Group action against Fairphone for dishonest support on Fairphone 3

Ha! this was funny. I know you are making fun of me, but it is funny.

Hace a nice weekend you too!

1 Like

But I canā€™t see, that you want a helpful discussion, you just want to state your point of view.

You are right, here, though. As I said, I gave up on Fairphone so I donā€™t really care at all about being helpful to the company or community building. Iā€™m extremely pissed, yes, and for all I care, the whole company can go bankrupt and the community disappear.

But this does not mean Iā€™m not right. Iā€™m defending the right of someone to use the words they like, even if the rest of us donā€™t like them. I really donā€™t see anything wrong with this and I see something wrong in not allowing people to use the words they choose. Very wrong.

You think otherwise, fair enough. We donā€™t need to agree on everything.

But it doesnā€™t mean you are right either.

Disagreeing on wording and trying to convince someone to change his/her wording is called discussion and neither supression nor censorship or ā€œnot allowing toā€.
When someone is using harsh expressions, this someone has to expect disagreement, as it is an open forum and as you yourself correctly stated:

But if one defends the rights of others to say something, this should be a general stance and not reserved for opinions one agrees to.

Btw:
The ā€œcensorshipā€ applied to the users wording were apostrophs around ā€˜thatā€™ word, not deleting it, which might make a slight difference. But of course it changes the expression a bit.

6 Likes

I bookmarked this thread, as it was important to me. I must admit, I havenā€™t read all of the posts, but I want to report something possilby relevant, This issue has been affecting me since September 2020 when I bought an FP3+. I quickly found out, it had this issue. My last ā€œsupport requestā€ update from FP is dated early December 2020, which is outrageous (they should be ashamed).

However, one of the things they asked me to do what to request a new SIM from my provider, and a while ago I did. I got a new one a few weeks ago and put it in. Now, the trouble is, my phone is more a pocket computer than a phone and I donā€™t get called a lot. But today, I got two calls, as in you know that outdated technology kind of thing, non-VOIP stuff, and they both worked. I wasnā€™t expecting that at all, and was very surprised I could hear the other end.

Anyway, slightly anecdotal, and not sufficient to say ā€œweā€™ve seen the lightā€. I am also on the latest Android 10.

I think this is representative on how much the usual people of that forum want outsiders that donā€™t agree with them to feel unwelcome

1 Like

@BertG
"Disagreeing on wording and trying to convince someone to change his/her wording is called discussion "
I wish it has been like that. I felt as if some regulars of the forum felt on me. I have been accused of so many things, and I had to re-state what I wanted to say so many times. I had to flag some posts, and get in touch with moderators regarding some people (user, power user and moderator) which I think were unfair to me. The discussion that followed with the moderators (unfortunately privately) shown me that I was right. The fact that the title is kept until now is not thanks to the nice environment of that forum, but thanks to my determination and the help of few others.

This post talks about alternative to court case that I found doing search on the net.
I found the ODR particularly interesting as it seams to be very much fit for cases discusses here (or No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot)
None of the replies on that thread discuss about such issues. They mostly try to make me change the title.

1 Like

It depends if someone just does not agree/share others opinions but respects them, or if someone says ā€œIf you choose to be offended, go ahead. I regret nothing.ā€ and leans back, which, in my opinion, is a very provocative way to express disrespect to the other personā€¦

4 Likes

Well, it all depends on the context.
The current thread has a loaded context, to not get back into details.
Plus telling "If you choose to be offended, go ahead. I regret nothing.ā€ is provocative, which is fine. But I do not think it expresses disrespect. Because it does not attack the person directly, but tries to express a point of view. One could says that it is trying to put intention into someone elseā€™s, which is acceptable as long as it is not defamatory. Which it isnā€™t now because there is no confusion about who writes what.
On the other hand, the way I got bullied for the title of my thread, the refusal to discuss the problems I brought up (many people being unsatisfied about the support, what to do as a single individual against a company, the general cool-washing of Fairphone which leads to double language), and the accusation I was the target of (trying to build me a ā€œreputationā€, insinuating I am trying the take advantage of a situation I am a victim of, knee-jerking my posts), is clearly a lack of respect.

1 Like

Maybe you should change your post title in ā€œhow bad are people in this forumā€ since it seems you focus much more on that than on what made you create this thread : recruit people to sue Fairphone for the reason you explained.

Edit : I know it is not very constructive. If Bas_tien wants to say something useful and not repeat always the same things, it would be make me in a more comprehensive mood. For example, it would be much more interesting to give a follow-up of where he is in his complaint.

3 Likes

Itā€™s taken quite long, but Fairphone has explained why the support has been so slow lately: Why is nobody getting back to me? - #57 by rae

3 Likes

In his case the problem is not the slow support but the fact Fairphone considers creating a thread in this forum is not opening a ticket at the support whereas Bas_tien argues it is. So he wants to sue Fairphone to get his money back.

2 Likes

It certainly does, because the (unnecessary) words ā€œI regret nothingā€ tell me that this person is not willing to find a solution for all parties involved, so I do not care anymore about the matter itself and just leave her/him alone. Period.

2 Likes

So, despite my hopeful reports that it may be working for me, alas it doesnā€™t.

Just a recap of my support ticket history:

Request logged December 02, 2020 15:11
Replied from FP December 07, 2020 10:44 saying ā€œoh, weā€™re so busy, but we have received your issue, just so you knowā€
Update from FP December 16, 2020 16:06 ā€œthanks for your patience, hereā€™s an enormous list of things you could try to resolve itā€
Me posting December 21, 2020 11:06 ā€œIā€™ve tried a few things, but nothing workedā€
Reply from FP December 29, 2020 09:49 ā€œCan you run a few ##66## tests are see the resultsā€
Me replying December 29, 2020 13:16 ā€œTried all that, tests PASS after a restart. I donā€™t want to factory reset, as that is extremely inconvenientā€
Reply from FP January 04, 2021 12:15 ā€œBlah blah blah, inconvenient, blah blah, doing our best, blah blah blah will be in touchā€
Me replying January 05, 2021 12:03: ā€œFair enough, I work in tech, I know things can be complicated. If you want me to help out testing let me know.ā€ I tried one time, and it seemed to work, so fingers crossed.
FP replies Today at 15:13 (which is March 1st, 2021) I need to add the year here, just to be sure.
Their reply is ā€œGreat, itā€™s all working, so I will close this ticketā€
I quickly replied saying ā€œIā€™m afraid not,ā€ and linked to this forum topic

You provide FP with a link to this topic about dishonesty, not your problem ~ which you say you resolved on Jan 5th

So are you trying to say FP are dishonest as 8 weeks after you said you fixed it they said

I am unclear as to what you are trying to say ??

3 Likes

TL;DR ā€œI thought creating a thread in a community forum poses as official support; it wasnā€™tā€. If you believe you are in the right, you should go to small claims court. Since you appear to be in The Netherlands, as does Fairphone, you donā€™t need europa.eu/* you need to consult/apply Dutch law instead.

Iā€™m considering filling that form.

Do it.

Not sure why you link huurcommissie.nl. Might as well link to Tros Radar, Opgelicht?!, Consumentenbond, Juridisch Loket, rechtsbijstandverzekering, ā€¦

All the ā€˜join me in my fight of injusticeā€™ is just noise. Look at Max Schrems.

I do suggest you realize youā€™re dealing with a very small company. If you still want to go ahead, shoot. Of course, on a community forum hosted by the company in question you meet resistance and criticism. What else did you expect?

2 Likes

Hi
Iā€™m not sure of what criticism you are referring to but a) criticism is essential to understand and b) I donā€™t care who hosts the domain name or who runs the server ~ the forum is for opinions on how to help those users who ask. Without criticism, asking questions and challenging opinions help it would grind to a halt.

Resistance, to what? Alternate view ??

1 Like

Resistance in the abstract sense of the wordā€¦

The point is that on a community forum hosted by a company there is an element of influence. Its not always opaque or apparent, it might even be simply/mostly a perception.

Which is why it is better to separate a community forum from a company structure, even if well intended, at the very least it will remove the perception.

As of now, hereā€™s a prime example where it matters (cause you wonā€™t find it relevant until it suddenly is :wink: ) the fact the forum is administrated by Fairphone employees clouds it further.

From a legal structure, the forum can be owned by an entity called ā€˜Friends of Fairphoneā€™, with exactly the same people and a redirect from forum.fairphone.com to such website. It would make a stronger legal defense.

1 Like

I think the forum, although hosted by Fairphone is administered by users not employees.

Iā€™m not sure an independent party wants to foot the bill for hosting this forum without monetary input (adds, begging)

Specifically have you come across a Fairphone employee that has administered the forum, I say administered in the sense of vetting the posts, not hosting.

Fairphone is doing the technical administration.

ā€œFriends of Fairphoneā€ would really have to be best buddies, as running a forum is not just time consuming, but costing real money as well. And - to be honest - I would not be very willing to invest my money besides my time to keep this forum up and running. And every change in moderators/admins/members could/would have an impact on funding.

Yet, I do agree, that measures could be taken to make the independence of this forum from Fairphone more obvious. But such things have to be well-thought-out.

From my own experience, I only can assure anyone, that I havenā€™t found any sign of Fairphone influencing the moderation of this forum or doing moderation themselves.
There is no such thing like censoring or ā€œpraising advertisementsā€.

But - obviously - this forum is managed by people, that (at least) have generally fallen for the concept of Fairphone; even if they critizice the company for one thing or the other. (Well, thatā€™s at least my perception.)

3 Likes