Front facing 3+ camera colour cast

Thanks for the reply, @BertG. The photos were taken with identical camera settings and didn’t use the flash. Even when viewing the the photo on the screen it didn’t look right. :frowning:

2 Likes

I had read one of the reviews of the new cameras which observed exactly the same problem, with the front camera as well. I can’t find which one anymore though (I will try to look for it when I have time). I don’t think you’re the only one in any case.

2 Likes

You are right of course, that this doesn’t look correct.
Still I would like to know the source of light, as that could have an effect.
I have no idea, if the rear camera with the quad-pixel technology, that is advertised to enhance low light performance, could be the reason for the better performance, but I wouldn’t exclude it.
Do all the pictures taken with the front camera show that blueish colour?
If pictures taken at daylight are like that, it is clear, that there has to be something wrong.
In another thread on comparing old and new cameras, that you know as well, users said, that the front camera is much more of an improvement, than the rear camera. Given that, i would contact support, if the colour is distorted in all pictures. You should get a new one.

Edit:
I must have overlooked the posting that @Alex.A is referring to.
I wonder, if that problem is occuring only with upgrades of FP3 or if it happens with FP3+ as well, that come installed with the new modules. Should it happen on FP3 only, the problem might be with the phone rather than the camera. Just guesswork of course.

2 Likes

Doing a guesswork as well, I think the greenish colour might come from a defect with some modules, and the person who reviewed the modules might have had a defective one, because I have seen no other review nor user mentioning this (as @BertG rightfully pointed out).
Some further investigation and further tests with other modules would be welcome to understand.
Contacting support may be an idea as well, indeed.

2 Likes

Thanks @BertG and @Alex.A. The sample photos were taken at night with white LED ceiling lights.

I tried photos quickly in the day and I couldn’t see any obvious cast. I didn’t have much time though so I’ll try again tomorrow.

4 Likes

I have exactly the same on my selfie cam. Green tint under direct LED or even halogen lighting. None of the white balance settings are quite right in this situation.

5 Likes

Regret to confirm the same. Greenish tint. Perhaps less so when there is a wider colour range in the scene.

The burning sun in the first photo is from conventional halogen spots, the other light shining through the stairs is from LED (those are actually pictured in photo 3, on the left of that shot).

6 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation @jarvis and @urs_lesse. I raised it with Support and I’ll let you know what they say.

7 Likes

LED as well as halogen wouldn’t make for green pictures, but rather blue ones, so there definitely is something wrong here.
Everyone should report it.
Maybe the software they are working on is covering this problem as well, as I guess/hope, this can be fixed softwarewise.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

6 Likes

I received the FP3+ on Monday and I have just noticed that I had the same problem… I also hope this can be solved without having to change any part.

3 Likes

I have the same problem with a brand new FP3+.

1 Like

Exact same problem here with FP3 and both new +modules. My workaround is to use the Nikita GCam port and activate the “Google AWB” funktion. Then all colors turn out fine as they get automatically corrected.

7 Likes

Same problem here as well, and indeed Nikita’s Google camera port fixes it with Google’s auto white balance set on in the settings.

@BertG do you really think we all should contact support? As I’ve found this workaround, I wouldn’t think it’s worth it (as well as with other issues which have a workaround like the muted microphone that can be reset with a reboot), especially knowing the support is overwhelmed since Android 10 Update and FP3+ release, and they’re working on software updates anyway…

3 Likes

True of course.

On the other hand, they do need to know how big or widespread the problem is and if maybe just a certain batch is affected. For that they would need numbers and reports as accurat as possible.

A workaround is always good to have and I really love this community and it’s inventiveness.
It’s absolutely perfect for the techie and the enthusiastic community.
Still, for the mass market, that’s not gonna work (at least in the long run).
As quite a few threads by now show, there are more frustrated users out there, than can be considered desirable. Most likely for deciding how to react, Fairphone will need to know the severity of the problem. Once it affects a certain percentage of users, they might want to address them by mail with an apology, a status report and a hint to the workaround.

Well, at least that’s what I thought, when I asked everyone to report the troubles.

3 Likes

Instead of contacting support I’ve added this bug to the List of bugs with Android 10.
Does Fairphone team know about it? If not, maybe @formerFP.Com.Manager could transmit it to the dev team…
BTW could we make a poll of this list (while still being an editable wiki?) to show the extent of who has which problem to the dev team? I can’t put the suggestion in said topic as it is closed…

1 Like

I noticed this problem as well when I installed the front camera, then removed and reinstalled it and finally gave up - using Googles AWB (= Auto White Balance) instead. I wasn’t sure if this was normal behaviour with artificial light conditions, so I didn’t add it to the bugs list back the - but the comparison with the rear cam shows it’s indeed a bug. Having to use the sideloaded GCam can’t be considered as a workaround, in my opinion. And as GCam has the same problem if you don’t turn on AWB, I guess it’s a hardware rather than a software issue. :frowning:

Does Fairphone team know about it?

I raised it with support on 15th Oct. It’s been ignored so far.

I wouldn’t consider this a hardware issue solely based on this. In fact, if it was a hardware issue, I think it would probably affect all photos, not just the ones with artificial light… But this all guess here, I’m no expert, maybe I’m wrong…

EDIT: On another hand, it appears in all 3 photo apps I have (Standard camera app, Nikita’s Gcam & Open Camera). So it might indeed be hardware related…

4 Likes

I guess it your mail has not been answered. Though this definitely should have happened, it doesn’t have to mean, that they ignored your hint.

To make sure, that edits to the bug-report wiki will reach Fairphone, I have invited/linked the forum-representative Rae to this wiki.

1 Like

Hi @pcm, I have shared this issue internally. Thanks for flagging it. I will loop back as soon as I have an update.

9 Likes