Google Play services stop repeatedly - solved

Hello,

since update 1.9.3 it seems that the Google Play services don’t work any more. Every time I open a Google App (Play Store, Maps, etc) a message box appears every other ~10 seconds, telling that the services stopped working. Hangouts isn’t working at all, Maps can’t be used with the message popping up repeatedly. App updates seem to work, but Google apps can’t be used like this.
Does anyone have an idea how to solve this? Reboot does not help, there is enough memory left in memory and on the internal storage.
Also can’t see how to downgrade, can only find links to 1.9.3. Anyway, this would be my last option.
I had only minor probems with my phone so far and now this…

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Sascha

1 Like

To downgrade, you’d have to download the previous update from the website and then install it.

However, before you attempt that, maybe worth trying to reinstall 1.9.3 first - in the updater app go to the advanced mode section and then android for Fairphone, then reinstall the full version of the 1.9.3 update.

Hi Chris,

thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, it did not help. By the way, you told me to reinstall the “full version of 1.9.3” Does this mean, that when the phone updated itself in the first attempt, it was a kind of incremental update?
So my only option is to downgrade to the previous version… I think I will wait for a while if there will be a fix or a miracle :slight_smile:

Regards,
Sascha

Finally, I managed to solve the problem by deactivating google play services under Settings/Apps. I reset it to the pre-installed version and updated again to the latest version. Some of my data was erased and I had to log in again with my google account, but it was worth it.

Regards,
Sascha

1 Like

Thanks @Sascha.S this problem has been driving me mad and your solution above appears to have fixed it for me.

Gary.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.