Type - Cat. 13
MIMO - 4x2
2CA Carrier Aggregation
VoLTE + VoWiFi
Bands - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 20, 26
Digital Image Stabilization
Max download speed 450Mbps
Max upload speed 75Mbps

Just under the picture tab on ‘Tech specs’.

3 Likes

Well, no 5G. Sad prospect for something that should last several years :\

2 Likes

Thanks, Lidwin. Like I said, I looked at the specs. The necessary LTE bands are there. But I don’t know what else is required. Verizon can be finicky.

Pretty decent specs and design, IMHO. So let’s see if they can finally deliver on the stability / reliability side. Only time will tell.
Specs are pretty much identical to a Moto G7 which is a 200 € phone. So the premium you pay for fairness and longevity is unfortunately much higher than it was on the FP2.
What I couldn’t find: Can both SIM cards be on 4G simultaneously? With more and more 2G (and soon 3G) networks getting shut down this is rather critical.

[edit]
Qualcomm mentions “LTE Dual SIM Dual Standby” and “Dual SIM Dual VoLTE”, so I guess this means yes.
[/edit]

1 Like

The design-changes really should deliver in this regard. More screws, smaller modules, less “twisty” or more rigid phone. No more disassembling without tools, obviously, less “showing off” :wink:

6 Likes

My order needed some time before I got a mail and needed even longer before it was displayed in my account. However, I payed with PayPal. Maybe you should check again in one or two hours.

The delays in mail reaction might be caused by a really high demand.
I just saw in the shop, that the shipping date changed from “mid-September” to late-Septemberearly-October”.
Seems they are selling the phone pretty fast and many people have been waiting for the next Fairphone.
As the FAQ still state, that shipping starts mid-September, I would guess the later date is caused by the number of orders already placed. :grin:

5 Likes

Why is there no wireless charging?

1 Like

Based on the press conference - the question there was regarding Sailfish OS, but I just interpret it now more general - other OS versions are on the roadmap.

3 Likes

My - really specualtive - guess would be two reasons:

1. Wireless charging is way less efficient than wired charging, therefore being less sustainable and environmental friendly.
  2. There always is compromise if the budget / price is not to exceed a certain limit. There will always be something being missed by one or the other user. To satisfy all needs would have meant a high-end phone; and that would have sacrificed the needs of those users, that can’t pay any price. So, no wireless charging, and no 5G.
9 Likes

What do you think you need 5G for? Can you specify use-cases? Here in The Netherlands 5G isn’t even rolled out yet, and I doubt it will in 2020.

1. It takes (valuable) space on the phone.

2. It is energy-inefficient (and gets very hot).

3. USB-C with QC3 allows quick and slow charging, and USB-C connector is more difficult to break than microUSB.

5 Likes

Many thanks for your “two reasons” .

Ahh, I was hoping to replace my struggling FP1U with a FP3, but I just don’t like the trend for bigger and bigger phones. 158x72mm is way too cumbersome for me. Oh well, I’m still a BIG (haha!) fan of the Fairphone project, so I’ll be watching from the sidelines :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you for your answer, especially No. 3 …that was the reason for me to ask why not.

Are you sure? I’d be great if that’s the case, but I interpret this table as any of these protocols can be supported, including simple, old USB 2.0: Wikipedia: Table showing various protocols supported by USB-C

1 Like

Doesn’t seem that spectacular. I’m keeping my FP2 for now (and hope that the bottom module doesn’t keep failing, I’m now on my third …)
I was hoping for a 5G Fairphone, when can we expect that?
Even better would be a Fairphone where components can be replaced to keep it updated to the latest standards without needing a whole new one. That’s “modular design” to me. Would that be too difficult?

1 Like

Indeed. But unfortunately this still is a feature mostly found in higher-end phones.
(The environmental argument is weak. Yes, it is less efficient. But even when adding up all the energy “wasted” by wireless charging for the phone’s entire lifespan, this is irrelevant compared to e. g. the energy required to manufacture and ship it.)

Regarding 5G: There are very few 5G phones out there and they all are >1000 €. So expecting a 5G FP3 seems rather unrealistic to me.

3 Likes

FWIW, I got one recent experience with wireless charging, and it is with Hyphen earphones. Not at all impressed (neither with the earphones but that’s a different story). You gotta place the thing on the right spot, it gets very warm (and they warn for magnetic danger by putting something too close to it), and it goes slooowwww. The wireless charging pad and the case itself both utilize microUSB so connectivity wise I save nothing (except if I use a magnetic cable). For my toothbrush, OTOH, it works fantastic. It is always on the right (natural) spot, I only need to charge my toothbrush once every 2 weeks or so, and it is always full anyway.

1 Like

Hi, I just read that FP3 has been released. When FP1 came to life I ordered one, immediately; the same for the fP2. Now, I don’t now. Anyone who has the same ‘indecisive’ sentiments? Cheers, Sven

1 Like

Yes, here.
My Girlfriend bought the FP1 as her first Smartphone.
And it was more or less OK.
I bought the FP2 and it is working. Not good. At the edge of not throwing it away.
Now the FP3 is released and it is big. Damn!
To big for me.
With the experiences of the first two FP’s and the dimension of the FP3, I will not buy this phone.

1 Like