[FP5][AndroidAuthority]First look at the Fairphone 5

The security of grapheneOS is built around and dependent on the presence of google’s Titan M chip, which is only available on pixel phones. It is highly unlikely that any phone except pixels will meet this requirement, including FP. So if you want grapheneOS you have to get a pixel phone. And this will probably hold true for the forseeable future.

2 Likes

Externally it looks much like the FP4 and I actually like the design. As already stated the rounded corners of the FP4 screen are a bit annoying because they are too round. At least they seem to have significantly reduced the top and bottom bezels which is great.

The color choices baffle me a bit. Their “fairphone” green has become a bit of a brand color scheme. The earbuds and earbuds xl also are available in that color. And I really like it. I mean black and white are classics you can never go wrong with, but I guess I expected that green is something like their color now. Idk, just strange to see them drop it after it has been established for a line of products.

The headphone jack is never coming back I guess. And I fear it will disappear completly from phones in the near future. Lets hope the specs are more modern that time around. And, as many others, I wish for an oled. Burn-in is a not a concern on modern oleds anymore. Unless you keep the display on 24/7 for years with a white image on full brightness, you’ll probably never experience burn-in.

But for me it all comes down to whether they get their software issues sorted out or not. They really need to get to industry standards in terms of security and bug fixes. I am not even talking about new features. But security updates and bug fixes must be made available in a timely manner. The hardware could be great, the price could be fair, but if they can’t get the software to work properly and can’t get issues fixed, all of that is meaningless. So yea … FP: get your software dev issues sorted out, and then release new hardware.

7 Likes

I did an estimate on size, taking the width of the usb-c slot in the renderings as a measure:
I come to 160,5*75,8mm
Is seems slightly shorter and wider than fairphone 4. The cameras are slightly more towards the center. The radius of the edge rounding got bigger.

Like I said, its my best estimate, but nothing official or confirmed.

6 Likes

It has been stated that some Samsung phones would be eligible for GrapheneOS if not for the fact that Samsung prevents the use of some hardware security features for custom ROMs. So I don’t think the Titan chip specifically is a requirement, but something similar definitely is. I believe newer SoCs have something similar built in.

Another stopper is that FP is consistently 1-2 years behind on feature updates and 1-3 months behind on security updates with no sign of this changing.

1 Like

Did some measurements of the photos and compared them to my phone. Best effort to determine the dimensions, since the phone is a little too wide and thick for my taste.

USB port is about 4mm tall in real life and 21mm on my monitor.
So, that’s then a ratio of 1mm:5,25mm

50mm thick in total in photo
50/5,25=9,5mm thick, so it’s thinner
FP4 is 11mm thick
Now the PF5 with camera bump, the phone is then maybe 11,42mm thick, which is roughly the total thickness of a FP4.

40mm wide in photo, thus 76,19mm in real life, the FP4 is also 76mm wide.

So the phone is likely a bit thinner, if you don’t add the camera bump. With a case protector the phone may still be thinner in total, since the camera bump can be protected by a small extrusion of the case protector, as is the case with the FP4 now.

I think this is still a win. Even though I was hoping for a more practical size.

6 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: :us: Murena Fairphone 4 now available in the US

What if they had kept this triangled camera alignment design to make them being able to be retrofitting the FP4’s modules? I understand the FP5 modules won’t be compatible with the FP4 but what if they do release other, new “FP4+” modules ?

I personally feel tempted by these visuals of the FP5, especially because I really don’t like the teardrop design of the FP4 screen, and these huge borders, which are so outdated nowadays…

So what about making an OLED screen for the FP4 too? I’ve almost broken mine recently (thanks, protective glass!), but since then I have issues of ghost touches, which appear randomly, even after having changed the broken protective glass and dismounted the device. So I think that it would be great to be able to upgrade the screen to make it fresh, especially if we break it.

There is no reason for me to change the inner parts of the phone so I’d love them to make us want to keep our FP4 for a few years longer…

I also love these new blue and black colours, even if I’m skeptical of the transparent one, after all these previous issues with FP2 and FP3 transparent covers… And the fact there is not much to see through, except for the battery. Then, why not making a fully translucent one like the FP2 and FP3 were inside? And what about the fact they’d also need to release a transparent case to protect the phone while keeping it translucent?

And finally, do you think they’d also release new FP4 covers or cases?

2 Likes

Stopping this off topic, chat, but just because other people have issues doesn’t mean I have or am responsible for they way they feel.

To a few of the above, and myself, this topic has gone way of topic, this is about the FP5 not . . . . . . . . :scream:

3 Likes

I’ve created a new topic for the previous off-topic discussion: Why a new FP5 now?

4 Likes

Some benchmarks: Fairphone 5 su Geekbench, ecco le prime specifiche tecniche (in Italian).

8 Likes
15 Likes

Can anyone put the specs into context? From what I read the Snapdragon 782G seems to be located in the upper midrange and was released at the end of last year. I didn’t follow this closely enough for the predecessors, so assuming the FP5 will be released this autumn, is this SoC more or less up to date than in the previous phones at the time of their respective releases?

I think you should follow Indian and US politics and go for a variety of fm radio standards, dab+, fm radio, 5g broadcast to be ready for emergency cases and large sport events.

I also think root permissions, mod support for apps similar to the lsposed framework should be included by default to allow finer control over your phone.

I also think you should go all in and build a firewall and connection analysis and blocking framework into the Rom. With Access to system CAs

Blokada, AdAway, PcapDroid, RethinkDns, Wireguard, SocksProxifier, JustTrustMe and the like are just drops on a hot stone compare to what direct access could do.

2 Likes

Did you already check which phones are already released? I don’t know if the announcement date is also the date it’s released by phone vendors, maybe at that point they can start designing them. Quick DDG only shows devices that soon will be released. So it’s still new.

The specs say it’s 20% faster than the FP4. But I guess software tuning and memory lane speeds matter

2 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Camera quality Fairphone 4

Pst! :face_in_clouds: Check the devices used in the Fairphone’s latest video… as suggested here by @urs_lesse :wink:.

REVEAL "SECRET"

:grin:

11 Likes

Looking for a case for the FP4, @O.o found a site that seems to sell cases for the Fairphone 5. The site also shows some information such as that it will be released in October 2023. However, as @Meaghan points out, this might not be completely reliable.

Specifications about the mobile phone

• Model: Fairphone 5
  • Modelnumber: FP5
  • Introduced: October 2023
  • Screensize: 6.3"
  • Dimensions: 158 x 71.8 x 9.9mm
  • Weight: 189g

Check it out here:

4 Likes

btw, Fairphone is launching an event on 30 August, with pictures of a battery that does resemble the one from leaked images of FP5, https://twitter.com/Fairphone/status/1692083886681907452

6 Likes

Link to the actual 30 August event page:

Adding this because Twitter is no longer viewable for those without a Twitter account.

11 Likes