FP5 doesnt seem to turn OLED pixels off when displaying a black image/video

… and the longer it takes, the more uncertain I become that it can ever be solved by a software update. Much more… why didn’t the developers notice this at the beginning of the release at least - everyone who uses it notices it immediately, because it doesn’t even take a day :wink:

I would not have ever noticed it most likely, so unless this is a standard test…

@Srootus the subject indicates its related to AoD, is this correct? Else I would like to change it.

While its indeed one of the areas I first noticed it, this issue occures in almost every instance where the oled pixels should turn off. Except for the default android recovery mode, where black pixels actually turn off. So I think renaming the thread is fine, is that something I have to do my end?

I also wouldn’t have noticed it at all if not for this thread.
At least for me, I don’t see it, unless I’m in a pitch black room, with high brightness on my phone, which doesn’t typically happen.

Changed it thanks for confirming

I think it’s related to the launcher. It behaves exactly the same as the Nokia Android One launcher. It also has that glare at the top, both with LCD and Oled. When I open a complete black wallpaper in the gallery there is no issue what so ever, when I set it as wallpaper I have that glare at the top resembling indeed light bleed but it isn’t. It’s like the launcher uses a gradient to allow clear vision of the status bar and stuff. Installing another launcher doesn’t solve this issue however.

Just a little update to say the newest system update with the November security patch does not fix this issue, not that I am suggesting it should as the patch notes do not mention it. I will keep updating my findings on each update

Update, i’ve got an update from the Fairphone team through cusomter support. This is what they had to say:

"Thank you for your input and reaching out. This is indeed something we will look into and I will forward this to our department for further investigation. Thank you for opening a post on our community Forum to discuss and research this with other users!

As soon as I have news on this I will get back to you."

They also apologise about the amount of delays as they are experiencing a large amount of tickets.

Following this I will let you know when I get updates from this ticket when they get news their end.

9 Likes

The tickets they are mentioning are not publicity visible, right?

Thanks for keeping us uptodate :slight_smile:

No, tickets are between you (or me in this case) and their Dev team, however I’m pretty sure they’d be okay with me quoting the important bits

1 Like

Update from Fairphone directly:

"I have heard back from my colleagues regarding your case.

Currently, the experts in our Software Team are investigating the issue and are liaising with the manufacturer to find the quickest possible solution. I appreciate your patience and cooperation so far."

They also ask for more time and state they will immediately contact me directly when an update is available.

15 Likes

Just in case: any update on your ticket from FP?

Fairphone, in case you’re following this thread: please please please get this sorted :slight_smile: My wife and i put the money to the side for 2 fp5s, but this bug is a purchase blocker.

1 Like

Ive got no updates from them on this topic, I’ll give them a gentle nudge maybe next month in case they’ve forgotten

3 Likes

My FP5’s OLED seems to work fine on AOD and most UIs, but I noticed it doesn’t turn off pixels on some (YouTube) videos. I did a side-by-side comparison with my old LG G8s, which also has an OLED display, and it does turn off the darkest pixels. There’s probably a different threshold for LG and FP for which shades are dark enough for turning the pixel off. Imo it should be slightly above absolute black.

Sent a message to support asking if there was any update on my issue, got a reply yesterday assuring me their tech team are still investigating the issue, they stated theyre a small team so these things take time which is fair, they assure me they’ll let me know directly if they have anything, I will do the same here if I get a response from there, thanks all for the patience

8 Likes

I’VE MADE A DISCOVERY! ITS TIED TO THE THE BRIGHTNESS!

When turning the brightness to around 0 to 25ish percent the pixels stay turned off, theyre off on a 000,000,000 RGB image, they stay off on the AOD and they stay off in numerous “Black screen” YouTube videos. While I’m not sure the root cause, this is a step in the right direction! Maybe their parameters move to define black at higher brightness or something I dont know, but THIS IS GREAT NEWS I will let support know immediately

3 Likes

No matter what I try, I keep a kind of lightbleed at the top of the home screen and only in there, nowhere else when using any kind of really dark wallpaper. I observed the same behaviour with Nokia HMD phones. I think that Fairphone uses the same stock launcher as Nokia. No issues in any other screen such as the menu, gallery, messaging app… Fairphone judt said “use another launcher”. There aren’t any decent stock android launcher in the Playstore. Either the are dodgy or they are no longer supported for this android version.

Either I didnt understand the issue or cant confirm (with a beta OS version), so if your public OS version improved it, it seems to be a coincidence

Today, brigthness set to min, completely dark room, FP5 displaying a black picture

Interesting, no screen filter or extra accessibility thing turned on? Looks red-y orange like there’s a blue light filter over it

No, no screen filter in the foil, nor night light enabled or anything else I could think of…

With the video you linked above it seem to be less or at least the FP4 has more issues to take the pic…