How can I upgrade to latest ubports RC

Maybe I’m not looking at the right place, but how do I upgrade to this latest RC? Can that be done OTA or do I need to run the installer over USB?

Sorry, but I am totally at a loss when it comes to technical questions like this one.
I am currently - so far in vain - to install UbuntuTouch an my new tablet.

Maybe you will find this ubports wiki helpful?
https://wiki.ubports.com/wiki/Release-Channels
This wiki posting has a section “Switching channels on your Ubuntu Touch device”.

Otherwise maybe @NeoTheThird or @oli.sax can help you.
Probably the other ubports thread you are active in is mort on topic?

Some intermediate result: when I switched to the “devel” channel there was an update available. That was to ensure the updater doesn’t have a general problem, but I didn’t install it.

2 Likes

Hi @Ingo ! Indeed the channel switch is a good way to test the updater :slight_smile:
On which rc version are you currently? The last one is rc_version 17 (date 15/12/2017) according to https://system-image.ubports.com/ubports-touch/15.04/rc/FP2/

For my part I’m on stable so I’m waiting for the 21 december and the announced OTA-3 :smiley:

Note: remember that UbuntuTouch needs the UBPorts recovery to successfully perform updates. As I flashed TWRP I’ll have to re-flash the recovery before updating to OTA-3…

1 Like

I’m on RC version 16. And I’m pretty sure I saw during the initial install last week that the UBPorts recovery was used. I didn’t flash a different recovery afterwards so I assume it’s still there.

It’s not a big deal to wait for OTA-3. It’s just that we have an FP community meeting tomorrow where I wanted to demonstrate the system. And I thought it looks nicer if I run the latest and greatest version there is :wink:

1 Like

I cannot help you without testing it beforehand, but if you want a quick answer go to the UBPorts Telegram supergroup : they are open and really helpfull :slight_smile:

1 Like

But if I get that right from the directories for the 16.04 version - https://system-image.ubports.com/ubports-touch/16.04/ - there is not yet a rc but just a devel channel.

Presenting the developer version on a fairphoners-meeting seems a bit challenging to me. :wink:

16.04 is experimental and not yet supported, it’ll come after OTA-3: migration to Xenial is a huge challenge!

If @Ingo is on rc version16, then he’s with 15.04 Vivid ! He can update to rc version17 on-the-air once the updater detects the new version.
However for a test of the highly unstable Xenial 16.04, a full reinstallation is required.

Ah, ok, I see the difference. My mistake.
I guess I’ll still have some thorough research to do, when I am switching to UbuntuTouch by the end of this year.

Ah yeah, I see that this is a little ambiguous. Didn’t think of the 16.04 version :wink:

I actually meant the latest and greatest of the “branch” I’m using so far.

I think I’ll switch to stable tonight when I’m home and OTA-3 is released. Let’s see if it works :wink:

Slightly off-topic: I wanted to join the UBPorts Forum but I’m stuck with not receiving the email with the confirmation link. Re-sent the mail twice, but never got it. I even copy/pasted the email address from my forum profile there to check for any misspellings. The address is fine.

This topic was automatically closed after 183 days. New replies are no longer allowed.