🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Generic battery to replace FP1 battery (⚠️see first post for warning)

Okay, all kidding aside: everyone should keep in mind that slightly thicker batteries as part of a DIY-solution may bare the small risk that expansion creates problems. Within a plastic body, this is may deform the body itself, but I am not so sure how the back cover of FP1, although being from metal and detachable, would behave.

I’m pretty sure the metal back cover would simply pop off, as it has with the bloated batteries before.

2 Likes

Thank you for the testing and advice. I can confirm that the Akku Huawei wie HB5N1H 1800mAh is working fine - cost 10 .- €, the community is a greater help than the Fairphone Company :wink:

5 Likes

I have searched for this battery on Amazon.de and found it.
Yet I did opt for another one and not for the cheapest one. When I checked the description I choose one that at least mentions a protection against overloading or overheating (at 12,99 €):

The description of the vhbw battery at 8,99 € does not mention any such feature.

I have not checked the temperature readings, if they are working with my battery, but will do so soon (haven’t the phone on me right now).
But maybe there is no difference between those batteries and it’s just the advertising.

p.s. just forgot:
There is a “24 month replacement warranty for Akku-King rechargeable battery in case of defect!”. Of course that’s void, when using it in a FP1, but it shows at least some trust of the seller in the product. :wink:

5 Likes

by way of feedback, i got this 1500mAh version for all of 6 euro. had to do some fitting along the lines described above, after a few days seems to work fine, as in on a par with the original before it bloated:
https://www.ebay.de/sch/sis.html?_itemId=null&_nkw=ORIGINAL+HUAWEI+HB5N1H+AKKU+Ascend+G300+G312+G330+U8815+U8818U8730+T8288+HB5N1&_trksid=p2047675.m4100.l9146

i guess someone could sticky this thread, or even better just post a sticky with viable solutions in the forum.
thanks to everyone that helped!

I’m just installing this battery this battery on my community FP.

It is a 1500 mAh battery found on the French FNAC website for 7,82€ including shipping. It arrived at 60% of charge this morning. I ordered it on monday 31 Jully, we are Wednesday 4 August.

The temper is said to be at 21 ° but in the room it is already upper.

A piece of cardboard is used at the bottom of the battery in the empty space.

Now the back cover fits well. It a long time since it didn’t fit anymore with my bloating battery.

I have no idea of any protection inside. I hope it is protected against overcharge. My phone is plugged most of the time as a wifi bridge for my computer.

Thanks @Stefan and @Micha2017 for the tricks.

More info latter.

4 Likes

I have ordered and fitted the vhbw battery shown by @Stefan above from this website on 31 July and it arrived (in Ireland) today 8 August: https://electropapa.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/11158/s/li-ion-akku-1800mah-3-7v-f-r-handy-smartphone-telefon-wie-hb5n1/?___from_store=de I found that the easiest filler I could produce was from a Stadler rasoplast eraser 526 B30 (https://www.staedtler.co.uk/en/products/pencils-accessories/erasers/rasoplast-526-b-eraser/) - easily cut to size. The battery came with 61% charge. Nothing very informative in this post! But I did wish to thank @Stefan @HermannMeuth and everyone else in this thread for your great help. Will let you know if there are any interesting developments.

6 Likes

Just wanted to share some experience with my Akku-King battery.

I have used it for some time now, sometimes wlan and bluetooth switched on all the time, somtimes just using the phone for the occasional call and for playing music. And I have just one sim-card installed.

When turning on all connections. the battery lasts about a day; when the phone is being in standby most of the time, the battery lasts longer than three days.

So the batterie should easyly last a working day and can be recharged over night.

Temperature control on the other hand must either be working fine or the measurement is not working at all, which is what I guess.
All the time the temperature is said to be 22-24 °C, which to me seems pretty unrealistic, even if the battery at no time felt hot or even warm.

It seems that the temperature measurement of those Huawei batteries is not compatible to Fairphone, as nearly all batteries in this thread report hardly any change in temperature. The only exception seems to be the original Huawei @Micha2017 has, although not the one @FrViPofm has installed.

Well, I just hope, that the protection against overcharging, overheating and short-circuit are working.

3 Likes

Samsung battery with working temperature sensor:

http://www.ppppiero.it/blog/a-new-battery-for-your-fairphone-1-howto/

2 Likes

Ich habe mir diesen Akku Huawei HB5N1H zugelegt und vorerst tut er es. Sogar besser als das neue Shiftphone 4.2., das ich gekauft und wieder zurückgeschickt habe, weil der Akku darin keinen Tag durchhält, obwohl auf dem alten Fairphone viel mehr Kram drauf ist.

Es ist wirklich zu ärgerlich, dass am Ende der Akku das schwächste Glied war und wir unsere Geräte deswegen kaum noch oder gar nicht verwenden können.

Es wäre natürlich super, fänden wir noch einen Hersteller, von dem der Akku auch in den Abmessungen passt. Kann Fairphone dafür nicht eine Kooperation mit einem anderen Unternehmen eingehen?

3 Likes

Ich hab jetzt den Akku von AkkuKing (🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Generic battery to replace FP1 battery (⚠️see first post for warning) - #52) für meine Mutter besorgt. Die ersten Tage sind sehr vielversprechend. Bis jetzt geht alles. Ich hoffe das bleibt so :slight_smile:

oh, sehr fein! danke für die info :slight_smile:

bekommt man den in wien wo vor ort? (bin zufällig gerade vor ort)

I recognise that the Huawei battery easily slips sidely when the phone is pushed a bit. The battery than looses contact, the phone looses power and it shuts down.
Don´t you think a frame would be handy which fits into the battery compartment and holds the battery in correct position? Maybe as a file for 3D printers?

1 Like

It would be nice if this generic battery solution developed into an approved alternative, with associated installation guidance. Many users may be wary, when reading the warnings, and difficulties that some have had.

Batteries can be dangerous and approving a battery makes Fairphone responsible in case things go wrong, so approval would need a long process of testing batteries with the FP1. I don’t think this is going to happen, so for now we’ll have to work with ‘unapproved’ batteries.

4 Likes

So @Stefan, could you provide the community with the details of the suppliers that have provided the batteries for the FP1(U)? These suppliers could then be asked to provide a list of the same but FP1(U) compatible batteries with different brandnames that are still sold on the market and by whom. That would make the search for compatible battery.

I think all information known has been collected here:

2 Likes

I don’t work at Fairphone, so I don’t have any more information than the one that has been collected in the post that @urs_lesse linked to.

Hello,
I have been using the original Huawei battery for a month now. It still works without problems. For the installation I imitated it @Stefan and used a cable binding. The height is optimal and the battery fits well in the top. It does not slip.
With this solution I am happy.

10 Likes

Somewhere the past two days this product has gone out of stock as well :cry:

https://electropapa.com/de/li-ion-akku-1800mah-3-7v-fuer-handy-smartphone-telefon-wie-hb5n1

I think I’ll be ordering this Akku-King battery @BertG mentioned: https://www.amazon.de/Akku-King-Huawei-Ascend-U8812D-Phoenix/dp/B00BPG42EI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501660045&sr=8-2&keywords=HB5N1H

EDIT: I just figured that VHBW is also selling directly on Amazon.de, so I ordered the same battery (at least, that’s what I’m hoping) :slight_smile: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00NA09DTG/

1 Like