How long do you plan on keeping your Fairphone?

As much as I agree with the previous two posts as concerns battery replacement (and the USB slot through which I have to charge it), I don’t specially agree on the software side.
While I definitely would demand a replaceable battery (and even two USB slots to recharge it, if this is possible, so that even with one broken I can continue), as concerns the OS my experience definitely is ’if it ain’t broke, just don’t upgrade’ -because obviously upgrading will break some apps.

I understand and appreciate there is a fashion effect with many younger consumers that would be pissed off if they can’t join their mates through the latest, brand-new social app which requires the latest OS. And by writing this I hope not harming anyone, I’m not spitting on ‘fart apps’ or things alike: I do understand the need for social apps even though really basic ones are enough for me.

But I’m definitely distinct.
I bought the FP knowing what would work on it and what wouldn’t.
Now it works.
I maintain it this way.
I absolutely don’t intend to restart everything just to have a newer OS -not at all.

What I don’t know is, how many are we from each side on this opinion.

This said, it’s equally obvious, to me, that the next version of the FP gets out with a more recent OS version.
But an obsession about upgrading forever is, how to say it, terribly not my thing.

2 Likes

I had like 3 phones in an almost 20 years lifespan, and one was a 450€ phone I regretted buying and which my mom put in the washing machine (forgot it in my pocket), bless her really. :stuck_out_tongue:

I intend to keep it as long as it works, hopefully really long, but I may buy a new iteration if I’m really a fan (and “recycle” the first one altough I’d love to keep it as a collection piece :stuck_out_tongue: ).

1 Like

You keep shrugging OS upgrades off as something that’s for them “young people” who want to be fashionable (it makes you sound really old, you know?) yet you make two errors in one sentence here:
1 - You assume that upgrading will break apps. In fact, you state it in a rather matter-of-fact way pointing out that it is “obvious”, for which there is not a single indication.
2 - You keep forgetting about the simple lack of functionality the current Android OS offers, like Bluetooth LE, which is just a requirement for an increasing number of gadgets.

Then there’s also the issue of security. It remains to be seen if FairPhone OS can remain secure while it’s stuck on Android 4.2.

You see, getting Android upgrades is not just a hip or cool thing. For some people it already is essential. For other people it will become essential in the future (once they find out they can’t use their Nike Fuelband they got for Christmas).

The problem I have with posts like yours is not the fact that you don’t seem all that interested in OS upgrades. That’s a choice everyone can make for themselves, no matter what the reasons are. It’s just that I dislike the tone of how OS upgrades are just a fad and something ignorant people want just because it’s “cool”. I feel negatively judged by that while I know very well that it’s not me being the ignorant one here.

3 Likes

Please stick to a respectful tone.

3 Likes

Keeping in mind @Stefan s important reminder, i would like to ask to keep this discussion on topic. We have several discussion about software updates, pro & contra, etc and I think every opinion on that was heard already. Also please do not spread doubt and personal expectations on fact, like below.

this is not generally true! on my android, os upgrades has - and i am not lying - never broken an app. this might happen thought, but is not necessarily the case!

1 Like

I will keep it as long as it works and will try to repair it before buying another phone.

3 Likes

I intend to keep my Fairphone, until the end of its natural lifespan. Over the years, I’ve changed from "early adopter"to “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix/replace it” For instance: I’ve had a Nokia 3310 for over ten years, until recently… Would still have had that, if the battery hadn’t broken down, so I borrowed my daughter’s battered Galaxy mini, to find the ins and outs of a “smart phone”. I already heard about the Fairphone project, and after being introduced to the world of Smart- Phones by the little Samsung, I decided to buy one. And I really, really like both the FairPhone itself, the concept and the philosophy behind it. As I said: I intend to use it for many years to come, just as long as I can keep it working and it stays “workable”… Ehhrm… did I mention, I’m a satisfied customer? :wink:

3 Likes

I said I hoped not harm anyone.
But you are criticizing my arguments as not substantiated, saying “obvious” is not sufficient.
I’m sorry, but yes, to me large OS upgrade do break old apps. And it’s obvious, and this obviousness is enough to me.

On the lack of functionalities, I said, textually, I bought the FP knowing what would work and what wouldn’t, I hardly see more to add here. I don’t understand how someone can be pissed off by not being capable to use “Nike Fuelband” on a phone they bought knowing it wouldn’t support it.

On security, I trust the root OS on FP is by far the safest I ever seen on a phone, and am perfectly satisified by the couple of open-source barriers I added. Just no further need here.

If by this there are “young people” (words I never used) that consider this turns me “really old”, well let it be.

2 Likes

as long as it works quickly enough, will keep it in use as long as possible… :smile:

(only last week enabled the internet to work at reasonable speed - might have input incorrect internet settings previously!!)

1 Like

I have yet to encounter a single app that has broken due to an Android upgrade. So I don’t see how it is obvious. Can you name me an example?

As for knowing what works and what doesn’t, I bought a phone with the promise of timely Android updates and the ability to run other OSes on the phone, something FairPhone failed to realize. So claiming I knew what I was buying is incorrect. Now, for me, the issue isn’t so large I’d get rid of the phone over it, but it was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

And oh yes, you used the words “young consumers” rather than “young people”. Point is, to me it looked like you were saying OS upgrades were just a consumerist fashion thing people wanted only to stay hip and cool. It’s that insinuation I have a bit of a problem with, because it reads like a negative judgment about me.

2 Likes

“One software feature I miss from my previous phone is folders on the home screens.”

recommend checking out the Apex Launcher,

1 Like

@jerry @Herve5 @ben
You’re gonna be stuck in this impasse forever.

Yes it is true, old tested software is in general far more dependable than newer bleeding-edge development.
It is also true though that old tested software should always be accompanied by security updates, because if new features in general can be (and not inherently are) problematic when untested, stable but vulnerable systems may be extremely susceptible to far worse risks than crashes and other “developmental” issues.

Also, even though it is true that there is a non-fringe chunk of any userbase concerned about software upgrades for purely stylistic reasons, it is not fair, nor elegant to make the next broad generalization: not all those who want the latest and greatest are hipsters seeking upgrade for a questionable and childish fashion sense.
Similarly, to imply that those who are not interested in the latest development are old farts who “can’t get” technological enhancement is a stretch, a big stretch.

Finally, let’s all focus on the fact that one thing (stable software with security updates) is not incompatible, but rather complementary, to the other (upgrades to bleeding edge developmental versions), therefore working to get the one, means working to get the other.

Can you guys agree with what I said and go from there?

Cheers

3 Likes

A sensible comment. The old fart comment wasn’t aimed at the fact Herve doesn’t want updates, it was about him generalizing pro-update people under, as you say, hipsters who find it fashionable.

Let me make one final thing clear here: I’m not contesting whether or not an Android update is required or not, nor do I think Herve is stupid because he doesn’t find updates necessary. My beef was only with him taking unfair aim at my opinions with generalizing statements like the one lined out before.

1 Like

Can I remind everyone that the topic here for discussion is how long people will be keeping their Fairphone and not whether you personally consider updating to be necessary.

Please can we keep to topic and remember that while everyone is entitled to their own opinion you should ensure you present this in a non-judgemental and respectful way. For further information on how we expect everyone in the community to act I would urge reading the Forum FAQ. Lastly anything that is off topic or problematic should be flagged for the moderators and avoid entering into open tit-for-tat exchanges.

Chris

1 Like

There is a topic perfectly suited for that discussion about Android Updates and it is conveniently named Are Android Updates really important …. Disclaimer: I have a personal opinion on that topic ;-).

I think is is perfectly fine to discuss that topic there, if there is still a need to do it (i feel tempted currently), but please keep a friendly and understanding tone. We all can disagree and it think it is ok to discuss as long as it is at right place and not disrespectful.

Back to the topic: I think it is great to hear everybody wants to use his/her phone as long as possible. And it is quite interesting to hear the reasons people suspect to interfere with that plans. I think: These worries are to be taken serious and not - this is the last thing i want to say on this fight here - to be disregarded as “fashion effect” important for “young consumers” that otherwise would be “pissed off”,

I think we should not judge these ideas and worries. Time will tell if the fair phones last as long as we hope for. In the meantime, i would like this topic to be open for everyone and i repeat, nobody here should be judged by his thoughts on this topic.

1 Like

Until next year. It’s not sustainable. No software updates, hardware out of date AND far too slow… Next time I’ll buy sth. better and something that’s more long-lasting, e.g. sth. by Sony or Motorola. The new Nexus is too big

1 Like

I want to keep it as long as possible, very long :smile:
or it falls into pieces :wink:

3 Likes

Hi! I just also wanted to pitch in because I became a Fairphone owner before I became a FP employee.

I actually also plan to keep using my FP1 as long as possible - I have the feeling I can somehow show character by keeping to use it as long as I can ^^

It will be hard to ignore shiny FP2’s once they start popping up around the office though :frowning: I might have to lug a paper version with me just to show people what the next phone will be like. But I think it will be cool to still be an active owner of the phone that started it and made this next model possible :smile:

6 Likes

I remember the paper version of FP1. This was a great gimmick and should definitely be available for FP2! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely my plan and hope was to keep for many years. So far I kept my phones until they died, which seems to be around the 2 year “contract” time :frowning: So everything about Fairphone suggests this should be better.
However… impressions so far are not good, too many disappointments, (will expand separately). Right now I’ll be surprised if I keep my FP1U for 6 months.

My last phone, (still working) was an SGS2 with CM10. FP1U is a step backwards in most areas except battery life, which is the main reason I’ve not gone back already. I am watching the CM on FP progress with great interest. If that comes together it might still turn things around for my time with Fairphone.

3 Likes