GPS does not work

Hello again,

Just a question about using a ā€˜terminalā€™. Iā€™ve never done this kind of thing before, How do you get to the terminal screen, do you just connect the phone via USB and then open something in Windows, or will I need specific software?

If you can help that would be great, Iā€™m really not clued up on this - Iā€™m sure itā€™s very basic stuff.

Many thanks,

Eddie

1 Like

er, what is EPO updating? Is it specific to FP1? (FP2 does the GPS job correctly off-the-box here)

Today an app that is relevant to this discussion made its appearnace in the F-Droid database: FP1-EPO-Autoupdate

It is an alpha version, havenā€™t had time to test it yet but I thought some here might be eager to.

8 Likes

Hi @van, The App you link too on F-droid seems to have solved the GPS problems on my phone. I installed the newer Beta version and once enabled the GPS found my position quickly even though I was indoors. I was near a window but I donā€™t think this has ever happened before. Itā€™s a big improvement from standing outside looking quizzically at the sky for minutes! I went for a run just now and the tracking was much better than before.

Thanks again to you and the developers.

All the best

Eddie

2 Likes

@Slinky
Iā€™m glad you could benefit from this app, hopefully itā€™ll help those who were experiencing GPS issues too.

I have to say though that I didnā€™t notice much improvement in how long the phone needs to lock the signal, but I only made a quick test so far.

@Slinky hope you like it. Please disable your original EPO updater via the System Settings or the EngineerMode to avoid clashes. Please also post your Fairphone (first/second) and OS version. And of course: Any bugs :slight_smile:

@van, of course, it doesnā€™t improve anything with the GPS itself, it just updates the EPO files regularly. So, the time-to-first-fix might still be up to several mins. Itā€™s just an easier way to ensure that EPO at least works and keeps working :wink:

@sn0b
Yes, I get it. (Youā€™re the dev right?)

I thought that having the updated EPO file would help in locking the GPS signal faster thus, by being able to download it properly thanks to this app, I could actually lock it in a shorter time as opposed to the average time I observed so far without the EPO file (which I kept disabled since the phone was never able to fetch it).

Since I installed the app I havenā€™t had much time to test GPS around so I canā€™t really say it works better (nor worse) with it, but locking the signal from the window or even outside but without really moving far, I canā€™t say it changed much.

It must be also said that I havenā€™t had much trouble with GPS in the first place, unlike some in this thread the locking and precision of the signal have always been good enough for me, without even using any of the enhancing methods described above and in other threads. :wink:

Thanks for the tip, van! This app works like a charm, fresh epo files downloaded in an instant (while, in my experience, the ā€˜MT GPS EPO fixā€™ app is pretty useless - if FPā€™s own downloader canā€™t get the EPO file, MT GPS EPO wonā€™t get it either).

Further to this I drove yestereday without the charger plugged in but there was no improvement, the position was sometimes on the road, sometimes anywhere from 5m to maybe 100m off the road. Several times I had it lose GPS and announce ā€˜GPS signal lostā€™ on an open road with a good view of the sky, Iā€™ve not had that before when plugged in. When I reached a town I spent 10 minutes trying to stick with the FP and got lost, I had to switch back to my old galaxy S2 to find my way.

Iā€™d love some initial diagnosis on this GPS peformance is it software related? is it just a poor gps chip? I too would never have bought the phone had I know that the GPS was unusable for driving.

Dear FPer,
to inform people who have problems installing GPS on FP I updated my earlier post: GPS does not work.
Have a nice sunday
Rob Doc

Hey,
I tried now the FP1-EPO-Autodownload from F-Drod for some days (but I can not say if it really speeds up the TimeToFirstFix, but anyway), but the app works like a charm - thanks for programming it!
But two questions still remain for me:

• in which units is the ā€œinterval timeā€? Minutes or seconds? (Couldnā€™t find in documentations or by trial&error)
  • if I do a successful update of the EPO file:
    why does my preferred App ā€œGPS Status & Toolboxā€ ignore the update and still
    shows the ā€œAGPS Age = 4daysā€, although I just updated the EPO some
    minutes before?
    In contrast, in the Android settings under GPS the values for the new
    EPO file are all correct (donwload time / starting time / expiring
    time), the build-in auto-update is now disabled.

Any hints?
Cheers, Robert

1 Like

hi @therob,

1. the interval time is in minutes, just like the built-in updater
  2. Your app is talking about AGPS. That is an additional or alternative way to speed up time-to-first-fix. AGPS requiers that you have a data connection active. In Contrary, EPO uses pre-calculated positions of the GPS satellites. So, your app is showing the update data from AGPS, not EPO.

From my experience I can tell, that without an up-to-date EPO file i never got a fix at all (when not using AGPS). From that point of view, the FP1-EPO-Autodownload is a big help, however, time-to-first-fix may still be several minutesā€¦

2 Likes

First of all, I would like to thank sn0b for FP1-EPO-Autodownload and encourage everyone who thinks GPS is broken to try it and give the FP some minutes time when outdoors for first fix. I write this because I was partly disappointed too about the GPS performance, but it seems more of a technology restriction than a FP1 issue.

You can find posts about all makes of devices, including outdoor GPS devices over the web, where users complain about offsets between the true position and the reported position of several hundreds of meters. I found no web page, though, giving a satisfactory explanation. But when one studies GPS design, enough aspects show up which can degrade the result, including multipath reception, varying signal strength etc. A receiver that is only 1/4 ā€˜chipā€™ (250ns) off the true signal timing makes 75 metres offset against the true distance from the resp. satellite.
I also experimented with these kitchen aluminium foil ā€˜GPS antennasā€™ and found out that I was able to degrade signal strength,but not significantly improve it. So the antenna seems to be well designed, too.

Sorry if someone else suggested the same thing before.
When I read about GPS scamblers/disrupters on the web, I thought that you might operate another device close to the receiver, which radiates in the 0ā€¦1MHz frequency band. This might be the car radio or another electronic device which is maybe defective or poorly designed. The GPS receiver basically creates kinda pseudo noise sequences at a 1MHz rate and autocorrelates this with the antenna noise to find the satellitesā€™ signals in the noise. Obviously, third party noise makes this much harder.

Itā€™s really sad that the gps is working so poorly, I can not track my runs and the navigation is really annoying.

I have tried the suggestions of Robin but unfortunately I can not download the EPO filesā€¦

Now Iā€™m thinking to buy a GPS for the car and one for runningā€¦

My experience is only with OsmAnd, but with this app

• definitely car navigation is absolutely OK, without any change in the original GPS handling (no ā€œbetter GPSā€, nothing like that).
    Iā€™d call it operational and I do rely on it.

• tracks recording, OTOH, brings quite erratic pathes, which are unusable to update Openstreetmap for instance. Dozens and dozens m errors.
    This may be because of the way Iā€™m pocketing the thing (in an horizontal pouch on my belt: I donā€™t walk with the FP in hand nor nicely located in a backpack top for instance)

Iā€™d call the GPS chip an average one no more, with a relatively slow convergence and handling never more than 12 sats.

But it does replace my car GPS, and with free and always-updated OSM maps -and now not having this would be terrible :slight_smile:

Next time Iā€™m going to walk in the wild Iā€™ll try the top-of-the-bagpack idea, just to seeā€¦

Hello,

i really like the whole concept and everything around and i really like my FP, but my GPS is not working at all. I am not that nerdy, that i want to try to fix it on my ownā€¦ is there a chance that this problem will be fixed in the future?
Is it possible to change the GPS chip ?

I am not doing a lot with my phone, besides navigating and running. For that I really need GPS.

What do you think @Robin? Otherwise i sell it again and wait for FP2?

Hmm, my GPS sometimes works very well, other times it doesnā€™t work at all. I actually believe that this is a software issue (with the A-GPS data etc.) and this can be fixed. I hope this gets fixed in the next Fairphone software update as it has been reported to the support team.

interesting, mine is quite unusable for navigation and I always end up falling back to my old galaxy S2 which was a perfect SatNav replacement. Next time I am doing a reasonable length drive Iā€™m going to see if I can get some video of both phones navigating at the same time.

1 Like