GPS does not work

Whatever the cause (and possible solution) is: if I would have known or even guessed that the GPS would behave so poorly, I would never have bought the phone. No matter how fair it is :slight_smile:

what theā€¦ really?? thats very interesting, I always have it plugged in in the car, Iā€™ll try this next time. The accuracy is the main reason I gave up on it, long GPS fix times are annoying but bearable, inaccuracy when driving was a killer though.

I had the same problems with the GPS that have been described in the forum (EPO files did not download, fixing my position was impossible etc). After the Cherry 1.6 update it did not (seem to) work neither.
A couple of days ago I just switched on the GPS on while waiting at a bus stop - and here we go: GPS works all of a sudden. Fixing my position within seconds: no problem. Tracking, navigation: no problem and with high accuracy. It just stops working as soon as Iā€™m indoors.
It sounds too simple, but try the GPS outside! (no need to download EPO files before)
That would have spared me a lot of frustration, hopefully it helps some of you.

1 Like

Update: Gravitybox half ā€¦

danke, aber ā€¦

bei mir gibts da eine Fehlermeldung:
Box ā€œUSSD-Code wird ausgefĆ¼hrtā€ oder so, dann ā€œVebindungsproblem oder ungĆ¼ltigerMM-Codeā€

Wat nu?
Franz

Da hat die Foren-Formattierung zugeschlagen; die Zeichenfolge muss *#*#3646633#*#* heissen

After initially being so impressed with the FP1, a couple of recent car journeys has made me realise what people were talking aboutā€¦ the GPS is just terrible. So Iā€™m working through the solutions suggested above.

One thingā€¦ from @RobDocā€™s list, when I try ā€œCopy EPO.DAT & EPO.ND5 to the folder /data/miscā€ I get a ā€œpermission deniedā€ alert. Presumably I donā€™t have root access? Could anyone tell me what I need to do here?

Seriously, thoughā€¦ my previous phone (a 2009 HTC Desire) does GPS perfectly without any need for data backup. How does a Ā£300 phone (a very good one in most aspects) get to this stage with such an obvious flaw?

You will need a file manager app that offers you to make use of your root privileges. FPā€™s default file manager does not. X-plore is one app that does this, but there are of course a lot more.

Even if I havenā€™t had any really big issues with FPā€™s GPS myself - save for the delay in getting a fix (1-2, sometimes even 3 minutes) - I suspect that the explanation can be the chipset used (Mediatek). Or maybe other HW parts, e.g. GPS receiver. Which means that it will be very difficult to solve the problems through a software update.

Oh, and there.s a small typo in robdocā€™s post: Should be EPO.MD5, not ND5! Probably obviousā€¦

The funny thing is that this happened with Tomi File Manager, which I thought would do the job. Will try X-plore, thoughā€¦

In a terminal (I do it on a Mac):

adb push EPO.DAT /sdcard
adb push EPO.MD5 /sdcard
adb shell

Now youā€™re working on the FP directly

su
cp /sdcard/EPO.* /data/misc
rm /sdcard/EPO.*
exit

Thanks @martinv2 - Iā€™ll try that. Certainly much easier to work from Terminal!

Hello everyone,

My GPS does work but takes a long time sometimes to get a lock on where I am, and does seem to jump around a lot when Iā€™m on a run. So Iā€™ve been trying to do @RobDoc 's fix. I downloaded xPLORE and can see the folder where the files need to go but I canā€™t copy them into the folder, it says 'canā€™t write to file : /system/data/misc/EPO.DAT /system/data/misc/EPO.DAT: open failed: EROFS (read-only file system).

So I havenā€™t been able to get past this step 2 in the fix. Dow anyone know why I canā€™t copy these files to the correct folder and how I could do this?

Many thanks

Eddie

Hello again,

Just a question about using a ā€˜terminalā€™. Iā€™ve never done this kind of thing before, How do you get to the terminal screen, do you just connect the phone via USB and then open something in Windows, or will I need specific software?

If you can help that would be great, Iā€™m really not clued up on this - Iā€™m sure itā€™s very basic stuff.

Many thanks,

Eddie

1 Like

er, what is EPO updating? Is it specific to FP1? (FP2 does the GPS job correctly off-the-box here)

Today an app that is relevant to this discussion made its appearnace in the F-Droid database: FP1-EPO-Autoupdate

It is an alpha version, havenā€™t had time to test it yet but I thought some here might be eager to.

8 Likes

Hi @van, The App you link too on F-droid seems to have solved the GPS problems on my phone. I installed the newer Beta version and once enabled the GPS found my position quickly even though I was indoors. I was near a window but I donā€™t think this has ever happened before. Itā€™s a big improvement from standing outside looking quizzically at the sky for minutes! I went for a run just now and the tracking was much better than before.

Thanks again to you and the developers.

All the best

Eddie

2 Likes

@Slinky
Iā€™m glad you could benefit from this app, hopefully itā€™ll help those who were experiencing GPS issues too.

I have to say though that I didnā€™t notice much improvement in how long the phone needs to lock the signal, but I only made a quick test so far.

@Slinky hope you like it. Please disable your original EPO updater via the System Settings or the EngineerMode to avoid clashes. Please also post your Fairphone (first/second) and OS version. And of course: Any bugs :slight_smile:

@van, of course, it doesnā€™t improve anything with the GPS itself, it just updates the EPO files regularly. So, the time-to-first-fix might still be up to several mins. Itā€™s just an easier way to ensure that EPO at least works and keeps working :wink:

@sn0b
Yes, I get it. (Youā€™re the dev right?)

I thought that having the updated EPO file would help in locking the GPS signal faster thus, by being able to download it properly thanks to this app, I could actually lock it in a shorter time as opposed to the average time I observed so far without the EPO file (which I kept disabled since the phone was never able to fetch it).

Since I installed the app I havenā€™t had much time to test GPS around so I canā€™t really say it works better (nor worse) with it, but locking the signal from the window or even outside but without really moving far, I canā€™t say it changed much.

It must be also said that I havenā€™t had much trouble with GPS in the first place, unlike some in this thread the locking and precision of the signal have always been good enough for me, without even using any of the enhancing methods described above and in other threads. :wink:

Thanks for the tip, van! This app works like a charm, fresh epo files downloaded in an instant (while, in my experience, the ā€˜MT GPS EPO fixā€™ app is pretty useless - if FPā€™s own downloader canā€™t get the EPO file, MT GPS EPO wonā€™t get it either).