Headphone audio issue

Would you mind clarifying if this occurred on Bluetooth or 3.5 mm headphones?

1 Like

On my Phone it only happend with 3,5 mm headphones.

2 Likes

Same thing here, with podcasts (mp3s) in a podcastplayer. 3.5 mm headphones. Have not tried without.

A podcast plays fine. As it finishes, and the next podcast in the queue starts (no active skipping), I get a static sound. It is resolved by restarting the phone. After restart, the mp3 that caused the problem plays all fine.

Not sure if it is related, but this morning, I made a call (without headphones). The call went through, but there was no sound (on my end). After 3 attempts, I restarted the phone, retried, and again we had two way communication. I have also had problems with sound (no sound) in a browser (no headphones).

1 Like

I just had the issue again. I deativated gapless play in all Players: music, spotify, antenna pod. But it happend, (with the 3,5 mm headphones.) When I paused the music (it does not depend on how I do it: on the phone or on the headphones), and wanted to start it again, the statis sound apears. And it stays, whether I use a different player or I put the headphones jack out and in again. I have to restart the phone.
And when I pause the music again, and unpause it, the static sound apears. I will open a support file with fairphone.

5 Likes

Same problem.
Spotify with 3,5 mm Jack Headphones Static Sound Bluetooth works fine.

1 Like

I’ve tried to verify this issue, when I came across another one:

I hear a continuous static sound when the device is plugged into the power socket with the official charger, while I have 3.5mm headphones (some old Marley earplugs from 2014) plugged in as well.

That sound is nothing to special as all chargers today are switching mode power supplies. Most phones have a quiet sound while charging. My S5 do have it also.

Putting my 3.5 mm plug inside the FP3 socket also causes a loud, high-pitched pop (tested without connected to USB-C). I’ve had this issue on other devices with 3.5 mm in past, and sure it is minor, but for some people such things are important.

As for the issue with the continuous static sound while it is plugged in with power socket (with official charger plus cable). I’ve just verified my FP2 with magnetic TOPK charging cable on USB hub does not have this issue. I don’t remember any (smart)phone having this issue, except for 2G interference with speakers/headphones and CRT monitors. Also, my FP2 does not make that high-pitched pop when I plug it in.

My FP3 is currently too powered up to conduct any charging related experiments on it, and my ears are currently very sensitive due to inflammation. So I need to retest, and N=1.

Same “problem” here … even with the display constantly on with some streaming video it takes hours to seriously get the battery down for testing … I’m not used to this yet :slight_smile: .

Have tried the FP3 with three different audio jacks and no headset did work. It just could not recognize it.

I’ve even tried the internal testing app (in the developer mode settings) and it says “No headphone connected”.

I finally got my FP3 last Monday - after having the delivery delayed, so the “audio issue” could be fixed. Using only BT headphones and the speaker, the whole week went flawless audiowise - but unfortunately the speakers have started to inexplicably mute from time to time now. When and why seems quite mysterious. E.g. on Instagram an Instastory video might play with sound while durig the same session a video on my Instagram timeline is muted (even though I visibly turned up the volume) or vice versa.

It seems I can revive the sound by switching to my music app (PowerAmp) and then start and stop and start a song again.

I have no idea why this behaviour started after four flawless days and certainly hope it can be fixed with an update - as at least this “audio issue” seems to not have been fixed by revising the latest batch of the phones.

1 Like

I’m in the same case, audio dissapear for no reason :man_shrugging:

It happened on 3.5mm headphones, however i have not attempted it via bluetooth

1 Like

My new FP3 works normally - I got one at the beginning of november. I use the audioplayer poweramp and only flac. Headphones are KEF M200. All works fine. For me it seems, that the FP3 has a much better sound as my old FP2.

I also had the audio issue, but all of a sudden it started working again.

I also got a tip from the support how to run a service test on the earphones.

• Open the Phone App

• Dial *#*#66#*#* in the same way you are entering a phone number to make a phone call. Once the last character is introduced, the Service Menu appears showing you three sub-menus.

• Select Service tests > Test Single

• Press Earphone .

• Plug in the earphones to run the test. Once the earphones are inserted, you should hear a pre-recorded track. If you cannot hear it, that means it is not working correctly. To stop the test, tap Back navigation key. Choose FAIL or PASS accordingly.

4 Likes

Any solution to this anyone? I find it rather annoying… :slight_smile:

Hello,

Audio problems since day 1 for me too.
(No audio in calls and have to plug in headphones, speakers stop working in the middle of a song on spotify or youtube…).
Those events appear randomly (once every 3-5 days or so) and always resolve after ohone reboot.

I’m starting to question the hardware.

What are your thoughts ?
Thanks !

2 Likes

Can confirm I have the same issue here, no audio. Shows as a problem in the service tests. Bluetooth and speaker work fine, but headphone jack does not.

My old phone no longer worked with my headphones and in order to keep using it I switched to Bluetooth headphones at that point. I frequently use Spotify with my Bluetooth headphones as well as my car radio (also connected via Bluetooth). No issues. It sounds like most issues have to do with using a headphone jack. I hope Fairphone can fix this problem of those wishing to keep using their trusty headphones!

For now I have found a workaround by using Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter (it’s the only one I could find so maybe some other ones could work too). It actually means that 3.5 mm Headphone Jack on the FP3 is not used.
After some testing sound is working every time and there are no issues when disconnecting adapter from the phone.
Interesting finding is that all controls work with this adapter with different headphones (play/pause, volume up and volume down buttons), so far I have tested Apple EarPods (from old iPhone) and Xiaomi Mi Dual Driver (designed to work only with Android), so actually it is working better than any 3.5 mm Headphone Jack.

3 Likes