šŸ‡«šŸ‡· šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ Fp2 - Open OS 17.06.4 - "reboot intempestifs" - "untimely reboot"

Hello @Gerry
I have nā€™t found an App who can gives me informations about the temperature also for CPU and Ram and Battery.
I saw that inside ā€œKernel Adiutorā€, we can build our own test. I donā€™t know what code input there who can show me the sensors level. If someone knows, tell me please, iā€™am curious to try it.
At my look, there is nothing different about the temperature, maybe finish to use an App, change cold a little more fast.

1 Like

Hi @Gerry

I found an App ā€œCpu gaugeā€.

without any App whoā€™s running.
CPU temperature is between 49Ā°C to 51Ā°C
CPU usage is between 11% to 31%

with many App who are running.
CPU temperature is between 54Ā°C to 73Ā°C at the max level.
CPU usage is between 29% to 85%

1 Like

Many thanks for performing the tests and posting the results. I do not have a Fairphone 2 at hand right now to compare, but 73 Ā°C are indeed very hot! :astonished: Some people already reported throttling issues in 17.06.4 (Open), e.g. while watching a Youtube video.

Maybe Fairphone should have a look into that, and reduce CPU frequency when under pressureā€¦

I apologize, i mistake about the name of the App i use to know the temperature and usage of the processor.
App is Cpu Temperature
Best regard.

2 Likes

Hi,

I updated to OS 17.06.4 yesterday, too and experienced the same troublesā€¦ extremly hot cpu and after a certain point of temperature my FP2 rebooted. Unfortunately many times during the day within different situations (making phonecalls, looking at pics, browsingā€¦)

I installed three apps:

• Kernel Adiutor (for setting the max cpu frequency lower in order to decrease the temperature)
  • CPU temperature (to watch the cpu temperature)
  • Super Cooler (for finding apps that heat up the cpu)

Thanks to @Lintianfu for the tips.:+1:

Unfortunately there was no big changeā€¦ sometimes the cpu heats up to 86 degrees and - of course - reboots then. :worried:

Even/because I reduced the cpu to 1.500 MHz, it is mostly running above 85 percent (with only one or two apps openedā€¦)

Hmmmā€¦ anyone a hint what to do?

Preformatted text

2 Likes

That is weird! :astonished:

I thought lower CPU frequency would produce less heat. Obviously I was wrongā€¦

1 Like

Yup, that was my thought, too. :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Still in test, i want try to minimize by reducing CPU maximum frequency, from 1958 MHz to 1728MHz.
Original CPU frequancy was 2265 MHz.
I try by playing a game while 30 minutes, i know that the games are relatively greedy in memory and load CPU.
I had noticed that the temperature of the processor could achieve 78Ā°C !!

Some CPU for computer also can have very hot temperature, more than 95Ā°C. But first, they are rare, and also get easy broken. Electronic parts does like high temperature, that is sure.

I have nā€™t try for which level of frequency the CPU stand with confortable temperature.
You think, or mean that whatever is the frequency we can choice, temperature will stand high ?

When I make a backup in TWRP (encrypted phone), the temperature rapidly rises to values high in the 80sĀ°, nearly 90Ā° C. When the backup is finished, it decreases just as rapidly.
So a demanding game pushing the CPU to 78Ā° C doesnā€™t sound problematic to me.

This cannot be ā€œhealthyā€ for any CPU. :neutral_face:

@AnotherElk , have you experienced any random reboots in regard with such high CPU temperatures?

That is sure?? Well, let us remove every air condition in datacenters and wait a whileā€¦ :wink:

Never (knocking on wood).

1 Like

I return to announce you my feels having reduced the load of the CPU.
1 : the reduction of the load CPU, influences only little the temperature of the processor.
2 : I am surprised seeing so much gap from behavior between our processors. Some reboot inconveniently, others warm more than some. Why? Processors are not the same type or manufacturing?
3 : FP2 becomes soft of knees by lowering the cadence of two level. Latencies are noticed.
4 : I have sudden no inconvenient restart since the reduction of load CPU.

So maybe reduce a little the CPU charge is temporary a way to escape the reboot. I just wish that the FP2 team found the right way to solve that.

There are at least 2 variants, it is discussed in the thread you visited already.
From the poll there it looks like the AA variant is more likely to give you trouble than the AB variant. But then again not many people out of the many Fairphone 2 users out there voted in the poll, and I as well as some others have the AA variant and no trouble at all, so it is not a very scientific way to say anything based on that :slight_smile: ā€¦

1 Like

Salut !
Jā€™avais le mĆŖme soucis depuis presque 1 an sous FP OS et FP Open OS sous Android 5. La semaine derniĆØre, Ć  lā€™occasion de la sortie dā€™Android 6 sous Open OS jā€™ai fait un factory reset, un wipe de toutes les partitions, une rĆ©install propre de la 16.04 et enfin la maj OTA de la 16.06.4 via TWRP et lĆ ā€¦ miracle ! plus un seul random reboot ! jā€™ai lā€™impression de revivre :smiley:
Jā€™ai fait des tests avec des appli gourmandes / GPS : le tel chauffe mais ne reboot pas. Jā€™ai aussi installĆ©s des tweaks via XPosed, des appli avec accĆØs root, etcā€¦ et tout va bien ! Jā€™ai Ć©galement lā€™impression que lā€™accroche GPS est bien meilleure quā€™avant, bref le passage sous Android 6 Ć  rĆ©solu tous mes problĆØmes !
Ce topic peut Ć©galement tā€™intĆ©resser si tu ne lā€™a pas dĆ©jĆ  vu : [Bug] āœ Upgrade to FP Open 17.06.4 renders phone useless (freezes once booted and reboots itself)
A+

PS : Pour info jā€™ai pas touchĆ© Ć  la frĆ©quence du proc, et jā€™ai une version AA

1 Like

Salut,

Chez moi les random reboots venaient de la coque slim avec laquelle jā€™ai reƧu le FP2.
Le SAV mā€™a envoyĆ© une coque regular et depuis tout va bienā€¦

Bonjour Pierre,
et les autres,
Merci pour lā€™info. Je nā€™ai pas refait les partitions, mais jā€™ai installĆ© la ā€œFP2-userdebug 6.0.1 - fp2-sibon-17.06.4ā€ en passant par les bouton ā€œson hautā€ et " power" au dĆ©marrage, et installĆ© depuis la carte SD.
Je pensais que cela suffisaitā€¦ Ć  la lecture de tes infos, non.

FP2 - Andoid 6.0.1 - sibon-17.07.6
Processeur Qualcomm MSM8974PRO-AA

I upgrade the OS system, thinking that it will change the problem of intempestiv rebootā€¦It did nā€™t, yet i have more reboot than beforeā€¦ I try to adapt the CPU charge less, but it it sameā€¦ Does exist a way to solve that problem deffinitly??? I begin to upset with that phone and begin to regret my old Huaweiā€¦

17.08.1 is coming :wink: ā€¦ Not that I believe this would change anything.
You could still try LineageOS (based on Android 7) and Open GApps if you need Google Apps ā€¦ and see whether Android 7 does better.

Or you could contact support. Random reboots with a supported OS which donā€™t go away with any measure might be a warranty case.

1 Like

Hello AnotherElk,
Thank you for your replyā€¦ I read the link about LineageOS, (i donā€™t want google App), but my english is so bad, i donā€™t know how to use the flash indicate in. I wait a new OpenOS with Android 7 insideā€¦ maybe is better for my FP2 :smirk:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.