I suffer also this problem for some months; it seems related to opening SatStat application after a reboot (or when Android garbage collector closes the app for long inactivity); the steps to reproduce are:
activate GPS (this causes the location service of SatStat starting check for a fix);
click on the notification to open SatStat;
2b) [not mandatory and not important] close SatStat (simply close, not terminating from Applications settings)
After step 3) I see GPS Active always on.
I can’t remember when the problem occurred for the first time, or if it is due to 1.8.5 upgrade, but for sure this doesn’t affect so much battery life, so it seems to be a simple false notification.
Funnily this happens for the first time for me today. I switched back and forth from OsmAnd and SatStat, and suddenly I wasn’t getting a fix anymore although there was the notification, of “location determined”. So it certainly prevented a real fix in OSMAnd and I had to do a restart to solve the issue.
Well I didn’t notice any issue in getting a fix even with SatStat or with Osmand, for me the fix is about random, sometimes I get it in seconds, while there are situations when I have to wait for minutes; I also have GSMLocation backend active, but it seems there are situations (outside, sunny day) when I get no GPS signal…
However I don’t think it is due to this strange behavior with GPS always active…