Headphone Jack Removal - Lost Customer

Am closing the topic for one day (until Monday 8am). Please all read your posts again and all think about how the discussion heated up to avoid it in the future. Thanks.

This topic was automatically opened after 34 hours.

Welcome back Jack :slight_smile:

Earbuds/headphones with MMCX replaceable cables can have user replaceable ish parts given you can replace the cable and use ones with bluetooth. But you end up replacing the blutooth module and battery and cable and mic and controls etc. So not great.

Hi Akashic Traveller :slight_smile: Welocome to the forum.

Not that any of this earthly Leela is great, but whatā€™s so ā€˜not greatā€™ about replacing parts??

Just that you canā€™t replace just the battery if thatā€™s the only problem, itā€™s still clearly better than not being replaceable at all.

I wonder if itā€™s possible for fairphone, or a third party, to make a back panel that has a headphone jack as an accesory, or even a second usb-c port.

I think that with a little effort, although not user friendly, the battery can be replaced. Well there are stories and shows of others doing so, but as yet not to the Fairphone model. Will wait around and see what shows.

I would guess they didnā€™t, it seems strange that after building and hosting a community forum they wouldnā€™t make use of it as a part of their market research. Given that weā€™re not regularly getting posts about ingress damage I would think itā€™s a perceived problem.

2 Likes

There were more reports of water ingress that jack failures, but a jack can be water tight so they donā€™t pair up.

The USB-C port of the FP4 is a module that can be replaced by the user.

And there is this adapter, just one of many:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOOAUX-Headphone-Charging-Earphones-Compatible/dp/B094Z6149B

1 Like

Anecdotally, Iā€™ve seen a few cases where mild water damage (rain, laying on a wet table) has completely bricked FP3s. A friend of mine just had to send in hers just because she had it out in the rain for a minute and it stopped working properly - I canā€™t possibly know how indicative this is of FP3s more broadly, but it may be something that FP have taken into account with the new design. Again, this is speculation because FP play it pretty close to the chest when it comes to damage and support statistics.

2 Likes

Hi @anon93683458 Welcome to the forum

Nice post by the way?

2 Likes

If it is because of 3.5 mm jacket, then I would really like to know. Because you can use stopping plugs on stuff like USB, ethernet, HDMI, DP, etc Iā€™d assume also on 3.5 mm.

It is possible to have the jack socket in a water proof sleeve. But for the IP54 rating the simpler the better and of course the target audience for new sales probably donā€™t want a jack socket.

Practice what you preach? Perhapsā€¦

Of course it is possible to have it waterproofed with headphone jack.
What is not possible then is to up sell headphones that become e-waste in 2-5years, some cases even faster, as letting batteries just be not charged is well death of the batteries.
Nope nope nope. This is not environmentally friendly move. I dobout headphone batteries that are in a sleek design are removable and replaceable. Why i even have to replace batteries on a headset? This is dumb. I will keep my fp3+ that has funny microphone, but does have a headpohone jack, that can just be connetcted to my 3 year old headphones, and have no issue of working. Sorry FP This is not a good move at all.

4 Likes

I donā€™t know how often it was said in this discussion already, with a simple adapter you can still use any wired headphone you want, as long as you want, so whatā€™s the deal?

2 Likes

Dear forum members,
As it seems that all relevant arguments have been exchanged and are now only repeated Iā€™m closing this topic.
Please feel free to give a :heart: to the posts you agree with.
If youā€™re sure you have additional arguments to add after reading the ones already given in this entire topic then please send a message to the @moderators and ask us to reopen the topic.
Thanks for your understanding.