FrameWork laptop launch - repairable, upgradable - New stuff for 2023 too

On the DIY option there is a no OS one

There is an option to download Windows

3 Likes

Then again I can only choose DYI and not for the ā€˜normalā€™ one.

2 Likes

Yes but the DIY is not 100 small pieces itā€™s the laptop with just a few options.

You may like to see

3 Likes

If this is a small company, they probably do not have the resources to develop and maintain two UEFI BIOSā€™s; one with, and the other one without a Windows product key built-in. The advantage of the built-in key is that the user does not have to (re)enter that key during (re)installation, and therefore OS licenses might not get mixedā€¦

I donā€™t like Windows pre-installed either. For me, Windows is for gaming (and even then I prefer Linux with AMD). Its still a bitch to get a proper dev environment with Unix utilities on it (I know WSL, I already used Cygwin more than 20 years ago same shit it ainā€™t Unix).

But since Iā€™d have to pay import tax anyway i would go for DIY and order the rest local or use what I got lying around.

Nothing is perfect. The rest if the reviews are positive. Linus Sebastian invested in the company. Its comprised of people who used to work at e.g. Apple and got fed up with lack if repairability. Even negative nanny Louis Rossman is positive about it.

3 Likes

Adding RAM and memory, a wifi board (if you want wifi) not much of a DIY :slight_smile:

and no Windows

Waiting for a EU/UK shipment

You gotta order the CPU with it and the modules (in my case 2x USB-C, 1X USB-A, 1X HDMI, 1X DP). I would use NVMe I got lying around and I guess buy 1x 32 GB RAM local. WLAN for 19 USD is hard to beat. I ended up with 1300 USD with mid tier CPU, without VAT and S&H (I est. more than 1400 EUR). And then you got an Intel 11k series with the new nm processors being 12k. I would rather just buy AMD, or go ARM, or wait till my current MBPs die.

Also I actually do not necessarily need WLAN. I am cool with ethernet or USB. Come to think of it I would perhaps not buy WLAN or maybe just disable it.

Iā€™m curious how good the trackpad is on Linux. The only good trackad I ever used has been on macOS and Apple hardware.

Thatā€™s bit of an issue, so Iā€™ve read, my only real gripe is not having a touch screen, but like Fairphone I canā€™t have it all.

I have posted ā€˜thereā€™ about the Frame.work not being Fairtrade :slight_smile:

Maybe they can bother with fair trade in a future iteration. A first iteration of a product which is released always has quirks, but it also has such upsides that it fills a niche

This product fills a niche I care about. ThinkPads and MB(A/P) have become much less repairable. This device shows us (and more than just us readers on this forum) it is possible to design a device which is thin and repairable. Its a big middle finger to people like Jony Ive who got us to this situation as trendsetter.

I watched the Rossmann video

Rossmann likes the product, and the principles behind it. For example the screen bezel being magnetic, the QR codes on the components (even though he does not read manuals; ā€˜only schematicsā€™), reserve screws, being able to use same screwdriver and only two types of screws. He likes the peripheral modules and also that they do not strain the mainboard, keyboard being easily replaceable, and components being easily replaceable. He likes the keyboard overall but he is too fond of ThinkPad specific things such as Trackpoint (Iā€™ve been there I loved the Trackpoint but I never liked the Trackpad; Appleā€™s are flat out best, on macOS), liquid damage protection. He also noted the expensive models only yield 10% more performance than the cheapest which he argues is not worth the price compared to cheapest. That is an Intel specific quirk tho. He also noted lack of GPU options.

Overall a much better unboxing than LTT but I am not much of a fan of LTT (tho really cool he invests in frame.work). Also, Linus did game on it, and he noted its (my interpretation from memory) OK for casual gaming on 1080p. That also means its OK for remote gaming on 1080p (Stadia, Parsec, Steam, etc).

Note Rossmann only tested the device boots into BIOS. He did not bother using Windows as no OS was installed (he had to assemble everything which was part of the videoā€™s purpose) or even booting a Linux live image via USB.

I have no interest running Windows on this machine as main OS. So I am interested in how well recent Linux distribution runs on it. For example how good is the trackpad going to be compared to the gold standard of Apple/macOS? If anyone has a decent review of the device with Linux being ran I am interested in such.

3 Likes

Not a user review, but did you read this:

1 Like

So regarding Ubuntu (what Iā€™d probably install on it), LTS does not work with WLAN, 21.04 works. Deep sleep issues though, ugh. Also, not yet convinced about the trackpad, given:

" For me, I lose all my trackpad settings when waking from sleep.

cursor speed changed
    tap to click is enabled (I disable it, because I canā€™t stand that feature on any touchpad as I always accidentally activate itā€¦ like my hands are super capacitive or something)
    I canā€™t scroll with the touchpad in any direction

A reboot fixes the touchpad, but Iā€™d prefer not to have to do that

I just had this issue as well. It took having to reboot and/or turn off and turn on the laptop for the settings to save and for the changes in the Mouse and trackpads settings menu to take effect.

@NullVoxPopuli The touchpad seems extremely sensitive, which, depending on preferences, can be a good or a bad thing. Since I also donā€™t like t2c on, I agree it does hinder me."

1 Like

Iā€™m tempted to get a Windows and dual boot, but thereā€™s going to be a while before itā€™s even available on this side of the Atlantic, so maybe thereā€™ll be a perfect Linux option by then.

I really donā€™t want dual bootā€¦ then I would just remote desktop into a Linux machine with HVM. But a strong machine isnā€™t even needed for that, you can use some oldie from 5 years ago easily.

Good point on it going to take a while till its available here. They get no Fairphone though. Meanwhile, they can beta test Frame.Work for us :wink: (Ubuntu 21.10 should be out Soon ā„¢).

1 Like

OK ā€˜Pre-ordersā€™ are now up for France, Germany and the UK

2 Likes

Double lost :wink: (well only half-lost for @JeroenH)
Quite surprised by how fast they were to bring it to Europe.

1 Like

Just tried to order but still in dollars and with US keyboard, and no orange bezel.

Will email them for update

1 Like

There was a hidden option to change language :blush:

Note the price is the same in dollars as UK sterling $999 or Ā£999 for the basic ?? Didnā€™t try the ā‚¬

OK Gone for the middle one with

Framework Laptop

Configuration

• CPU: IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-1165G7

Customisation

• Keyboard: British English

Expansion Cards

• 1 MicroSD

• 1 Storage ā€“ 250GB

• 1 USB-A

• 4 USB-C

accessories

• Power Adapter

• Framework Screwdriver

Ā£1497

Expected February

My last PC was a Raspberry Pi4 using an old TV > had to buy a mouse and keyboard all for Ā£100+

OK thatā€™s it until the FP5 or 6

UPDATE:

And the warranty:

Framework warrants that Framework branded products, parts, and modules (ā€œProductā€) when used in accordance with Framework documentation and guidance, are and will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of delivery of the Product (the ā€œWarranty Periodā€). However, if you purchase the Product for delivery to the UK, EU or EFTA, the Warranty Period shall be two (2) years.

4 Likes

While I could ship to at least Germany, I want either ANSI US or ISO US layout, so Iā€™ll have to wait. But Iā€™m also unhappy with Intel CPU (maybe not Alder Lake). I rather have ARM or AMD. Iā€™d still probably order it because its the best available and Iā€™m in the market for a new, repairable laptop. That theyā€™d do 1:1 on GBP and EUR was to be expected.

Why?
And itā€™s actually even more than 1:1, the extension bays are 9 or 19$ in the US, but 10 or 20ā‚¬ in Europe.

1 Like