Has anybody received the latest security update yet?

On the “dead robot screend” very shortly press the Volume Up button while holding the Power button. This will show the recovery menu.

1 Like

Nope! Broken Android robot!
I’m really starting to think there’s a problem with my phone…

When/after you saw the dead Android robot, did you just press or did you hold the Volume Up button? First I couldn’t get there either, but for me the key was to just briefly press it, not hold it.

1 Like

I held it. Isn’t that what one usually does?
Anyway, result is the same : broken robot with a message saying “no command”

Hold Power + Volume Up to get to the Android robot, but then just hold power + press Volume Up to get into the menu.

3 Likes

Ah yes, that does it! Thanks!
I’ll be really happy when there’s a TWRP port for FP3…

2 Likes

ok, now you just need a microscope … :wink:

3 Likes

:rofl:
Quite true!
Thanks again

OK.
Installation aborted when trying from sd card and sideload.
Says package is for source build 11150009 but expected 09261600
Getting tedious…

Yesterday evening I received the update. Worked flawlessly.

Guessing here: You are trying to skip one update and that might not be possible. Perhaps you need to install the October update first, then the December one?

Everyone: Are updates incremental again now? No full updates anymore?

1 Like

I was just searching information about ota and bsdiff, trying to possibly learn what’s in the package and how to extract it. Interestingly, Google states ever 4 or 5 updates should be full updates, so people do not need to do lots of updates after the other and just can jump to a funny up to date system. So, maybe the next update might be a full update? Let’s hope for the best!

3 Likes

Yes, I had the same thought. I’m a bit busy right now but will try it later. Thank you all for the help!

1 Like

Well, no luck either with the October update…

1 Like

The number 09261600 refers to the pre-september build A.0095 according to the metadata in the various update packages that I have seen so far. So you would need to start with d1e85d55938fdd545fcdc4b4b11098c5d183636f.zip which has:

pre-build-incremental=09261600
post-build-incremental=10011803

then the october update a1b56846df6bb6c656a511eeae9f732f5b35fbf9.zip with:

pre-build-incremental=10011803
post-build-incremental=11150009

and finally the december update eab40c208c6bd6899b51e7103822972d7a40336c.zip with:

pre-build-incremental=11150009
post-build-incremental=12171325

But this will probably not work as adb sideload seems to be broken, see post #18, since update_engine_sideload is not there, I just tried sideload for the december update and it validated but then failed to install with the same error about the update_engine_sideload. Probably something similar to this would be needed for the FPOS recovery.

PS: There are (at least) two different september updates, which depend on the version that was installed when the device shipped:

• for A.0081 (08161740): 39ce8b1b568149d8ecb8b4b7fc0d37beefc388fb.zip
  • for A.0095 (09261600): d1e85d55938fdd545fcdc4b4b11098c5d183636f.zip
1 Like

Thanks for the insight!
Tried the update you suggested and got the same sideload answer.
Have filed a support ticket…

2 Likes

OK, I’m in contact with someone from the support team. They’re looking into the issue and will get back to me in a few days hopefully. I’ll let you know how they solve the problem.

5 Likes

Just for info. It looks like the OTA updates Fairphone is pushing are"differential.updates"-aka patches - not complete images - even for the system partition

Thishas nasty implications. It means, if any changes got made to tge/system partitions, as one would see when rooting the device through an exploit.or otherwise, the device can no longer be updated by OTA updates

Worse, an attempted OTA update could worse case corrupt more data and under some - hopefully unlikely circumstances - brick the phone. Just keep that in mind.

Fairphone could mitigate that issue by providing a full / not differential image which could then be used to sideload an intact system under any circumstances.

Cheers

7 Likes

I assume that’s what they mean by

We are working towards making available:

• a flashable image for download and manual flash

on https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032971751-Operating-systems-OS-for-the-Fairphone-3

6 Likes

Yep. it would also help those a lot who try to make a custom ROM/recovery :slight_smile:

4 Likes