FP4 - Pictures Gallery

Any news about an update yet? Support said there would be an update in February that would solve some camera issues. Another update would arrive in March. Seems like delayed? I really need a new phone, if they would fix the low light quality of the camera and the low volume of the microphone, then this phone would be usable for me.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has received any other official statement
Thus it is called: Continue to wait, or again ask the support, with the indication that February is over since today… :wink:

Hello. I am new to Fairphone but have been wanting to buy my first one for a while. I was waiting for my old Samsung to really die! I’m ready to buy the Fairphone 4 now, but from what I am reading in this thread, do I understand that I should hold off because there will be an improvement to the camera coming? Thanks.

2 Likes

There is an update coming, yes. But if you don’t mind the current picture quality that you see in this thread, then you shouldn’t stop yourself from buying this phone. I’ll wait for these updates, among other fixes before I buy this phone again. But that’s me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Forgive my ignorance, but will the improvements to the camera will be delivered via an update? Meaning that I can buy the phone now. I thought it was a physical improvement to the phone! I think that when you have a Fairphone, you are more connected to how the phone works and it is useful to have a better technical understanding of it.

1 Like

I had a Samsung S10e and Pixel 6 before.
No comparrison to the FP4 CAM
Both were/are MUCH better.
No tricks help really

If you put a lot of emphasis on the camera, then the FP is not for you.

Well, I’ve got the Samsung Galaxy J3 from 2017, which I don’t think is very flash, so it will probably be better than that.

2 Likes

in that case, right…

2 Likes

Yes, many forum members wait for a promised software update that should improve picture quality. the hardware is fine, so it all depends on FP developers to send an (over the air) update to improve the picture processing.

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, that’s very helpful. Looks like I can go ahead!

2 Likes

In the following topic you can find some 48M photos from me after the last update. They look great in my oponion.

Pictures are too bright in 48MP

I took this in the morning. the sun is shining and enough light in the room. but i see much noise. I hope the support can fix that.

1 Like

I checked the picture quality of other phones that use the same camera sensor, none of them had great quality in low light. Not saying it’s impossible to improve the quality, but it doesn’t give high hopes.

1 Like

I like to say it again.
Even if one or the other may not like it now. But let’s be honest:
If you prioritize the camera on your smartphone (which I can understand. who still carries a separate camera around today), you will never be happy with the FP camera.
You can twist and turn it however you want. That is a fact.
The software will never be able to work magic. As UPPERCASE writes, the sensor remains the limiting factor.
You either live with it or leave it alone by buying another smartphone. Fairtrade or not.

Another thousand photos here won’t change anything. A thousand more niggles here won’t change anything. Unfortunately, it doesn’t get any better. At most minimally with software fixes.

The camera is enough for me, as bad as it is. However, it is also only on priority list position 3 downwards for me. :wink:

The Google Pixel series and the Samsung S series have good and uncompromising cameras. If you want good pictures, you cannot avoid them. Or just the I-Phone. But a completely different topic, since it is not Android.

2 Likes

So I shall shut up and go away? Or can I still being part of the discussion? My interest for posting here is to inform people as me, which were looking for details and to share experiences.

5 Likes

Did someone say that?
Why so testy right away? :rofl:

I hope they won’t. I prefer to denoise my images manually if I feel the need. I don’t like most smartphone’s behaviour of aggressive noise reduction that removes detail that I can never restore.

2 Likes

I guess it depends on the methods used. Pixel pictures are not aggressive in that regard. It’s crispy clear.

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp4-pictures-gallery/78667/22?u=uppercase

1 Like

All Google Camera Port Wichaya

6 Likes

Can someone also compare the latest camera updates with the Gcam? That may give some indication of progress.