High battery drain whilst using Android Auto

Hi, I have just got an MG5 with Android Auto and have been using this with my Fairphone 3+ with the Fairphone USB-C to USB-C Long Life Cable 3.2. I am getting battery drain of 25-30% per hour. Can anyone recommend any method to avoid this drain?

Regards,

Alan

In my particular case, I connect my FP4 to the central USB port of my van and it provides some charge at the same time as data connectivity for AA. It’s slow (5v / 500mA) but it works to push in around 1% every 2 minutes. I’m using a USB-C to USB-A cable by JSAUX.

I had a look at your car manufacturer specs and I think I know what’s going on.
Pure USB-C can negotiate data transfer OR power delivery, but not both at the same time.
The USB-A socket is for data connections. If you were to use a USB-C to USB-A cable in the port with a phone/tablet icon by it then it should hopefully work. Do you have a good male USB-C to male USB-A cable you can try?

For reference, this is the cable I’m using: JSAUX cable

Are you saying that the reason is the cable and what I would need is a USB-C to USB-A cable, rather than a USB-C to USB-C with a USB-C to USB-A adapter?

I’m saying that not all cables are made equal.
It is also the easiest thing that can be swap-tested.

1 Like

Besides the different connectors, there is also a difference in cables suitable for charging only and cables suitable for charging and data.

Fairphones need cables that are suitable for both charging and data.
With a cable only for charging you can’t charge your phone in your car.

1 Like

Thanks. This is the cable I’m using (https://shop.fairphone.com/en/accessories/usb-c-3-2-long-life-cable). Is this not suitable?

Yes, this cable will do.
If you can I would check the cable with another phone.

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t have another phone, but are you thinking the problem is likely to be the phone, rather than the cable?

Zenith suggested using a USB A - to - USB C cable to connect your phone to a USB A socket. Have you tried that?

New cars only have USB c Sockets and I really dont get why those should not charge🤔

I’m using this: https://shop.fairphone.com/en/accessories/usb-c-3-2-long-life-cable, but I wonder if it is malfunctioning.

Cable was at fault. I’m getting a new one under warranty.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.