FP4: News/Rumours and Updates

That, or Fairphone keeps up with the latest Android releases to keep the hardware relevant. Fairphone has a focus on hardware, while Google Pixels have proven you can also keep a phone relevant by improving performance, including the camera, without hardware replacements.

2 Likes

Google massively focus on AI which has improved the camera a lot. This is something way beyond Fairphoneā€™s resourcesā€¦

3 Likes

I agree. Therefore it would be a cool thing to see a collaboration between LineageOS, /e/OS, Librem and many more to create an open-source competitor. This could also include universities to take up bits and pieces of the project as research projects/PhD. This is how BSD also started, and frankly the Internet. Itā€™s a challenge, but I donā€™t see this as something impossible. Of course you might also attract AI experts willing to spend some free time on the project.

3 Likes

Universities to rebuild something that has already been invented? You know that the pros are hired by those who have all the money to finance science. The first university that reports breaking news about new technology research gets an offer from Sundar Pichai or Tim Cookā€¦

If I was such an expert, I would not do it for free. I would rather found and raise my own company, and use my expertise to make business.

We are getting off-topic, because the FP4 most likely will not sport any AI techniqueā€¦

University students, yes. Projects like these fit in the curriculum of AI faculties. Get the faculties involved and together with Fairphone a roadmap can be setup and be broken up in pieces for students to work on as research projects/PhD. They already work on things like this, why not apply it to the community? Sure, after that they might work somewhere fancy, or they continue to work on it in their free time. Meanwhile the next batch of students can continue.

Maybe itā€™s also possible to invoke some interest from camera companies looking for something like this. Who knows, maybe Nokia will join such a project as well. Open-source works, if that hasnā€™t been proven by now :slight_smile: Communities can do great things.

1 Like

As if Fairphone ever applied developments initiated by the community (Lineage OS, or a FP2 bottom module featuring a USB-C port). However, they have hired the services of a community member to support their Android ROM development, AFAIKā€¦

1 Like

I was hoping would be for the FP4 but has spun off to voice opinions of what people, could or should do, but here are images of the FP4

1 Like

I like it, but already the numbers differentiate.

I would use the same color for the current model at all time (with the + being an iteration of the current). That color could be blue (given the logo of Fairphone) or green (given the trend with the case etc).

Then I would use say red for the current predecessor.

And for the rest I would use the same color, some kind of gray. Why? Because theyā€™re no longer supported.

Thanks, but It is the same font ā€œCourier Primeā€

The models are no longer supported by Fairphone, but the Forum (and we know, there is a difference) still has users who ask a question about a problem with these models. Therefore, no, not a uniform grey.

can you show a picture ?

A variant with a different font.
FairPhone-F-1_32x32

FairPhone-F-2_32x32

FairPhone-F-3_32x32

FairPhone-F-4_32x32

This iteration of designs seem very dark compared to those extant and the shades of red/orange which are a peel off of the Help parent category.

The font is too bold and quite heavy for meā€¦

1 Like

yep
FairPhone-FH-1_32x32

FairPhone-FH-2_32x32

FairPhone-FH-3_32x32

FairPhone-FH-4_32x32

I think the Number should be clear readable. The colour is beside.

1 Like

We are discussing the aesthetics of the forum, and of all the complaints Iā€™ve come across I have not heard that the forum Category tag colour was an issue or that the number was unclear 1, 2, 3, 4 but if someone has difficulty in separating colours then numbers do help and at least add an initial IDā€¦

However
Shades of blue are used to identify which phone is under discussion in the Forum

Shades of red are used to identify which phone is under discussion in Help

But for an indepth discussion on this it may be better served under

2 Likes

That is much better, thanks!

Just to mention @UweER, we wonā€™t and canā€™t change the font, the size and the logo of the categories, only name and colour. So donā€™t spend too much time kindly doing new designs :slight_smile:

7 Likes

On size of the phone, the good news is that the overall dimensions if data is to believed is that the fp4 is smaller. Down from 158mm to 148.7 and believe or not only 7.8mm thick than the 9.89 of the fp3

Wow! with a larger active screen ??

SOC 690

71.5mm wide

God damn it stop with this ā€œtoo wide to graspā€ nonsense

Hi @BiggusDiggus

Iā€™m not aware of anyone saying the phone is ā€œtoo wide to graspā€ in this topic, you may like to make ref to know whom you are referring.

There may have been comments to that effect elsewhere in which case it would have made more sense to me to post in that topic the the new proposed FP4 i 0.03mm smaller :slight_smile:

And as you appear not to have done either of the above, what is the ā€˜god damn it stopā€™ supposed to do. Well at least it started with a small g.

Yes, but youā€™re on your own w/these. No more chipset updates, theyā€™re no longer secure. Not something you want to do anything serious on. Probably not even something you wanna hang on your WLAN.

1 Like