Google sync lost after update

This seems to work for me aswell! Thank you so much.

Hi. Basically I ran the updater again (Apps/(ALL)Fairphone Updater/… and as it was installed already the only thing I missed on the installation time was to press the red banner about GoogleApps. All seams to be back to normal.

Hope it helps.
Thanks Stefan

1 Like

Re-running the Fairphone 1.8.7 updater did not work. Do not do this if you already have push notifications working temporarily!
It actually broke push notifications again, and this time the Google Play services reinstall does not fix it. Bummer.

The SL Push Tester app works fine. The WiFi icon is blue. But no push notifications come through for Gmail.


It worked! It was simple… thanks a lot!

1 Like

I followed the instructions on, after another reinstall of the update and the gapps.
For now, android device manager works again, and I also receive push notifications from Gmail

Hello! I have the same problems and many more… I wrote an e-mail to the support many days ago, but no reply… So: Sync of my contacts/calendar etc. stopped working even before the latest system update. All my contacts and calendar entries got lost after the update (Kola Nut 1.8.7). Can’t import them from the cloud although sync is activated. Password is correct! Deinstalled and recreated the Google account several times. Made the system update a second time, didn’t change anything. Can’t download any apps because of the storage problem. (So my mail app doesn’t work any more anyway. And I already had to delete several important apps because of the alleged lack of storage.) Can’t do the repartitioning of the storage because I can’t make a backup of the phone because my computer can’t “see” the phone (I already tried several USB cables). I’m rather desperate and really don’t know anymore how to solve all these problems… PLEASE help me!!! :frowning: Thanks.


Do you use a Mac, Linux or Windows?

The trick with the Labels worked for me (my wife’s phone). :smiley:
In our case only the “sent mails”-label were synchronized… :confused:

Re-running the Fairphone 1.8.7 updater did does work after all… sort of.:
Afer reinstalling the 1.8.7 Fairphone update using Stefan’s method above the Gmail interface may display the messaging sync for an email account as ticked: In “Settings” “Sync Gmail” is ticked. “Days of mail to sync” may show the previous setting (“30 days” in my case). So, I thought all was set, but no, after touching “Days of mail to sync” it showed no sync! (I am 99% sure of this but it all got very confusing!). So after reinstalling 1.8.7 and Google apps, rebooting, and installing a Google+ update, and checking that “Days of mail to sync” is set… push email now works.


Finally… My phone seems to be a smartphone again, yippieh! I managed to do a backup by using an SD card, then did a hard reset and the storage partition upgrade. It was a lot of work and waiting and numerous restarts etc. … and of course all my settings were gone. Also, when I wanted to restore everything, the phone didn’t find the SD card! :frowning: But after another restart, it went well. Now everything works again, including the sync, and I can download new apps! Thanks to Luc from the support team.

1 Like

I can confirm this behaviour after the 1.8.7 update

What have been done:

  • install update
  • install gapps
  • clear cache
    no automatic gmail sync work even if google account indicate sync is on.

I can acces my email/calendar/contact but I had to refresh them manually.

Reseting sync days in ‘Gmail/manage labels’ and then set it back to ‘30 days’ works for a few times but then mail sync stops again.

Sync/push with other non-google apps work perfectly (like k9mail)

Any one with a stable solution ?

Not sure whether my problems were caused by the same issue that others are experiencing, so YMMV. I’ve started from fixing ADM not working, rather than push notifications not working, but in the end both problems were gone. What I’ve done is followed instructions that are basically identical to those posted :

Which fixed ADM for me (my primary goal). After this I still had a lingering issue with push notifications, which for me disappeared after toggling ‘Settings > Data usage > [menu key] > Auto-sync data’ off and on again. I haven’t had any issues after this (around a week) or after a reboot. It probably doesn’t hurt to disable auto-sync before following the instructions above and enabling it again just before the reboot step - but I haven’t tested this.

Macbook Air, Mac OS X version 10.7.5.