Ghost inputs on FP4

Some problem with my FP4. Ghost inputs started after some months in use and increased week by week. I replaced the display by a new one und the problem was solved, but came back after approx. 2 month with the new display. And again they increase.
Unfortunately FP support has no clue about this issue and suggested to send the phone in.

I still don’t have a pattern when they occur. My suspicion is around variations of sensitivity, temperature and stress. But anyway, I will try to clean and fix the connector.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 Like

Hi, For my fairphone 4 I’ve experienced the ghost inputs regularily, since a few months. I thought it was caused by the (official) phone case I got in october, but when I took it out of the case it still occurred. Apart from the case I don’t have any modifications to my phone (e.g. screen protectors)

The inputs are mostly in the middle (just as in the few screenshots that others posted). In some cases it clicked buttons that happen to be in the middle, in some cases it zoomed. Most of the time it started scrolling like crazy. Sometimes it swiped down the settings panel at the top

3 Likes

The same procedure by me

Hello everyone,

My name is Hans and I own a Fairphone 4 since (I guess) April 2022. Since october I experience ghost inputs. Like Katho80 mentioned earlier; when ghost inputs appear and I knock on the back of the phone I am able to surpress the ghost inputs. With other words they will end when I knock on the back of the phone. I also reassembled the screen like stated above…but the ghost inputs came back after 4 / 5 weeks.

I often repair phones like iphones etc. Those iphones have foam pads on the connector of the lcd. The fairphone 4 has got a ‘stickerisch’ pad on the lcd itself. So, I was thinking…when I knock on the back of the phone the ghost inputs stop. This is a hardware issue. So this evening I used an extra foam pad…it’s kinda a cushion foam sticker that I put on the existing foam pad of the Fairphone 4. So the ldc connector will be pressed down a little more into the connector. I will keep you guys posted on how this fix will work in the future.

Summary: I really think this is a hardware issue. Once you reconnect the lcd-connector the ghost inputs are gone for some time. Keep in mind that those connectors aren’t designed to re-attach all of the time, so when you perform a disconnect of the lcd connector, the connector will be wearing out a little because the connector is quite fragile. In my opinion this is the answer to those experiencing the ghost inputs more frequent after re-attaching the lcd-connector of the screen. To be honest I find the foam sticker of the Fairphone 4 quite thin. So the pressure of the lcd-connector in the main-board is not enough (I guess). Daily use of the phone like dropping it on the table and so on will impact this connector. Therefore it is important that this lcd-connector is pushed down harder in the mainboard of the phone. Iphones have a metallic plate on this lcd-connector that keeps this connector in place very tight. So therefore I decided to use an extra foam/cushion sticker which will generate ‘subtile’ pressure between the lcd and the connector of the lcd. I will keep you guys informed. Thx

19 Likes

I have to backup Dajo’s opinion about the apparent severity of this issue for the company Fairphone. I received an exchange phone some weeks ago. And was hoping to be rid of the ghost touches. Today the new phone showed ghost touch the first time. That really means Fairphone didnt find the root cause yet (I assume they would have sent me a phone which had fixed the issue in case they knew the root cause).
I dont know yet what I will do now.

3 Likes

I am fairly certain this is a software issue. When I initially purchased the phone, I installed Ubuntu Touch and screen sensitivity and ghost touches were not an issue. A couple weeks later I reverted to the Android ROM and immediately began experiencing ghost touches and an extremely sensitive screen.

1 Like

I had the same problem. In contact with support I ran through a list of tests by dailing *#*#2886#*#*. You will get a menu for testing all modules.
Since then all screen problems and sound problems are gone! I don’t understand why but it’s good now and I am happy.
Good luck to you all
Peter

3 Likes

Thx for this selftest for the Fairphone 4.

Did you test all items or did you only test the screen?

Kind regards,

Hans.

I have tested the audio and screen and fingerprint

I have re-attached the screen. But ghost touches occur still.
But since I have done the following thing, it occurs only very rarely. Please try it:
Go to Settings - System - Languages and Input - enlarged - Pointer Indicator Speed (On german: Zeigergeschwindigkeit) and here: completely to the left.

Explanation: What is pointer speed? Pointer speed refers to the sensitivity of the screen when you touch it and perform various activities with your fingers .
I think: This sounds like the the solution
Greetings

3 Likes

…and one more affected customer, just for the record :frowning:

Please try it:
Go to Settings - System - Languages and Input - enlarged - Pointer Indicator Speed (On german: Zeigergeschwindigkeit) and here: completely to the left.
I never had ghosttouches, since I have done this

1 Like

I’m a different affected user and your fix did not solve the problem for me, though it made the ghost inputs a little less “violent”. It also went away for me after re-attaching the screenbut came back after a while. One thing I noticed is that the problem is more likely to occur after keeping my phone in my trouser’s pockets.

I still don’t have experienced any ghost inputs after my attachement of a more thicker connection-sticker of the display connector. Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Tried this and it helped a bit. But the issue is still there, just a bit less frequently.

Tried this as well but unfortunately it didn’t help.

It would be interesting if they reoccur if you reset the setting. The pointer speed setting has nothing to do with touch screen sensitivity and should just affect the speed of the shown pointer when you attach a mouse or a dock with a touchpad to your phone.

@Hans_de_Vries would you mind giving some details on what exactly you tried? Did you stick some pad to the back of the display connector? If so, how thick was the pad you used?

2 Likes

I’ve experienced the ghost inputs too, it’s like something is swiping across the screen. This always happens near my inductive stove when cooking, so I’m guessing some electromagnetic fields are causing them in my case.

1 Like

I also have ghost touches on my FP4. I had similar issues on my FP2 and hoped to get rid of them since it has been designed more sturdy. I am disappointed that Faiphone could not manage to get better at this. Like on my FP2, it helps to bend the phone a little. I guess this supports the thesis that the connector to the screen is not tightly enough connected.