Hard-Bricked FP2

Hello at all,
I’m from Germany and try my best in English.

Since 2 month I’m a proud owner of a FP2. I bought it second hand from eBay.
Saturday, I updated my FP with the Fairphone Updater App to the current OS. After the update, the phone “optimize all the apps”. And after that, he did the same. Over and over again. I hung in a boot loop.
I restored to the factory setting with TWRP. The reset works without problems but the PlayStore was still there. I installed the PlayStore for some weeks manually from the Open GApps Project.

But now I wanted a Fairphone without Google Services. I decided to reinstall the FP Open OS. After the download was finished, I open the ZIP-File with the Fairphone Updater App. The app made some checks and what ever and restarts the phone. The phone goes now in the TWRP main menu. The last time I installed the FP Open OS, it goes in an “installation window”, but not in the TWRP main menu. I pressed the reboot button, the phone turned off (screen was black) and then… Nothing…

Now I’m no longer able to get any life into the phone. The display stays black, the led is not lit anymore. I tried the following things:
Enter the recovery menu (Volume up and power)
Enter the fast boot menu (Volume down and power)
But neither my Mac not my Linux computer recognize any usb device (syslog, dmesg etc.). In addition, fastboot and adb showed no devices

Finally I removed the accu and plugged in again, hold the volume down button and plugged in the usb cable. Now my Linux computer notes something:

$ dmesg
[23625.339989] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 13 using ehci-pci
[23625.446479] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=05c6, idProduct=f006
[23625.446488] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[23625.459685] hid-generic 0003:05C6:F006.000D: hiddev0,hidraw3: USB HID v1.11 Device [HID 05c6:f006] on usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.2/input0

My guess is now the following:
On my phone is nothing more - no bootloader, no kernel, nothing at all. I don’t know how I did it…

I googled around and found an article that described how to restore Fairphone if you totally bricked it. But the article is for a Fairphone 1.
The author used a program called “SP Flash Tool”. For this program you need a “scatter-loading” file, but this I can’t find.
Here is the link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Fairphone_Fairphone/Guides#How_to_restore_Fairphone_if_you_totally_bricked_it

Can anybody help me here?

Excuse my grammar.

That could indeed be the case, given the Vendor ID and PID that you’re getting. (Googling this VID/PID combi at least leads to a lot of bricked phone posts - and it’s not one of the known Fairphone device IDs)

As far as I know, the SP flash tool is specific to MediaTek platforms. There’s a different one for Qualcomm platforms, but I’ve not seen it available anywhere. I’m not aware of recovery options for FP2 when fastboot isn’t available.

I’d double check that there is also no response when plugging in the phone (no led, no automatic switch on). Then contact Fairphone support. It doesn’t necessarily need to be anything that you did - it could also be a hardware failure (e.g. the memory chip) that occurred when the system was being heavily used by the update process. You should still be covered by warranty, even if you bought the phone second hand.

2 Likes

As it is recognized as a HID input device, you could try to check if it is sending something, like an error message which could give you more clues.

you could capture its raw input with cat /dev/usb/hiddev0
or try xev or input-events commands

Good evening Johannes and jaymanu. Thanks for your fast replies.
I wanted to check if someone can help me before I contact the support. But in case of need I try to handle it over the guarantee.

Tomorrow I try the tipp with capturing the raw input. My Linux computer is currently on work.
I will report tomorrow from my results.

Thanks again.

Hallo Pireba. Ich habe das gleiche problem aber kenne mich weniger mit computern aus als du glaube ich…
Hast du inzwischen irgendwas rausgefunden das geholfen hat?
Alles gute, Isa

FP2 will be flashed only with fastboot. SP-Flashtool is a Tool only for MTK-Devices, like Fairphone 1
For Fairphone 2 you need to make a manual Reflash with fastboot from the fastboot mode.

See this topic:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.