FP5 without google?

three come immediatly to my mind: PinePhone, Librem5, Volla. So if you really want to, you can get a phone that runs linux without android on top.

Apart from that there are multiple custom roms you can choose from for your fairphone. And Fairphone (the company) works with several custom rom devs, providing them with phone samples and source code to make this easier.

So while Fairphone themselves do not provide a degoogled phone out of the box - which from a business perspective is understandable - they work with the community and other companies - like murena - to provide these options.

Is it perfect? No. Could they do better? Of course. And maybe they should (especially regarding security updates and bug fixes, but these are whole other discussion you can find here on the forums …), Shiftphones comes to mind, who have an exemplary record of working with custom rom devs …

As pointed out often, the “Fair” in Fairphone stands for fair working conditions, like in fair trade. While one could argue that as a customer you wanna be treated fairly (which is always a matter of personal perspective …) this is not what the “Fair” in Fairphone stands for. Which also doesn’t mean that they don’t treat their customers fairly.

For me the perfect phone also doesn’t exist. it’s all about compromises. What is most important for you. I want a phone where I can change batteries and the screen, extend storage, escape the big five, lets me run open source OS, that respects the planet and human rights, and has a big screen and a headphone jack (well …). Fairphone and maybe Shiftphones are the only ones I know of that come close to that.

As for the software, I think we are slowly getting there. In the early days there was only AOSP and the derived lineage. Now there are many choices. Want more privacy, more security, more google, less google? You can find a rom for you. If you speak german look for “kuketz blog custom roms”. This guy has an on-going series where he does in-depth analysis of basically all custom roms you can think of. Although some information is already outdated (e.g. Calyx has addressed all of his criticism), it is a great ressource.

Now with sandboxed google play and sandboxed microg getting traction, I hope and wish some devs made a completely degoogled version of AOSP, using only free services but gives the user the option to install sandboxed gplay or microg. How cool would that be. You could in theory even have multiple profiles, one completely degoogled, one with sandboxed microg, one with sandboxed gplay for everything that doesn’t work without it.

A man can dream …

7 Likes

They have? In which way?

1 Like

Nick from CalyxOS said on the matrix channel that shiftphones work the best with them. They even sign CalyxOS with their keys so that you can have verified boot and not get the “your device is running a modified OS” screen.

5 Likes

ok so 1 system :wink: not saying its not good, still Fariphone has quite strong connections to the community developers, maybe in other ways like collaborating to keep the FP2 alive and bring further Android updates to it after QC stopped support.

Overall I still think people expect too much from Fairphone and they cant make all user happy, as some want a pure Linux system (expecting it will be a minority) many (guessing its still the majority) want Google, some dont want Google and still want to do everything as if they had Google… for me a difficult fight which such a small and still new company cant manage all at once and I think it good to concentrate on one step after the other, else we will fast have no Fairphone at all.

11 Likes

Also, ubuntu touch is fully supported for FP4 and Fairphone actively supports ubuntu touch as you can read here:

https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/device/fp4/

UBports builds this port in collaboration with the phone maker.
Expect long-lasting support since we have an official agreement with the partner.

Soooo … I think the FP4 has one of the best supports for alternative OSes out there, and Fairphone is actively supporting these efforts. What else can you expect?

4 Likes

IodeOS shall come mid of october

A friend of mine has a Fairphone 4 with CalyxOS and a locked bootloader so verified boot and no “your device is running a modified OS”-screen, so that’s definitely possible, while still might be that Shiftphone makes it easier, I don’t know their phones.

curious. I also run CalyxOS on my FP4 and have relocked the boot loadet yet I do get that specific screen. But I installed it back when Calyx was still experimental and the installation was pretty involved, so that could be the reason.

I have the impression that FairPhone is slowly abandoning the free software community.
Initially, a free version of Fairphone OS was available, but only for the first two models.
The work necessary to bring FP4 to mainline is stagnant, at least so it seems from the outside (FP3 never started, only from the community).
Now with FP5 they have preferred a closed source relationship with long deadlines.
It’s been a long time since FairPhone released the sources of its apps, myfairphone app and fairbuds for example are still “secret”.
I don’t think I’m the only one wondering this question, as the FAQ shows.

What do you think? Honestly, this worries me.
They don’t necessarily have to be a company for nerds, but they could continue to incorporate more people interested in ecology, without abandoning those who want to be free.

3 Likes

I don’t agree with you as there is /e/os Murena.

Where is Murena :smiley::sunglasses::smiley:
waiting

I was writing about internal support, free software development on the company. Murena is a external company, that have a collaboration/cooperation with fairphone, but is different from an internal support. See the warranty for example, fairphone os 2 years, murena only 1 year. I don’ tknow if fairphone employees actively develop the murena os, or LineageOS or any other free os like ubuntu or postmarketos.

I think this was discussed many times already in different topics and I personally dont agree as FP has cooperations with e/OS and Iode OS and there are so many dfferent OS including Ubuntu…

Most recent discussion here

Will close and merge.

4 Likes

Why should they? Thats a community effort and still there is cooperation.

And warranty is 5 years now with FP4+5 even when you buy it with murena to my knowledge, where did you read its not?

To repeat myself

2 Likes

On fairphone 2 they have released a aosp free rom, a innovative and foss launcher, a beautiful app called “peace of mind”… actually they permit to install other os, just like sony for example… for me this “permission” is the minimum requirement to buy a phone. But honestly I would expect a better behavior from a fair and European company.
All the fairphone app actually are closed source, not only the google api dependent.

1 Like

Yes they offered a Google free varriant of their system and FPOOS was only used by 5-10% of the user, so they decided to not provide this any more and instead have the cooperation with murena since the FP3.

I consider this a logic decision…

So for me its all said and time to agree to disagree.

2 Likes

4.3.11 Installation of a Third Party Operating System.

But this is not the “problem”, I have only noted that they have changed the approach, and was asking if other have noted this too.

Well you brought up the warranty and to my understanding your statement is not correct for FP4 and FP5 and I think there are rarely any FP3+ still within the 2 years of warranty

1 Like

Actually I also disagree.
I think you’re mixing up things here.
You can buy murena FP5 and get 5 years of extended warranty and you can buy FPOS FP5 and you get 5 years of extended warranty.
You just can’t buy FPOS FP5, install /e/OS and claim the warranty with this changed OS installed. And I think that’s logic as FP can’t support their HW with different OS versions installed.

And AFAIK it has always been the case that there were closed source parts of the OS (mainly the driver/modem parts) and open source parts (the adapted AOSP part). I think that’s the same for FP3, 4 and 5.

I think they currently even stretch a little bit into alternative OS region by selling Murena FP5 on the FP shop page.

…and the noticed that as a small company they can’t afford this development. So they released the sources to give the community the possibility to improve these apps. You can find discussions and reasoning if you read the according old topics on this forum.

2 Likes

AFAIK changing OS doesn’t void the warranty, but you have to go back to stock OS before complaining for bugs/defects… :wink:

3 Likes