FP4 not supporting LineageOS and MicroG = EXIT FP4

I dont know the look of Calyx OS as its not available for FP3 and can just say after using LOS for several years on my FP2 I really like Iode OS as its mainly LOS+microG+Iode (adblocker) App (not yet open source)

If you happen to have fairphoneangels in your vicinity (see communitymap) you could ask whether they would perhaps have the expertise and willingness to help with the install.

2 Likes

Hi.
Me too donā€™t wanted BigG in my phone and not very happy when had buy my Fairphone with Google Android. But it was not too difficult to install eOS. Someone did it recently, if you would ask: Install e/os on my FP4
Good luck!

2 Likes

Also worth mentioning if you donā€™t have a Fairphone 4 yet, you could buy one from Murena and get it with /e/ OS preinstalled.

2 Likes

1 Like

Well, I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s stopping anyone from making the flashing process easier if someone feels strongly about it. Not like they can prevent it. Itā€™s also not the worst thing in the world for someone to be able to make some money out of providing you a valuable service in the form of some free/open source software that doesnā€™t phone homeā€¦

On the other hand thereā€™s plenty of people who are perfectly happy to flash with what theyā€™ve got and thereā€™s still instructions. If they really were trying to force people to buy preflashed they could just not provide any.

2 Likes

Indeed they just have to provide the sourcecode, not an installscript/image.

Thanks , i did and will flash ā€˜iodeā€™ when the phone arrives

1 Like

They do provide the source code, or what do you mean?

Thatā€™s imho the good thing, that thereā€™s a lot of choice possible.
Just be cautious in case you want to relock the bootloader after the installation. It seems that this might bring risks with every custom ROM.

I seem to recall @Error managed to build LOS with embedded MicroG, maybe thereā€™s a build somewhere you can just flash if you ask around ?

Today i saw ubuntu touch is now available for fairphone 4

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t recommend to flash an unofficial version now. Official LOS should be available soon and shortly after, there will be a version with integrated microg services (https://lineage.microg.org/).

1 Like

Never tried Ubuntu Touch but on every single test video I watched reviewing it on different devices, it seemed very very laggy. I wonder how well it performs on FP4ā€¦

That would mean i could not use my (new) phone as i am not going to use a Googled version. For now i have iode installed and it works fine at first glance. But as a years long user of lineage.microg.org i probably switch to that when available as i like the vanilla feel of it.

i havent seen actual footage yet of performance but there was talk about a very good experience

Ah now I get it, youā€™re just flame-baiting and not really reading the replies. Nevermind in that case.

2 Likes

I find this behaviour more and more common lately in the forum. Sad !

@Carighan @Alain_Guillet What are you rambling about? What is the problem?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.