FP4: The specs and your opinions

How about biting one’s lip. Just stop this going on right now by posting no more to this regard?
Seems a good idea to me. :wink:

And please don’t start picking on this posting, as it’s just a personal proposal from me; no warning, threat, oppression of opinions or what else.

10 Likes

Hi

Whereas this topic is about views on the specs of the FP4, clearly given some people’s disappointment with, for example, the lack of a phone jack, emotive words are used.

I see no problem with using emotive words nor in the user being responded to over the use of such words in relation to the issue. But the emotive expression isn’t here to be ignored whether directed at Fairphone or not.

However it seems there has to be room for criticism of not just the specs of the phone, or the manufactures but of the authors of posts.

In this topic is may seem a bit off to criticise Fairphone over their choices of features, but that is easily understandable. However I now note the criticism of words like ‘arrogant’ and ‘our’ which when applied to the topic of specs or the company are technically still within the bounds of a reasonable discussion.

but

And another thread seems to become closed soon if you continue like this…

seems to be stretching the topic even more.

Opinions of opinions are fine but picking on words and targetting someone on their choice of words seems to be missing the point.

People have issues with the phone, in this case only future specs, and although issues with other people’s emotions can dilute the topic I would have no desire to kill it or close it.

I wonder how such issues can be addressed, without continuance.

1 Like

Well, just 3 remarks from me and how I see it:

1. I have set this topic to slow mode, to give everyone some time to think before posting/replying.
  2. When it’s getting personal and about phrasing a posting, try using PM (private message) instead of taking such discussions out in a topic. That’s leading discussions astray.
  3. Most Important:
    EVERYONE please add just 4 words to the beginning of almost every posting (EDIT (as I forgot) in your mind, when you read it). Those are:
    In my personal opinion”.
    And then be prepared to let other peoples’ opinion stand, even if one disagrees. Not every posting has to be replied to.
16 Likes

I really think Fairphone should’ve waited a few months. The 778G would’ve been much better. 5G support with mmWave. And WiFi-6E, while still being a midrange SoC. That SoC is much more logical if you plan to support a phone for 5 years and keep people happy. I really don’t get why they went for the “just not it” SoC…

Probably because a phone ain’t developed in a week, but in months or years. And always, a few weeks later there will be a better, cheaper, or smaller new platform.

9 Likes

Well, that’s obvious. But the 778G wasn’t released much later than the 750G. As a systems integrator, like Fairphone is, they probably get an NDA preview of what’s to come to base their roadmap on. Just speculating based on my own experience in the tech industry. They probably knew that the 778G was coming and would only cause a few months of delay to go for that one, in order to support a more future-proof phone. Really sucks that it’s the 750G, aka, 750meh :slight_smile:

And by the way, the screenprotector and case are only available by the end of November. So it seems like Fairphone could use that extra time :nerd_face:

1 Like

Not sure a few months are acceptable, or clear not else Fairphone would have I’m sure.

Secondly the delay in the screen protector may be an error in supply not one of Fairphone’s decision. The screen protector could have been an after thought.

There seems to be quite a lot of suppositional barbs thrown at Fairphone for what they could and could not have done.

Somewhat better than the shoulds and should nots that others have throw around.

Well, for those who care about it:
Fairphone just told me that there is NO notification LED

I have nothing more to say :unamused:

9 Likes

Sad but thanks!

But: in the beginning of FP3, there was also no notification LED because the functionality of the LED was limited and only used as a charging LED…

4 Likes

It kind of makes sense to do that… on a device with OLED, where you put screen always-on

2 Likes

Erm I would call it somewhat differently… they struggle and hang on while they sell a factor of 68000 less phones. They might be ‘showing’ but almost nobody seems to be watching.

I’m not angry or something like that, they make choices, and so will I.

1 Like

That does not sound angry at all, just negative.

You’re watching, but not buying. That counts, and so do a lot more people.

I don’t think this device is made or marketed towards the poor. It isn’t a budget phone; it is mid-range (and the price for all smartphones has gone up up up). So that market is already gone (and it is big), plus you cannot market it on poorer countries either. Its marketed towards people in the West (of Europe to be precise) who like to live in a more fair society, and people who like to repair their own hardware, or keep using their hardware longer. The 2nd/3rd market is seeing the Framework innovative modular laptop which might’ve been influenced by Fairphone. Then there’s also Pinephone and Librem 5, who’ve no doubt looked at how Fairphone do it. Smartphone makers are increasing software support, starting with Project Treble and empty promises but we also finally see some promises being held, such as longer security updates (but also longer feature updates). For example, people in the right to repair movement watch as well, and it shows policy makers it is possible to have a more fair smartphone. Perhaps its even influencing the right to repair policy which is in development in EU.

Of course I don’t know for sure any of the above. I mean, why would they disclose it? But we’ve seen Fairphone in the news, being referenced. Its more than just X devices sold. I’d also like to think positive when it comes to this. (I’ll be more critical when it comes to security.)

6 Likes

In addition to the comments listed in my previous comment, if Fairphone would’ve gone for the 778G, then they could’ve now switched their production to the 778G Plus. Which is the same SoC, but upgraded performance! :sunglasses:

Of course this is something they probably wouldn’t have known about. But if they went for that chip. Then it may have been possible to upgrade your Fairphone with a new base module, so Fairphone would’ve been the first phone to have ever gotten a CPU/GPU upgrade in its lifetime!

Snapdragon 778G Plus, a follow-on to Snapdragon 778G with boosted GPU and CPU performance, is designed to deliver cutting-edge mobile gaming and accelerated artificial intelligence (AI) to enable stunning photo and video experiences.

and if the Queen would have balls she would be King…

4 Likes

All we hear is radio gaga radio googoo radio gaga radio googoo
The Queen did have balls and was King :slight_smile:

(post deleted by author)

8 Likes

Because that’s only partly true/relevant.

It runs version9 which is and was not the most recent version…

And

" Fairphone noted that Qualcomm stopped supporting the Snapdragon 801 chipset inside the Fairphone 2 after Android 6.0 Marshmallow. In fact, the company essentially had to work with the team behind the LineageOS custom ROM to whip up the update itself."

This practice of using an older (soon to be unsupported) chipset seems to be repeated with the FP4…

" It seems fairly incredible that the company had to jump through so many hoops to get Pie working. Fairphone may be a niche brand, but when you consider the horrible reputation that Android phones have in terms of updates compared to iPhones, it really drives home the fact that there is almost always zero guarantee of a phone continuing to receive updates after two or three years on the market."

And

Most of the major players like samsung only offer support for 2 to 3 years.

Therefore IMO it seems not very likely that a significantly smaller player has more resources or power to write the rules… They might want or wish to do exactly that, but I seriously doubt the feasibility of this goal.

Well what’s the point of making a reference to it? :wink:

No it’s not, in our current ‘western’ world economy, marketshare most important, even if you or I don’t like it. It’s the numbers that count, and only the numbers that count. IMHO. At least that seems the only common denominator.

Some call it negative, others might call it realistic or disappointed… even when you pursue different values personally.

Funny that you quote Samsung, because by now they guarantee 4 years for all of their Galaxy models. And to my knowledge they already delivered on that promise with the S7 from 2016.

3 Likes

Those are security updates, if I understand correctly?