get the other.

Can you guys agree with what I said and go from there?

Cheers

3 Likes

A sensible comment. The old fart comment wasn’t aimed at the fact Herve doesn’t want updates, it was about him generalizing pro-update people under, as you say, hipsters who find it fashionable.

Let me make one final thing clear here: I’m not contesting whether or not an Android update is required or not, nor do I think Herve is stupid because he doesn’t find updates necessary. My beef was only with him taking unfair aim at my opinions with generalizing statements like the one lined out before.

1 Like

Can I remind everyone that the topic here for discussion is how long people will be keeping their Fairphone and not whether you personally consider updating to be necessary.

Please can we keep to topic and remember that while everyone is entitled to their own opinion you should ensure you present this in a non-judgemental and respectful way. For further information on how we expect everyone in the community to act I would urge reading the Forum FAQ. Lastly anything that is off topic or problematic should be flagged for the moderators and avoid entering into open tit-for-tat exchanges.

Chris

1 Like

There is a topic perfectly suited for that discussion about Android Updates and it is conveniently named Are Android Updates really important …. Disclaimer: I have a personal opinion on that topic ;-).

I think is is perfectly fine to discuss that topic there, if there is still a need to do it (i feel tempted currently), but please keep a friendly and understanding tone. We all can disagree and it think it is ok to discuss as long as it is at right place and not disrespectful.

Back to the topic: I think it is great to hear everybody wants to use his/her phone as long as possible. And it is quite interesting to hear the reasons people suspect to interfere with that plans. I think: These worries are to be taken serious and not - this is the last thing i want to say on this fight here - to be disregarded as “fashion effect” important for “young consumers” that otherwise would be “pissed off”,

I think we should not judge these ideas and worries. Time will tell if the fair phones last as long as we hope for. In the meantime, i would like this topic to be open for everyone and i repeat, nobody here should be judged by his thoughts on this topic.

1 Like

Until next year. It’s not sustainable. No software updates, hardware out of date AND far too slow… Next time I’ll buy sth. better and something that’s more long-lasting, e.g. sth. by Sony or Motorola. The new Nexus is too big

1 Like

I want to keep it as long as possible, very long :smile:
or it falls into pieces :wink:

3 Likes

Hi! I just also wanted to pitch in because I became a Fairphone owner before I became a FP employee.

I actually also plan to keep using my FP1 as long as possible - I have the feeling I can somehow show character by keeping to use it as long as I can ^^

It will be hard to ignore shiny FP2’s once they start popping up around the office though :frowning: I might have to lug a paper version with me just to show people what the next phone will be like. But I think it will be cool to still be an active owner of the phone that started it and made this next model possible :smile:

6 Likes

I remember the paper version of FP1. This was a great gimmick and should definitely be available for FP2! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely my plan and hope was to keep for many years. So far I kept my phones until they died, which seems to be around the 2 year “contract” time :frowning: So everything about Fairphone suggests this should be better.
However… impressions so far are not good, too many disappointments, (will expand separately). Right now I’ll be surprised if I keep my FP1U for 6 months.

My last phone, (still working) was an SGS2 with CM10. FP1U is a step backwards in most areas except battery life, which is the main reason I’ve not gone back already. I am watching the CM on FP progress with great interest. If that comes together it might still turn things around for my time with Fairphone.

3 Likes

If you do want “long lasting” then take care with the choice, replaceable battery is key, we never get more than 2-3 years out of that before the battery is dead phone is ready for recycling. More manufactures including Moto switch to non-(user)-replaceable batteries, even if they do update. IMHO availability of 3rd party updates like CyanogenMod are also key if you want it updated.

1 Like

Hi

I am very proud to use my fairphone first edition! so I’m going to keep it till it’s dead! I guess that I will have to buy a new battery at a point (can we?) but otherwise even though it’s not perfect I’ll keep it… that was the point wasn’t it? not to change phones every year?

But I would like some other options like being able to install cyanogenmod and have support for it…

Yes, we can! :wink:

1 Like

My plan is to keep my FP as long as possible. As long as I can get a new battery (if needed) and also get the updates for it, I see no reason for buying a new phone. I have my FP (second batch) since September this year and I’m perfectly happy with it. (For those who think that’s not long enough to judge the phone: with my last Samsung I had nothing but trouble from the start.)

3 Likes

I’m with LittleWhorle. Thought it would be better, but so many bugs and issues (many posted elsewhere but there are plenty of little things that I haven’t yet posted about), and I don’t think its future in resale is very bright. I say this because when it was released it was already missing quite a few of the latest features (e.g., 4G/LTE, and the new wifi), so basically it started out as if it were already a couple years old. This was not a good decision by FP imo. If I’m going to buy a new phone it’s with the intention of using it until it dies, so the more of the latest features it has, the longer its useful life. This is the first new phone I have bought in ten years, and it was a big bummer.

My last two were used iPhones, and my next one will be too (waiting for a family member to hand her 4S down once she gets her new phone). My old iPhones (3G and 3GS) still work, but the battery and memory on the 3G are terrible (not even enough to load the SMS app), and it’s stuck on iOS 4, which means no app updates and no new apps could be installed for a few years now, so it’s basically a paperweight. The 3GS is stuck on iOS 6, which does allow some app updates, but fewer and fewer as the days go by. Soon it will be obsolete as well. It works, but it is incredibly slow, and I am afraid the FP will suffer the same fate.

Pros over Apple that FP must keep for future: replaceable battery, SD slot, dual sim, FM radio, ability to open it easily, rooted.
Things they need to pay attention to in order to extend the useful life: OS upgrade compatibility, memory/speed, and including the latest Bluetooth, cellular network, camera, and wifi technologies.

So for me, for now as far as usability goes, I prefer to be green by buying used iPhones and use them until they become unusable. So, anybody want to buy a used FP1? Seriously…

2 Likes

relatedly,

after recently (a couple of months ago perhaps) formatting and re-installing the OS on my Fairphone, it has felt like a new phone (the internet speed improved - possibly, and most likely from improved settings - which might have been wrong before); and of chance its a chance to clear-out accumulated clutter, reset settings (e.g. how many text messages to store per person), and re-install all the apps - which strangely gave me newer versions which hadn’t updated to such new versions previously…

… so all-in-all, recommend a clean-install if your FP is feeling at all old (!), :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d never trade a rooted-by-default Fairphone, on which even I average user can easily install a couple of F-droid simple apps that control everything in and out, with a locked iPhone.

At this moment this is my main concern with tablets: once used to Fairphone, any (unrooted) tablet feels catastrophically uncontrollable; this is the main reason I’ll probably buy a Jolla tablet, even though they are not Fair trade, even though I don’t really need to switch.

2 Likes

I held 10 years the glory old Sony Ericsson t65 (and still works, I suppose…).
I hope to keep FP at least the same period of time, if it will break I’ll fix it (until the repair it will be not so expensive…)

[quote=“consuela, post:45, topic:3060, full:true”]
I say this because when it was released it was already missing quite a few of the latest features (e.g., 4G/LTE, and the new wifi)[/quote]

I think that if you try to keep pace with technology every (max) 6 months you will need to change device.

4 Likes