GrapheneOS support held back

It all seems pretty harmless to me.

Some people are very demanding and some people are working their socks off, thatā€™s not harmless itā€™s rude and unappreciative. Like children always asking their parents for this and that etc. but hey! children hopefully will learn via the feedback.

1 Like

Like I said, it doesnā€™t phase me.

Perhaps others, maybe. But perhaps others are looking for a reason to be offended.

I thought it was about the people who do all the work on Graphene etc. not you ??

Well, this thread was supposed to discuss the reasons why GrapheneOS support on Fairphone was being held back.

Somewhere along the way someone got offended, which I donā€™t care about.

What I care about is why the Snowden recommended OS is not available on the device.

1 Like

If you donā€™t care about others, why exactly do you expect others to care about what you want?

The reason why GrapheneOS isnā€™t on the FP4 has been clearly laid out above, they wonā€™t support it for technical reasons. No amount of pondering here will change that.
If you think thatā€™s an oversight youā€™ll have to talk to the main developer and convince him otherwise.

Further discussion will just waste everyoneā€™s time here, which you stated isnā€™t your style, so I consider this solved.

3 Likes

You seem to be repeating that you donā€™t care about what others think but luckily others do and so you get responses to your posts, but as mentioned you seem you donā€™t care about the responses and so at some point they will stop.

I never liked the word troll but your lack of care for the people that support you seems odd. I hope you will reconsider your approach to those around you.

I probably wonā€™t respond and as you point out this has gone off topic and is not about Graphene, as you can contact them direct, itā€™s about you wanting this forums input. Well you have that. I wonā€™t respond anymore so have a good evening or time.

2 Likes

By the way is there any truth to the statement that private keys for the Stock Rom are publicly available? That is a pretty bold statement. I canā€™t find anything about it.

2 Likes

Hello, I come from iOS (iPhone 11) and I recommend you the fairphone with iode.tech. iode is quite nice, it has an adblocker integrated and it comes with Android 12, which is quite good looking. Nowā€¦ Some apps wonā€™t work because they use microg. For example Google Pay. And some apps require to be whitelisted in iodeā€™s adblocker (like FTX, otherwise it doesnā€™t work).
Also, the camera that comes with iode is weird AF. Some people use the Google Pixel camera (thereā€™s an APK somewhere in this forum).

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum and thanks for your vote on iode OS :slight_smile:

I also didnā€™t find anything about it. Someone should ask him on Twitter (I donā€™t have a Twitter account) or Matrix (I got banned from the GrapheneOS rooms just for being in the CalyxOS rooms as well) for a proof, but should expect to get blocked/banned.

1 Like

:point_down:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

Is that the front or rear camera that you are referring to please ?

Ah no, I mean the app. People like me who use iode use the google pixel camera app because itā€™s quite good, but itā€™s a bit laggy and also the slow motion camera doesnā€™t work. If I were you Iā€™d think twice about the advantage of moving to iode. I didnā€™t think, so I just switched to iode and then going back to the custom ROM is difficult.
Ask yourself, do you want to avoid google or just use dev tools? I want to use dev tools that are not available on iOS, like syncthing or keepass (kepass is available, but meh). If you want to avoid google, trackers and ads, and you donā€™t care to use google pay, then use iode. Now, if you care, you might want to stay with Fairphoneā€™s ROM.
Ok, now letā€™s say that you want to try iode and if you donā€™t like it go back to Fairphoneā€™s ROM to enjoy Google Pay/Wallet and so on. You canā€™t (I couldnā€™t maybe someone can). You can install Fairphoneā€™s ROM, but you canā€™t lock the bootloader for some reason. If you try, you might ā€œbrickā€ your phone. I tried and I was lucky enough to not ā€œbrickā€ it. I just installed iode and I am currently using it.

Nowā€¦ main differences? iode works, some google apps donā€™t. iode doesnā€™t require root, so apps like Binance or maybe some bank apps WILL work. You will be free of ads (except on Youtube, but you can use NewPipe), you wonā€™t have trackers, and it uses Android 12, which is quite nice because the look and gestures are similar to iOS. If you donā€™t use iode, so you choose FPā€™s ROM, you will have Android 11 which looks like an Android from 2012, everything will work, but you will have ads.

BTW, thereā€™s also an alternative which is FPā€™s ROM with root and you can try to make apps work by hiding the rooting from some apps, like your bank. But it doesnā€™t work. You need to pass safetynet and some other things. Itā€™s too much hustle to try (I tried so you donā€™t need to hehe).

Conclusion: If you care about privacy and not much about taking slow motion videos, use iode. If you just want to move away from iOS, use syncthing or some other nice Android apps that in iOS suck or doesnā€™t exist, stay with the default FP ROM.

1 Like

CalyxOS installation for Fairphone 4 is already available on their pages:

Personally Iā€™m going to try out CalyxOS when the bootloader issues have been resolved. Iā€™ve flashed plenty of Roms in my days and I have no intention of making my Fairphone 4 the first phone I brick from it.

The device-flasher has checks in place to stop you from bricking. The only way left to brick is if you decide not to lock it during installation, boot into Android and lock it afterwards.

Iā€™ve flashed my phone at least thirty times (including locking) since the device-flasher came out and it hasnā€™t failed me yet.

If you are waiting for Fairphone to fix the bootloader, I donā€™t think weā€™ll see any improvements there in the near future, if ever. Itā€™s been broken from the start, and if countless people bricking their devices doesnā€™t get them to speed it up, itā€™s probably not getting fixed.

2 Likes

Naturally I know you are right

But a part of me thinks that a company so determined to the environment has to fix the issue breaking phones. Right?

ā€¦ Right?

Well, I mean the phones can get repaired, just not by us users ā€¦ :roll_eyes:

If you, as a company, donā€™t fix a problem that bricks customer devices, I can see various reasons for that:

• Not enough people are running into the issue and itā€™s still cheaper to fix the broken phones
  • The devs donā€™t know how to fix it either (judging by some embarassing SNAFUs in the past, Iā€™m not ruling that out)
  • Itā€™s working as itā€™s supposed to, but nobody has found a gentle way to let the community know

Either way, Iā€™m done waiting and Iā€™m done pleading, Iā€™ve asked so many times for clarification on this matter without any response that I almost left this forum altogether.
But thatā€™s not the way, Iā€™m enjoying my Fairphone, despite Fairphone as a company not living up to my expectations. I just wish they would see reason and communicate the issues clearly, I have not given up hope that the new community manager position miraculously improves things :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.